Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed Do Not Waste Money

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gbrott

It's not a matter of "the good of the market", rather a matter of smart business and privacy.

15 months ago I sold 3 names together for $10k, I won't tell you what names they were (and some of you will start calling me a liar, but feel free).

Some of us also tend to register names in certain areas with things in common. It would be foolish of us to give details of which of our many names are the successful ones.

As I said, this is just a hobby - but those of you who register www.stupidnamecentral.com don't need to worry about selling your names.

Another thing - half of the game is being smart about actively selling the domain, not sitting aroung waiting for an email that probably won't come...

tekz999

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No!! Domains Forever!!
I love my domains!!

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sgopalam said:
Nobody denies that.
The approach people are taking by registering existing/dropped names is questiionable.
Why, on this very board, people say two different things:
1) Do not register new names, find expired domains
Also they say
2) Dropped domains drop because they are bad.

Last week I grabbed through pool Patiala.org ( I already have Patiala.com). Is it a bad name ? It dropped because some 'smart' person messed up. I also got Colaba.com which was dropped. You need to look for gems. It takes time and patience.

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
funny ... this thread laid dormant for almost 2 years ...

jedi

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bump! :-D

DomainTurn.com

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Oh failure oh Failure Where art thou
I search through the words to only find
Oh Failure yeah have found me...only to see
The moment you sleep Ill capture thee...

Go after failure know what it is. Find it walk in it and through it, Just when the thought
comes "Iv'e been in it long enough " Turn around go back and touch it again. You should Know failure better that not. Than when someone says I don't think it's working you can say. I have been there let me help you through. Remember you can't play baseball on a soccer field...

Phantom

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One mans trash is another mans treasure.

Ive sold names that people here on this very forum insisted had no resale value at all for x,xxx.

That being said, if you want to become a full time domainer you need to have a lot of working capital. Its a business like any other, and to be successful you must also be dedicated and savvy about your business.

Full time domaining is certainly not for me. I dont have the scratch to get into this game.

I suspect many are in this same position. But you can pick up some very nice profits nonetheless.

Best,
John

sgopalam said:
Hi,

After registering a hundred domain names I have the following to say:

1) All the good names are taken.
2) There is no pint in registering a second rate domain UNLESS you wan to use it your self.
3) You can not make more than $500 even if you sell a second rate domain name as there is somuch choice available for such names.
4) You can sell only 1 out of 200 second rate domains. Whih means you spend $1600 to make $500.

5) Keep this as a hobby, do not make it a passion.

Thanks,
Sreeni.

italiandragon

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
one best drop lately was Jasmin.com

dropped....in the bin and sold for xxx,xxx

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
italiandragon said:
one best drop lately was Jasmin.com

dropped....in the bin and sold for xxx,xxx

You gravedigger!

You just wasted a few minutes of my life resurrecting this useless thread.

khuldun

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
WOW a 4 year old thread!

nrmillions

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Man this thread is old. I must say though that I dont believe that all the good names are registered and that its impossible to register any new good names. There will always be new technologies that will becoming out forever, there are always new words coming out, and there will always be different events happening for people to reg names for. Also things like 4 letter dot coms arent worth anything now but 20 years from now they might be worth big money when they are more rare. So there will always be money to be made.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
nrmillions said:
Also things like 4 letter dot coms arent worth anything now but 20 years from now

And just imagine what they will be worth in about 80, let alone 140, years.

nrmillions said:
they might be worth big money when they are more rare.

Yeah I know, in fact they will be so rare that they won't even exist.

petrosc

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
registering so called "brandable" names and trying to sell them for more than $100 each is the road to bankrubtcy. If some people start thinking beyond their greed, they will realise that there are ways of making money with these kind of domains.
Here is a suggestion:
Spend a week or two compiling a list of nice available names. Try to find names that would get a mid-high $xx estimations in the appraisals thread.
Then register as many as you want for $7 each.

Then, sell them all for $20-25 dollars each. This will make you a net profit of approx 200%. Considering that you will not be able to sell them all though, lets say from the whole investment you make 100% profit each month.

Not that bad is it?

DomainFriend

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's very good advice by petrosc. But not easy to find buyers :(

NAS125

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thats funny... THis thred was started in 2002! And sasquatch - Whats with all your nagativity!!! With "azam" and now this, come on man, lighten up!

BidNo

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
And the other major change from those days; there's hundred of millions in new capital pouring into domain investments. And domain investments can easily outperform any other option. Things are just starting to get interesting.

My $.02.

Cheers,
BidNo

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If domain names didn't make money...none of us would be here right now. Period.

Sasquatch- is the reason why you are so bitter is because you have NO idea what a domain name is, let alone how to sell one after being a member for three years and have a -2 TR? You are in a domain name forum...deal with it.

Let this thread die! Times have obviously changed!

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have registered several domains since this thread was started and have had very solid offers on them.

I have also bought domains that were registered since this thread was started and didn't exactly get them for a nickle and a dime.

The good names are out there. Most people just don't know what they are doing when they register them.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you check the ressurection dates, this thread has almost exactly a 2 year hybernation period. Interesting to see this written in 2002. I think it misses the point that new terms and registration opportunities arrive every day. Looking to the past is difficult and almost futile but the future will continue to offer opportunities.

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
also dont forget in early 2002 there wasnt all the means to make money from traffic like there is today, unless you built a website ,so if you didnt sell a domain you lost money,now there are so many parking companies even small traffic can be very profitable

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators