Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Domain Evaluations

Commerce

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just looked over the value of Accommodations.net per estibot - $24,000, per godaddy - $5,694

What do you think accounts for the disparity in value?

What kind of things do you do or depend upon to establish a dollar value for a domain name?
(edited to add the question above)

Last edited:
Domain summit 2024

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
See that many times Commerce. I feel it really does depend on what value each puts on different aspect of a domain name.
I have never used any of the online valuations to try and determine value.
They can make you feel good or bad depending on the valuation they give but I think that might be detrimental when you are evaluating your domain as they might convince you of a valuation that can cost you a sale or cause you to sell under value.
just my opinion....

Commerce

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
jaydub, appreciate your inputs on this. I've also seen this in the past. Checked on another name at godaddy of which a more complex variant sold for 6 figures. The estimate was low 5 figures.

Of course, godaddy was also looking at the name, so who knows.

See that many times Commerce. I feel it really does depend on what value each puts on different aspect of a domain name.
I have never used any of the online valuations to try and determine value.
They can make you feel good or bad depending on the valuation they give but I think that might be detrimental when you are evaluating your domain as they might convince you of a valuation that can cost you a sale or cause you to sell under value.
just my opinion....

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with @jaydub

and I think these appraisal tools, will be the death of your ability, to set your own prices.

as the more they get used to evaluate, the more their evaluation results become legitimized

once that happens, then they will control pricing

imo...

Commerce

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agreed. At one point, the value of a domain was essentially however much someone else valued it. While that never will entirely vanish, it creates unneeded and unwanted complexity in the sales process.

I posted this question and another site well known to the domaining community and got an interesting take which I think also has merit:

Evaluation sites are generally best for sifting through large numbers of domains to get statistics relative to a buy decision. They tend to be far less useful where it comes to determining the value of individual domain names per se. Think this is a useful data point.

I agree with @jaydub

and I think these appraisal tools, will be the death of your ability, to set your own prices.

as the more they get used to evaluate, the more their evaluation results become legitimized

once that happens, then they will control pricing

imo...

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators