Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Do you still find good domains unregistered?

MostlyHarmless

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I found a "good" (in my view) short .com domain name unregistered today. It is a short letter/number combination that means something. It suddenly occurred to me as a domain name so I checked to see who owned the domain out of interest. I was surprised to see it wasn't registered.

My "too good to be true" neurons were firing strongly. I checked and found that this particular "meaning" is rarely used these days. I am showing my age.

I appreciate that many serious domainers are looking for word combinations that generate ad revenue. For my purposes a "good" domain is one that works for a particular project In this case I'd have to start a project to fit the domain name, which would be weird. I have a few projects to kick off and it might work for one.

I am coding for a web site for which I had a two word domain name in mind. The combination means something to me and I never thought anyone would register it. Then someone did! It was probably too quirky a name for the project and may put people off it anyway (the first word is "mad" which could be too negative).

I will now stop my rambling.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Good" is very subjective. :)

Chances of finding an unregistered domain that you can quickly flip for a quick buck is small (unless you know of a new tech etc.. coming out). If you plan to develop and have a niche that hasn't been overly-exploited yet then you can find some great domains out there.

MostlyHarmless

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
This couldn't be flipped easily. It is an expression that has fallen out of use. But it is a very short name. All the work would be in thinking up a good web site to host on it to create value. Once I figure out private registrations I'll register it and we can talk about it concretely.

I know what you mean about value being highly subjective. I bought a couple of dog domain names and others with a value that I over estimated. Some things just work for us.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The only things you have to worry about with privacy are inside jobs (highly unlikely - as in an unethical employee is working for the registrar) or a subpoena, which would mean you have legal issues (posting illegal content etc.).

Other than that, you should be fine.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is no shortage of decent domains if you are going to develop them. Flipping them quickly for good money is another story. I'd rather look at the drops, because good domains have usually been registered before.
I just bought a domain name for a blog, but I seldom handreg anymore nowadays.

MostlyHarmless

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I registered the domain. It is TNX1E6.COM

I agree that finding a decent name is 100% possible if you are going to develop them. I haven't looked at drops for a long time. I did manage to get a 4 letter dot com back when the 2008? financial crisis hit. I will have another look out of interest. I think I found that one on snapnames

DavidH

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I regularly find good domain names for hand registration by concentrating on the niches where I have knowledge and experience.

Hence I probably know just a little bit more in those areas than 99% of domainers, so can recognise what is valuable for end users in that niche.

dntoolz

CEO Of Dntoolz.com a domain research website.
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yes indeed. Tons of semi premium domains are available.

john buzz

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
seriously combination of word made strong effect in ad revenue.

ravdn

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yes, very rare but research and maybe you find some good ones.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom