Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed Democratic Party wants to buy my domains Dems2008.org & 2008dnc.org - Help Please

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markts

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
3 years ago I followed the USA election very close as we were very upset at George Bush because of Iraq. I followed the Democrats homepages (dems2004.org & 2004dnc.org) and the kerryedwards.com domain fiasco. I bought about 30 political domains and I was surprised that 2008dnc.org & dems2008.org domains were free. I bought them and thought what are the democrats doing, this is crazy, these domains should all be purchased for the next 50 years" Since then all of my political domains went bust and I let them expire except for a few.
So, I was contacted two days ago by a director of the Democratic Party. He asked me about a domain the domain dems2008.org if I would sell it. I wrote back and say yes and I have 2008dnc.org too.(democrat national convention (or committee or congress?) Today he writes back and say yes he is interested and how much do I want for them. I want to sell them for a fair price because I do not like George Bush and I think that maybe this convention is the one where a white man or a black man or a woman wins the nomination. That is cool. So I want to be fair for them and me.

What do you all think is a good & fair price for these domains?

Are their any ethics issues associated with this domain? (although I would not sell to the republicans)

Would trere be any legal issues such as immenant domain)

please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated because I must now write back to him.

Thank you

seanboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Charge them a TON, you know they can afford it :)

Honestly, I don't know what you should tell them, but you shouldn't let your politcal views influence your sale.

3dGEEK

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:)

Last edited:

DNA

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ask them what's the maximum they can offer you ,implying indirectly in the writing that u will need some real money. In this way, you will know how important is this domain for them? then decide yourself the rest.

smashfactory

Queen of Domainland
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
markts- if they had not written you, what would you have felt comfortable selling it for, to say just someone off sedo?

NameGuy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not much unless you want to take your chances with udrp.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is your one shot at selling them - if they don't buy them (and there are probably many options open to them) you will have to develop to see any profit.

Making them go first on price is a smart move, and could be a nice surprise...I can't see them coming back with a lowball $50 offer!

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just tell them you will take .01% of their new tax hikes in exchange for the domain. They're used to spending someone else's money, especially when it's in percentages rather than hard dollars. You'll make like... BILLIONS!!!

IF they balk, tell them you'll sell the domains to the Republicans :)

GoPC!

smashfactory

Queen of Domainland
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i dont know if i would do that- have them offer first- your not dealing with mikey on the corner here- come up with a reasonable price that you would have asked to generally sell it- be truthful and tell them that is the price you had intended to market it at- then wait on them- i dont think you are going to see like 10 grand from them to be honest, no matter how much money they have- plus...... they know where you live :)
and, it is an org, and it is a dated domain- after 2008, whose gonna buy it???? tell them you were going to market it for 2008.00 :)

Salient

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Assuming legitimacy of contact, I'd say take 2- or 3K U.S. for the pair. That would be a great deal considering you paid reg. fee.

And I would heed Nameguy's post above. Your story screams "bad faith."

domainah

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Tell them you are a fan of the democratic party and all you want is to meet the presidential candidate after he wins at some white house event.

allanh

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Tell them you are a fan of the democratic party and all you want is to meet the presidential candidate after he wins at some white house event.

which might be never :smilewinkgrin:

dmblea

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just saw on the news that it was just announced that the DNC Convention will take place in Denver.

I hope my domain DNCConvention.com will benefit from this announcement. RNCConvention.com seems to point to the official GOP Web site.

markts

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well guys and gals, I just got finished writing ‘the letter’ to the Internet director of the Democratic National Committee with my wife concerning pricing for the domains Dems2008.org and 2008DNS.org I placed the letter, in it’s entirety, in this reply. Some of you will certainly think I’m crazy.

First I would like to explain a few points. I requested appraisals from you all in 5 different forums and tried to determine a price that was fair. My dealings in the domain sale market have been filled with failures. Take a look at this thread I wrote in 2004 and just found entitled "46 domains for $1.26? Politics suck" http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?p=412637

Funny, these two same domains couldn’t sell with 44 others for $1.26 in 2004.

Now some National Democratic guy is interested in my domains and some of you have suggested it’s value at $XX,XXX. Times are changing.
My wife and I discussed each and every one of your answers, from all 5 forums and wrote the following letter:

=================================================

Hello J,

Congratulations, I noticed that you party has chosen Denver as the host city for the convention. I would love to be in that hall as they announce the candidate who will become the next President of America.

I have been contemplating a fair price to ask for the domains with my wife and we find it very difficult. I bought these domains together with about 40 other political domains during the 2004 campaign after being inspired by the kerryedwards.com domain fiasco. I didn’t sell a single domain and let nearly all expire.

I held on to 2008DNC.org and Dems2008.org, I guess, waiting for the day that the Internet Director for the Democratic National Committee in Washington, DC USA would contact me. I have no experience in domain sales and have no idea of the value of these domains.

I wrote in domain sales forums to ask for appraisals of these domains and was surprised at the answers that I received, in general telling me to ask anywhere from $20,000 to $70,000. They claim that this is the price of a few political TV commercials. It seems that they feel politicians have not shown ethical behavior in their money spending and that I should try to get as much as I can, even if it comes from their tax dollars. My wife and I do not believe this is correct.

We believe in the American political system and that the strongest influence in world politics and peace is the American government. We believe that President Bush has tarnished the American image in this world and it will take a very long time and be very difficult to restore.

The coming convention in Denver will make history by having blacks, whites, and woman all running as top candidates. This shows America’s fairness to all people regardless of color or gender and is a sign of hope for the world. I anticipate that the Americans will then rally behind the ‘chosen one’ and he or she will lead this world to 8 years of positive actions. I would be proud, in a small way, to participate in this convention.

To tell you the truth, What would I do with these domains if the democrats didn’t buy them? I certainly wouldn’t let them fall into the hands of the republicans and would most probably make a ‘pay per click’ page to retrieve my losses in the domain sales market.

J, If you could please determine a price for these domains I would greatly appreciate it. I would trust the judgment of professionals such as yourself and any other person who may be involved in this decision. I will proudly accept the decision of the US Democratic National Committee as fair, and can assure you a swift transfer of the domains Dems2008.org and 2008DNC.org to the DNC servers.

Thank you, M

=================================================

I would like to stick a poll at this point.

This man and his letter are ……………………..

Please start you reply with one of the following words,

DUMB
or
CRAZY
or
BRIGHT

Check out our family webpage too. www.Santacla.us

smashfactory

Queen of Domainland
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
you followed your heart- i'm proud of ya :)
sometimes, domains arent all about the money- to some i guess, but sometimes, it's not :) good for you- as long as your content with your decision, then no matter what anyone says, thats all that matters-

DarkStealth

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Tell him 12K each and if he wants to work something out let him.

BGray

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yuck!

I'd suggest pushing the number to make up for the increased taxes your going to get over the next few years. :p

I'd don't play the political game either way really but I do take sides when it comes to taking my money and history speaks for itself.

domainah

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
interesting...you started this thread saying you just want a fair price..whatever...I dont know about the other forums, but here (and I think this is the best known forum) people telling you its a 2-3K domain, someone said (very valid point) its worth the cost of filing for it because of bad faith which is about 1.5K..so in this letter you are basically lying to the guy... you are saying one thing and do the other.. you know what you have become? A Republican...

allanh

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't think any of us valued it at 20~70K

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom