Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Domain Industry in a slide - Think Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No, the industry is going through a phase of reinvention. It about to become more relevant than ever, but yes of course to achieve this there is going to have to be a shake out. Even Rick has got it largely right on this one. Much of the worthless dross is about to be dropped. We have seen how all the new hyped extensions included the much vaunted dot mobi have failed to gain traction one after another. That is ultimately because they are attempting to serve non-existent markets. The squeeze is gradually being applied to the cyber-squatters and TM Typo brigade, and the Search Engines are gradually being cleared of shanty town developments by domainers spamming them with worthless content hosted on worthless domains. The only real opportunities in terms of new registration will be to serve those markets which are under-developed because they don't routinely operate in the English language or Latin character sets. OK, many domainers will struggle with the concept of working with a foreign language, but they all seemed to manage in English, when half of them appear to have barely got a handle on that.

5 numbers numerics .com will be the next gold rush.

Why not 8 digit numerics? After all eight is much more auspicious number than 5.

How much do people pay for random phone numbers?

Isn't the whole point of domain names about substituting numerical sequences that the human brain struggles to recall with meaningful strings that are easy to remember. Three digit sequences are fine, anything with repetition or patterns stands a chance to six digits and beyond, but ultimately its down to rarity, and random 5 letter strings just aren't rare enough to make it worth paying big bucks for, let alone sinking a whole load of advertising dollars into.

Most mistakes in this game are made because investors don't think the problem through. Anyone that believe that random 5 figure numerics are going to yield a significant return just has not thought it through. But then perhaps that is not the angle with a Pump and Dump operation?

clasione

DNForum.com Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I come from real economy, from a manufacturing company and I really think Internet and domains are the only way to growth and prosperity.
That report is 100% right, domain value is maybe just a little sliding while the real economy is totally taken down to zero so this is the difference.
When financial meltdown will be over, all the Internet pioneers and domain owners
will have a privileged position.
Just wait, wait until the storm is over!

This sounds very acurate to me and I completely agree.. As domains and the net overall are seeing slight pains which are clearly noticable, the rest of the industries seem to be looking at complete catastophy...

Prospecting

Prospecting
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Any industry sustaining no more than 10% loss is beating the global majority trend.

Any industry with more than 10% growth is great and breaking the majority trend.

The domain name industry is in a slide based on its own growth rate over the past few years, but still experiencing unparalleled growth compared to major majority of all global industries.

Last edited:

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Domaining is being hit by all the forced liquidation going on, and that will continue. Like in the stock market, when panic sets in almost all stocks go down, whether a company is solid or not. People and businesses who need to raise cash in a hurry have to looking at selling all assets, whether they are good or not. When this happens, you can pick up good quality at a cheap price because the other guy is forced to sell. But eventually things will turn, in the meantime I don't think domaining related activities will fair as badly as other areas, like real estate or the stock market.

therunner

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I respect the history because it repeats itself. Remember after internet burst, many companies went down and many so called “smart investors” said the internet was over…well, we know what happened; many good names were dropped and caught for other who had the feelings (and guts) everything would turn around and that happened. Right now the offline economy is in edge, no one knows what it is going to happen, but the online business has not slowdown as badly as the news says. I like to think a little contrary, if the news, market and people say everything is wonderful, start to sell and when everything is bad, start to buy. The economy is not going to be in bad recession all the time and the internet will stay here until the final days.

chillking

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think in the next 2 years expect to see a few names selling on DNJournal.com for $20 million pluss , All highsteet businesses and companies are having to move online also dont for get in 2008 fund.com was sold for almost $10 million and i belive pharmacy.com sold for 50 $million If billion doller companies really want a name then millions is nothing to them .

voiceofreason

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Seraphim said:
Morning folks!!

As I was sitting out on the balcony of my French villa smoking a seven thousand dollar cigar, I thought to myself "domaining just rocks". Aside from that the world as we know it is about to end, and as I've been saying for years, 2008 is about to bring us closer to 2009. What's going to happen in 2009 you're all asking? Well, first off domaining is going ROCK for yet another solid year for anyone with a strong .com portfolio, unfortunately however if your domains sucked in 2008, it's likely they're going to REALLY suck in 2009. Another thing to keep an eye out for is around April / May of the coming year, evolution is finally going reverse course, again as I've been predicting for years. You're not going to notice this at first, but by mid July you're going to find yourself naked midway up a tree in your backyard, thinking to yourself "what the fucck am I doing". As soon as that harsh reality hits you smack dab right in the middle of the forehead, you're also going to have another thought cross your mind, "are my parking partners taking advantage of me".

Happy Holidays! :D
LOL... Funny way of putting things in "perspective"... :D...
Cheers..

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hold your horses there.

Think commerce, think marketing, think advertising, think communication, think entertainment, think information gathering, etc., etc., etc..

The 'internet industry' is in a better position than any other industry I can think of to ride the recession and come out of it stronger than at the start of it. Other industries have high capital costs, very few members of the 'internet industry' have. Whilst it is true that some sectors of the industry may feel the recession, most will only have to trim their expenditure inline with public demand, but a public demand that in many of the sectors of the industry is likely to rise as people use the internet more and more to check for bargains and information. The biggest hit will of course be in advertising income, but with such low overheads the domaining sector and info-advertising website sector could well ride the worst of the advertising income downturn during the recession by developing the domains held and giving up parking as a mainstream method of income.

In the medium term of course the recession will aid the future growth of the internet as fewer traditional mainstream press and media outlets as well as highstreet stores will be around afterwards but companies will still have to advertise and will compete for the best advertising spots and people will still need to buy goods.

In the short term there is no better industry to be in than domaining and web-development, in the medium term (coming out of the recession) the picture for those who invest time, effort and money now is indeed rosy.

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Domain industry is stronger than ever.
Internet is a revolution, and domains are the FIRST BASEMENT of internet.
For create a site, YOU ALWAYS NEED A DOMAIN.
INTERNET= WEBSITES = DOMAINS.

The only way to stop this industry is stop the web.

Yeah the real economy is in crisis, but internet economy not.

Domain industry was changed this year and more changes will come next year.
But changes = more money to make.

Who talk about the domain industry crisis is because they don't sell a domain.

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh let the others think it's not a great time to invest and we can mop up then ;)

therunner

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
domains are the foundation of any web and the internet. like a buliding, if your foundation is strong, everything in that building can be held agains any force or weather changes. good name=strong foundation to your business

Donald Aquilano

DON.ME
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes it may hold up for awhile but Companies will be raining in their spending even more 2009/10. Internet businesses rely to much on advertising dollars for them not to eventually take a hit.

Don't fool yourself the internet economy wouldn't survive long without what you call the "real" economy. We are now in a severe recession and eventually it will effect internet businesses.

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Domains will always be in demand as they are the necessary for any entity to create a website. However they can always choose an alternative domain name ;)

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
we can hand register a lot more names now that are expired.

I'm not too sure that this will be such a good idea.

Yusio

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Temporary correction would be a closer analogy to the stock market.

If you've watched any long term bull run, there's plenty of dips along the way.
Indeed, many an investor has lost money bigtime by panic selling in a dip,
at a loss, only to see the market power ahead further down the track.

No long term bull run can be considered healthy unless there are numerous
corrections. It's expected if the fundamentals are sound, and I defy anyone
to state that the long term future of the online economy is not assured.

And that means domains.

I'm not saying the internet won't continue to grow, I'm just saying it's going to be awhile until it gets where it "should" be.

I'm not too sure that this will be such a good idea.

Agreed. If someone dropped them, they were dropped for a reason. No one would drop a valuable domain simply because the market is down at the moment.

napa

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Domain industry will do a lot better than the stock market or real estate in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom