Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed domain-collection.com and career-services.com

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davidthornton

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
domain-collection.com
career-services.com

Interested in appraisals.

Thanks.

morel

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My guess:
about $100 each

The dashes massively hurt the value of the domains imo.

Career-services.com might still find a home with an end user though as its a professional sounding domains name. If you are lucky and get a bite then $500-$1000 should be possible. Reseller wise I think you'd only be likely to get $50-$100.

Domain-collection.com I don't think is really worth much, especially given the well know holder of the non dashed. You might get a reseller wanting it as "novelty" value and again $50-$100 seems about right on it. There aren't really any end users for domain portfolio style domains.

davidthornton

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys
The dashes massively hurt the value of the domains imo.

Career-services.com might still find a home with an end user though as its a professional sounding domains name. If you are lucky and get a bite then $500-$1000 should be possible. Reseller wise I think you'd only be likely to get $50-$100.

I think you're definitely right about dashes hurting the value. However it does sometimes depend on the end user market. The dash might not be so bad, depending on how exactly an enduser wished to use 'career-services.com'. Some people find dashed sites easier to read and if, as you have mentioned, the domain sounds professional it also might not detract from its value. I was thinking of $1000 for end user resell on 'career-services.com'.

Domain-collection.com I don't think is really worth much, especially given the well know holder of the non dashed. You might get a reseller wanting it as "novelty" value and again $50-$100 seems about right on it. There aren't really any end users for domain portfolio style domains.

Again, I'd agree with this. It could be used to build a domain reseller web site but, if (and I honestly hadn't noticed ;)), the non dashed version is in heavy use in the same market it might not be a particularly shrude business move.

eggbilly

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't agree that the dash hurts.

In this case, the dash enhances value - because the name is targeted at a very broad market and an extremely competitive one.

Search engines will love that name - and it's a good generic search term.

I don't appraise because I'm no good at it - but for the record, I have MANY top ranked search engine names, all with dashes and I know recruitment inside out - it's what I do.

I don't really buy in the aftermarket - but if I'd seen career-services.com I'd have regged it for certain.

My advice?

Host it, optimise it for s/e's (you're part way there) and add a host of employment related affiliate programs to it - there are many to choose from.

Still, when has an egg ever been right about domain names?

:rolleyes:

PS - www.search-engine-tips.co.uk if you need s/e assistance at a budget price!

the keywords in career-services.com sounds ok so it may be ok for search engine listing. But as far as resale value goes is there really much of a market for hyphenated domains? I can't say i've seen many sell; do corporates actively buy these kinds of names?

eggbilly

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't know about resale values, but I do have a lot of hyphenated names and they do feature prominently in search engines.

This alone brings potential buyers - often without any competition from other domain sellers - because they are more turned on by the s/e placement than the name.

I've sold names this way - and though it might not be massive money, my portfolio is in profit by a long way - and has been since the month I started doing it.

Hyphens do have a value. If a straight non-hyphenated name is not available (always the first choice for many, I agree), people generally try and get the hyphenated.

It's only an opinion of course - nobody is wrong :)

I say: whoever thought of the hyphen in the first place had no plans for a commercial Internet :D

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, hyphens don't sound good when spoken, although they look clear and logical in the written form.

Just try saying m-e-d-i-a.com :D

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is claimed that hyphens do help search engines parse keywords better, but then again how much that helps in the overall equation, Google ain't telling. Could be minimal for all we know.

It's really the rest of the site that does the real donkey work in beaconing search engines in.

But yes, find-it-here.com reads well on search engines that list the URL of the site, and may prompt the searcher to click in because he sees his needs clearly echoed in the site URL.

The difference is between development/seo and pure inherent resale/type in value.

That hyphens affect resale value is backed by sales data and usage patterns. In the rare occassions where larger cocompanies use hyphenated domains, they have the nondashed to ensure no loss from spillover traffic.

Yes, you can register a hyphenated domains and use it as part of a wider seo program to drive traffic. You could do the same with .ws or .nu - it doesn't add *inherent* value - its value is added from the additional (and skilled) work you've put in.

DnPowerful

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Proof is in the pudding for this seller of 1000+ domains:

Number of dashe-d names sold: 2

That whole nonsense about search engines favoring dashed names is sooooo overrated, always quoted by those selling, but not those that really know the game.

Dashed names are a disaster, as non-dash names always snatch your traffic, no matter your efforts, and it's true that you add a clumsy syllable to spoken uses of the name...

hehe

Of course as much as extreme this example is, we can see that Internet marketing creativity has no limits :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom