Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed Democratic Party wants to buy my domains Dems2008.org & 2008dnc.org - Help Please

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it's surely a conspiracy by the other party...in fact, everything is a big conspiracy..they are watching us all...be afraid. Be very afraid.

loscocco

is out kiteboarding
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
make them name the first price.. then go up from here with your counter offers. I am often surprised at how much a end user will offer out of the blue.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
make them name the first price.. then go up from here with your counter offers. I am often surprised at how much a end user will offer out of the blue.

I agree that the person who makes the approach should be the first to name a price. However, here is an opportunity to at least give them a range of what is expected.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would like to stick a poll at this point.

This man and his letter are ……………………..

Please start you reply with one of the following words,

DUMB
or
CRAZY
or
BRIGHT

Check out our family webpage too. www.Santacla.us

I'll answer that after I see their reply...LOL

My guess is that after he's finished changing his trousers after pissing himself laughing - he'll send a cheque for $500, tops.

I did suggest getting them to make an offer, but not to prime him to lowball you....that said, you don't have too many options with those names.

I hope he suprises and proves me wrong, and at least makes you four figures. Good luck!

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I was getting mid ##,### hits everyday on my domain and hundreds of emails asking how to send contributions.

I wish I had your problem, so I could recontribute that money to the RNC. :usa2:

domainah

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I didn't know anything about the domain business and the only reason I owned the domain was because it was my name :yes: . I decide that if they called looking to buy the domain I would sell for $5k. Long story short(er) they called me and for some reason I said I'd sell for 10k. They said thanks but no thanks :disappointed: . I thought that I had shot myself in the foot. I kicked myself for a couple of hours, and then I started to get a bunch of emails offering me anyware from $5k-15k.

hi, oh.. I thought you wanted over 100K in that auction and the high offer was like 80K...thats at least how I remember it..no?

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:popcorn:

duceman

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My bad, I should have put the name in the post... KerryEdwards.com

hi, oh.. I thought you wanted over 100K in that auction and the high offer was like 80K...thats at least how I remember it..no?
No if there was an offer actual confirmed offer of 80k I would have taken it.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
so wonder what reply (if any) he got back about these domains? markts?

markts

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi all, Been busting my butt all day at work, getting ISO quality certified. Surprised at all the comments you sent, thank you. I’d like to reply to a few of them. First the one’s that have to do with the ‘letter decision’.

How do you know the inquiry is from the democrats and not the GOP?
The guy who contacted me was sincere and asked if I wanted to sell Dems2008.org because the 2004 version had been their official convention site. He had a very official email address and included his telephone number. A google of his name and a search of the dnc site verified all info. I’d verify DNS server info at transfer.
I got a bunch with this theme, more in the other forums
Not much unless you want to take your chances with udrp.
Good advice. As it is now, you'll be lucky to get anything but a registered letter. I got rid of rnc.net because all they have to do is say they want it via udrp and it will be so.
I checked the trademark office and dnc is in fact registered. I don’t want to deal with problems from the Democratic Party in America.
From my exp they won't be willing to pay much. Believe it or not it they still aren't completly clued in to the value of direct navigation domains. I was getting mid ##,### hits everyday on my domain and hundreds of emails asking how to send contributions.

I didn't know anything about the domain business and the only reason I owned the domain was because it was my name :yes: . I decide that if they called looking to buy the domain I would sell for $5k. Long story short(er) they called me and for some reason I said I'd sell for 10k. They said thanks but no thanks :disappointed: . I thought that I had shot myself in the foot. I kicked myself for a couple of hours, and then I started to get a bunch of emails offering me anyware from $5k-15k.

One way or another I ended up with Sedo doing an auction that fell flat on it's a** but I earned mid $##,### in 160 from ppc and fell in love with a new business.

by the way the domain still earns a few bucks a month :D

good luck
Kerry
Hi guy, I only know you from CNN and it’s a pleasure to write to you. I had a sort of similar situation. A few years back I bought and developed a site for my brother. The domain name was his company name www.theenginecompany.com
A very very large Engine company adopted the name as their slogan. An employee of their webmaster called my brother and after speaking realized that they had something in common, Harleys. He then suggested to my brother that he ask $50,000 for the domain. Now that was a very inside tip, from the guy calling to buy it. We never heard from them again.

Now last but not least, a special thank you for this one.
markts- if they had not written you, what would you have felt comfortable selling it for, to say just someone off sedo?
Probably $1000. minus sedo’s 50% or so. My father once told me that if you can double your money consider yourself lucky. That would be about $60 a domain. Really if I made $2000 it would cover all my losses over the years. These two domains where in this very forum in 2004. I could not sell them for $1 and 26 cents.
See www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?p=412637
Guys, we can all use money and it would be great if they thought $XX,XXX were fair. I don’t know but I trust that the Americans will be fair.

Now a few of other notes which don’t necessarily relate but I would like to address.

I don't think any of us valued it at 20~70K
and
interesting...you started this thread saying you just want a fair price..whatever...I dont know about the other forums, but here (and I think this is the best known forum) people telling you its a 2-3K domain, someone said (very valid point) its worth the cost of filing for it because of bad faith which is about 1.5K..so in this letter you are basically lying to the guy... you are saying one thing and do the other.. you know what you have become? A Republican...
The other forum was not as popular, at the moment 285 views and 19 replies. Many did suggest $xx,xxx to $XX,XXX and I haven’t been called a liar for many years. Whatever.
yeah..he has gotten greedy now..it started with him being a democrat wanting to help the party win..now he is looking for the WMD.com appraisal thread in the forum, making up numbers for the first lady...telling us that no domain will be left behind and that the mission is accomplished with those evil Doer-mainers..
I didn’t see the WMD thread yet but will check it out in a few minutes, Thanks

I do not understand this one. What is squatting? Don’t you all register domains and hope you could make a profit from them?
I want to stress here, I totally understand what you did...you took the "I am a fellow human being" approach, which is exactly what I would have been compelled to do if I was into politics (I'm not) and my beloved Democratic party wanted the domains I had, the point you are missing is that either you (A.) be a dirt bag and milk them for all the money you can or (B.) Just give them the domains and ask for a hug. There is no (C.) option here...business is business, personal is personal. You know when you registered the domains (as you stated) you had bad faith intentions and hoped you could make a profit from them, so here it is in your lap and you ask them to determine a price? Bro, you better pray they even offer you a few k, it might be like $500 or something and they say thanks for helping your country. (which is'nt a bad thing to do, unless of course you actually wanted to make money) Either way, you seem like a very decent person and I'm suprised you would even be "squatting" on these names! Good job! :hippie:
Did I have bad faith intentions? Maybe I don’t understand, do you buy names that you think nobody wants? I thought the purpose of speculating on domains was to make a profit. I really did not know I was doing something unethical by registering these domains.

I wonder if the sudden involement of his better half had something to do with that..and the fact that a 3 carat diamond has going rate of about 20-70K
My wife is one of the most wonderful women in the world. The involvement is not sudden; we discuss everything with each other – always. She only wears the wedding band I placed on her finger and the engagement ring only comes out at special occasions. She has never shown extravagance and I love her very much. Check out the gingerbread house she made this Christmas, or the Advent Calendar, or her buildice oversized ice cube structures and igloos or ice fishing for dinner in front of the house. www.santacla.us
ps - almost forgot, good move putting the whois in the wifey's name! word up...and I love the santa claus outfit and janete.net :wink:
The domain is hers and she will decide what to do with any cash we might receive. You know what? No, I better wait to see how this works out first.

I would like to thank all of you for the comments, Republicans included. The DNC has not written back yet. Is that good news and they are determining the value of the domain ar a bad thing and they are preparing udrp thing.
When will I receive the official appraisal from the Dems? I don’t care, it’s an exciting wait.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sell it for the most you can get for it.

Providing this is a legitimate offer from the Dems or DNC: All of it is a tax write off to the party or whomever buys it and they may be a non profit group which means they technically have to spend money taken in.

The time to sell is now as your domain is dated. That will get them about 2 years use out of it.

Personally, about 50K-100K each.

Unless you have deep pockets, they are a non profit, you make a sh*tpile of money anyways, and need a tax write off more than you need extra income. Then you can "donate" the name, have them give you a written certified receipt of the value and write it off on your own taxes.

Then vote republican.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Did I have bad faith intentions? Maybe I don’t understand, do you buy names that you think nobody wants? I thought the purpose of speculating on domains was to make a profit. I really did not know I was doing something unethical by registering these domains.

To clarify...dude, I am on YOUR side..who said it was unethical? My view is...the first person to register it gets it. It's still cybersquatting! :eek:k:

Just a roll of the dice baby...you may get some $$$$$ or you may get a wipo, either way at least you are in the game. If you don't play, you can't win.

Remember Mocus said that!

;)

damion

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think the DNC is reading this thread as well since you mentioned this in your letter.

I wrote in domain sales forums to ask for appraisals of these domains and was surprised at the answers that I received...

Doing a google search for "domain forum" gives dnforum.com first spot on the SERP so i think you may have shot yourself in your foot by giving out so much information if your goal was to make the most of it.

By reading your posts that is not that important to you so no harm done i guess.

NameGuy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Get a response back or phone call??????????

markts

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We are now going on 48 hours and I have still not received a reply for the offer. What does this mean, as you know they could give me a lowball offer and I would accept it. However, how long do I wait? I have received offers from a couple of you that sound pretty good, especially T. but I will think it’s better to wait. I’ll write him again on Monday to be certain that he got my email but if I don’t hear from him soon after I’ll give you a call.
If you had this domain to develop, what kind of site would you build? I’m sure that it would generate traffic and wonder why I didn’t start 3 years ago. How would you develop this uhl?

domainah

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
48 hours..HELLO! its the weekend !..did you ever think about that the guy you emailed might not have the authority to make a 50K decision from official funds? You waited 3 years and didnt do anything with this domain..and now you are getting nervous about a day or two...let the offer come to you...thats the same thing you should have done with the offer by the way...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom