Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Domain expiring in GoDaddy, how can I get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeLaVega

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is a domain that it seems his owner is not going to renew. It's not yet in Pending Renewal, but it will be in a few days.

I think He's not going to renew it because the site is not working anymore (the site has only a few pages, not very important).

Some years ago I was interested in an expired domain from GoDaddy.

If I remembered correctly, I paid a backorder in GoDaddy Marketplace. The domain was already in Pending Delete. Suddenly, the previous owner decided He still wanted the domain, pay and they returned it back to him. Obviously, They returned my money.

My question is, what should I do to get this domain? Should I place a backorder with GoDaddy? (I think that placing a backorder with snapnames will not work, right?).

Although I place a backorder, will the domain enter into an auction? If I won the auction, the previous owner still can get it? (I think that was what happened to me some years ago).

Many thanks!

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If the domain is not renewed, you will have an opportunity to buy it at nodaddy auctions before it drops. The name will show up there roughly one month after expiry date.
Placing a backorder at nodaddy is useless, this will convert to an initial bid and possibly early raw attention to the domain, and you don't want that.
Just place a bid in the last few minutes of the auction and snipe that domain.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the owner also has a grace period to renew it for... what, $80?... and you won't get the name either. It's happened more times than I can count on my fingers and toes and GD makes you pay for the name after the auction, even though you don't get it for 7 days. On top of that, it takes 3-4 business days for a refund.

It sucks to bid on X domains at once and Y are 'taken' from you, but all X are paid and you have nothing else left to bid with until the 7 days are up and refund back.

I've lost out on some possible good names by putting all eggs in one bidding basket. :)

DeLaVega

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If the domain is not renewed, you will have an opportunity to buy it at nodaddy auctions before it drops. The name will show up there roughly one month after expiry date.
Placing a backorder at nodaddy is useless, this will convert to an initial bid and possibly early raw attention to the domain, and you don't want that.
Just place a bid in the last few minutes of the auction and snipe that domain.

Katherine, many thanks for the info!

DeLaVega

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the owner also has a grace period to renew it for... what, $80?... and you won't get the name either. It's happened more times than I can count on my fingers and toes and GD makes you pay for the name after the auction, even though you don't get it for 7 days. On top of that, it takes 3-4 business days for a refund.

It sucks to bid on X domains at once and Y are 'taken' from you, but all X are paid and you have nothing else left to bid with until the 7 days are up and refund back.

I've lost out on some possible good names by putting all eggs in one bidding basket. :)

David, thank you. Yes, that happened to me before placing a backorder with GoDaddy. They refunded my money, but I wanted that domain. This time I'd like the domain, but I can live without it.

Let's see what happens this time. Thank you!

One more question, if I place a bid in the last few minutes of the auction, I'll get the domain? Or the owner still can get it?

DeLaVega

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why dont you contact the owner directly. He/she might sell it to you.

I did that 5 years ago. He first said He didn't want to sell. Then He asked 5 figures for a domain that maybe is worth medium $xxx as too much. I get a related domain some years ago with a backorder at snapnames and won without problems.

Thank you!

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you place the bid in the last few moments, no you will not get the domain. Check out GD's sniping time to ensure it's done before the extension period (they used to have it 2 minutes which was great, then changed it to 10, now it's to 5 I believe...), if you place a bid within these time limits, the auction is automatically extended. Placing a bid seconds before gives you a good chance, but there are bots and prying eyes out there that see activity on domains and will bid for the hell of it, so ensure your first bid is the highest you'll pay or follow it to the end.

That doesn't mean you'll get the name though (as I've mentioned that it can be renewed; especially if the domain owner wanted 5 figures for it and sees that someone wants it, or your example of a back order).

It pisses me off even more when domainers run CVCV's through the ringer to see what they will get for them at a public auction, then renew them (some are mistake drops though). It's a great way to truly valuate a name, but sucks for the buyers.

DeLaVega

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you place the bid in the last few moments, no you will not get the domain. Check out GD's sniping time to ensure it's done before the extension period (they used to have it 2 minutes which was great, then changed it to 10, now it's to 5 I believe...), if you place a bid within these time limits, the auction is automatically extended. Placing a bid seconds before gives you a good chance, but there are bots and prying eyes out there that see activity on domains and will bid for the hell of it, so ensure your first bid is the highest you'll pay or follow it to the end.

That doesn't mean you'll get the name though (as I've mentioned that it can be renewed; especially if the domain owner wanted 5 figures for it and sees that someone wants it, or your example of a back order).

It pisses me off even more when domainers run CVCV's through the ringer to see what they will get for them at a public auction, then renew them (some are mistake drops though). It's a great way to truly valuate a name, but sucks for the buyers.

Thank you David. I agree, sometimes I think they let the domain fall on purpose.

Let's see what happens, many thanks!

DeLaVega

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One more question about this. To enter the auction at GD, do I need to buy GD Auctions membership for $27.99? Or it's just something GD is trying to sell me?

I remember that 5 years ago I had a membership from them (not sure if it was this), until I "won" one domain in an auction and some days after they took it away from me...

Many thanks!

seoexperttools

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As explained by Godaddy:

Full access to Go Daddy Auctions® is membership-based. To become a member, you must purchase a membership for a low annual fee.
If you already have a Go Daddy account, you can log in to Go Daddy Auctions with the same user name and password. You do not need to create a separate account. If you don't have a Go Daddy account, you must create a new account when you purchase the membership.

If you attempt to list, bid on, or purchase a domain name and you don't have an Auctions membership, we reserve the right to automatically add the cost of a one-year membership to your purchase.

Go Daddy Auctions doesn't charge members for creating basic listings. Once your domain name sells, we keep a small percentage of the selling price. In addition, we offer several paid options that let you increase the exposure of your listing.

Look like there would be additional charge when purchase the domains if you do not have auction membership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom