Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

legal Domain registrar or company to oversee domains after passing?

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is there a domain name registrar or service that oversees domain names after passing? With COVID-19 running amuck, and me being susceptible to it, I'd like to put my more valuable domains into the hands of one of these (reputable companies) to handle. I would renew them for 5-10 years and allow the registrar to sell on their market or another, with commission, if the next of kin is able to collect the proceeds, be it automatic or manual, after a death.

Maybe @robmonster has something in his toolbox for something of this nature? It seems like a legal matter that could be brought up to secure future (or current) wealth for the NOK's listed.

Domain summit 2024

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

better to put them in the hands of family or a trusted associate, than a registrar or company.

you never know what a registrar will do and you'll be gone, to do anything about it.

imo...

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wish I could teach a family member what to do with them, but it's like teaching them a whole new skill of selling and valuation.

It'd be nice if there was a company that held them and sold them at a predetermined price, took a cut, and passed the money on, less commission.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rethinking this... perhaps I just put them on the market and renew them for 5-10 years with them as a PayPal recipient or their bank info? Seems like if a sale is made, a sale is made, and it's all theirs and nobody really has to handle anything or even log in as the domain would just push over to them automatically, no?

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think there was a DNW podcast where they talked about this. @amplify

I can only think of 6 domains in my portfolio I would pass on though.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Really seems like the best thing to do is have a plan for someone to take over...

...with the next logical step being a pre-paid credit card attached for auto-renewal and some pre-funding to the registrar as well.

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting thought.
Yes, having someone knowledgeable about domains taking care of them could be a good idea. Maybe a bit of negotiation is needed, maybe the platform where they are listed closes, maybe a new rule comes up which needs something to be done, maybe a change of registrar is necessary, etc. There can be many small things which could need to intervene and where a family member knowing nothing about domains could easily be lost
(Example: Having .eu domains as a UK resident with Brexit)

Would you actually be interested by a service taking over in case of death?
To me, it seems you would need a signed clear agreement, put instructions in your will (you could give out all account information there) including a small amount per domain taken out of your estate to be able to pay for renewals. And then a commission on actual sales (sales which would be for the benefit of a designated person).

And yes, what would be needed is the trusted person/entity with whom you can enter in that agreement to take over if you pass away.

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• SH.png
    SH.png
    54.6 KB · Views: 3

Neoget

Level 5
Reaction score
I consider that the best thing is to teach your relatives to do domaining, because in the end they are the ones who must benefit from your domains.
In case of no relatives to just let the registrar take care of them or donate them to end users before youre gone.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is there a domain name registrar or service that oversees domain names after passing? With COVID-19 running amuck, and me being susceptible to it, I'd like to put my more valuable domains into the hands of one of these (reputable companies) to handle. I would renew them for 5-10 years and allow the registrar to sell on their market or another, with commission, if the next of kin is able to collect the proceeds, be it automatic or manual, after a death.

Maybe @robmonster has something in his toolbox for something of this nature? It seems like a legal matter that could be brought up to secure future (or current) wealth for the NOK's listed.

It actually looks like Epik has a service for all of this.

They also do Forever Registrations.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom