Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Do you take the .biz restrictions seriously?

Will the .biz restrictions be enforced?

• Yes, absolutely

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • No, no way, no how

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • I have no opinion either way

• They are unconstitutional - it's my property

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

So the .biz Registry set out some restrictions on the purchase and use of these domain names. In the FAQ on the Registry site
http://www.nic.biz/faqs/biztld_faqs.html, they state a number of restrictions.

The most serious among these are that .biz names may only be used for a bona fide business purpose, and that they may not be purchased simply to be resold in the speculation market.

In a recent ICANN Watch report http://www.icannwatch.org/article.php?sid=661&mode=thread&order=0, it is noted that there are thousands of .biz domain names now for sale - clearly against the rules of the .biz Registry.

Do you think the .biz registry will take any of this seriously?

Why or why not?

-t

Originally posted by thewitt
Do you think the .biz registry will take any of this seriously?
-t

I really doubt they will take the terms seriously. They promised all kinds of things in their original app to ICANN (same as with .info) - but once they have the registry, its all about the mighty dollar - and the real domain dollars come from speculators.

Its catch 22, they want the quick hit money and that comes from speculators - but an overspeculated namespace will struggle to get momentum with end users.

My guess is ongoing .biz reges will fall well short of their app projections - and that mean they will need to keep speculators sweet come renewal time.

.BIZ is not doing as good as expected. Now it faces competition even from the .US TLD. I doubt they'd do anything.

L

luckyphil

I withdraw my vote, after voting before reading the post = "Idiot".

Whilst rushing through the forum and reading the word "restrictions" as "registrations" I voted incorrectly!
Code:
Do you take the .biz restrictions seriously?

My view is that they would not be able to enforce the restrictions even if they wanted too. Just the shere volume of registrations and the manpower required to assess the rulings would not be financially viable, not even considering the legal aspect in who is going to decide wether the name has been used correctly, or who is to say that the name was not bought with the correct intentions, but then circumstances have changed. Personally I just can't see it being poosible to police.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom