Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Domain Sales - are prices still in a freefall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My pleasure!

I had 3 names in - 1 sold for $480 that I bought for $5 last November.

Congrats. That is a nice ROI. The best deals are when both sites are either happy or not happy.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was done with this thread but see Mike has made several refrences to me since that time, falsely I may add as I have no idea what is occuring until this morning. I would ask you Mike to refrain from mentioning my name in any fashion. I want absolutely no connection to you, possibly one of the worst members of this forum right after theives and scammers, you are highly unprofessional and I amazed at all the spamming you get away with. You are a cancer to this forum, why you are not banned for good is still a mystery to most.

Take your absolute non sense advice, spamming ways, crap names and attacks elsewhere...but elsewhere has already become tired of you too if I recall, maybe dnf could take a hint, when this guy is getting banned eveywhere get a clue and follow suit.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The prices of domain names are definitely on the rise again.

Let's use LLL.coms as an example; in Feb/March/April you could find LLL.com's at the $3k mark and below, you could even see some LLL.coms sell for $2,xxx ! Now the minimum prices seem to pick up towards $4k again and you will have to work your hat off if you're planning to pick up LLL.coms at low $3,xxx anymore.

Long-term I see no reason why .COM domains shouldn't keep increasing in value. The only reason we've seen such a drop in the last few months is because that the global recession has finally caught up with the domain name market.

I believe domainers are more confident, with more guts (and bigger balls) than other investors and therefore the domain market is the last to crash and the first to recover after such a recession.

some may see prices on the rise, but probably missed the fact that they were overpriced in the first place.

before the mortgage, bank and stock failures, LLL.com values were doubling in some cases and many names that were previously sellling for $1K > $2K suddendly jumped up to $4k and $6K.

these prices then fell back down to the $2500 > $3500 range and to this day still haven't climbed back their previous peaks.

i agree partially with Mike031 about LLL trading among newbie domainers, because i've seen many of these circulate from domainer to domainer over the years.

the LLL.com has become a "status" symbol of achievement for many "entry-level" domainers.
but after you've owned and sold a few...then the thrill passes.

you move on to bigger and better usage names that have a wider range of appeal to the end-user market.

imo...

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
some may see prices on the rise, but probably missed the fact that they were overpriced in the first place.

before the mortgage, bank and stock failures, LLL.com values were doubling in some cases and many names that were previously sellling for $1K > $2K suddendly jumped up to $4k and $6K.

these prices then fell back down to the $2500 > $3500 range and to this day still haven't climbed back their previous peaks.

i agree partially with Mike031 about LLL trading among newbie domainers, because i've seen many of these circulate from domainer to domainer over the years.

the LLL.com has become a "status" symbol of achievement for many "entry-level" domainers.

you move on to bigger and better usage names that have a wider range of appeal to the end-user market.

imo...

IMHO I believe LLL.coms have a wider range of appeal to the end-user market than any other niche, unless it's a very specific product-related generic.

You see lots of English 1-word .coms being sold on the reseller market priced way higher than LLL.coms, but I doubt many of them end up with actual end-users.

There are too many 1-word .COMs out there which might have millions of Google results, but still no real meaning and when domainers tend to see them they are often sold at ridiculously high prices.

I bet there are a lot of companies who'd like to own IBT.com (example) and not so many who'd find any purpose owning Looking.com (example) or Therefore.com (example) etc. Many generics needs to be branded by the company to make sense, while acronyms are used in every company's name.

I am of course not comparing acronym LLL.coms to "category killers" like Cars, Loans, Fish, Electronics etc., but such generics mostly does not circulate the reseller market anymore and if they do, they are unachievable by most.

Reece

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There's good money in reselling LLL/LLLL to other domainers... I'm willing to bet the top 10% in these segments make one hell of a lot more than a lot of the keyword/dreamer newbies who think all the endusers will magically come to them with offers through Sedo and that they won't have to do any work at all :)

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone looked at the sales figures from the recent Moniker auction? A lot of really good domains sold for dirt cheap. If you follow these auctions, you will clearly see a huge drop in pricing from over a year ago, and my feeling is it will only get worse... Good for resellers/investors, bad for domain owners looking to unload fast.

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Has anyone looked at the sales figures from the recent Moniker auction? A lot of really good domains sold for dirt cheap. If you follow these auctions, you will clearly see a huge drop in pricing from over a year ago, and my feeling is it will only get worse... Good for resellers/investors, bad for domain owners looking to unload fast.

From a year ago, yes, of course, we're still in a huge price dip. But, if you compare recent auction sales with a few months back, you will see that the prices are up a little.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
post edited

enough with the personal attacks

Last edited by a moderator:

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
< quote removed>

Anybody have a working printer so I can frame and hang this please??

Last edited by a moderator:

staffjam

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've been selling some good CVCV.coms lately for good prices and am always happy to buy more. Sure my LLL's haven't turned out as well as i'd hoped - but still i'm making profits.
So going forwards - i'll be leaving the LLL's alone, but i'm happy to buy good cvcv's that i know I can shift. I still think cash is king for the time being though and things are going to get "much" worse before they get better. Don't let the bear market rally fool you into thinking the worst is behind us as that sadly isn't the case.

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ive noticed a steady increase in sales...rap.org really isn't all that good. It looks good from the outside but what can you really do with it?

Agreed i think thats all its worth,never a $30K domain imho

imo...

Yeah i agree that lll.com's seem to be a status symbol amongst fellow domainers.......

kengreenwood

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
for all those people with crap names, ie; brandable and "sound good" names.. and there is millions of such domain names being held simply for resale, well... two words:

game over

This too is a naive quote - ALL "sound good" names are not garbage.

There a tons of start ups looking for catchy brandable domains. If it's short and pronounceable, and a .com, it's still very sale-able.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it's funny seeing people saying this name is worth this much and that much... lol !

all of this valuations and appraisals are just hilarious, no other word for it !

the domain was up for sale, and it sold for $x... if you believe that it is such a great deal and was worth more than $x, why didn't you buy it?! why didn't you inquire previously?? why didn't you participate in the auction?

oh, right...

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
if you believe that it is such a great deal and was worth more than $x, why didn't you buy it?! why didn't you inquire previously?? why didn't you participate in the auction?

Many of us are not liquid enough to be buying up every great deal, Now considering how well you do with your developed adsense pages, How many great deals have you snatched up?

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

DNabc

Web Investor & Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm receiving more domain inquiries than ever before, and did some good sales. All end user sales, I don't really sell to resellers.

BidNo

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I pulled sale price history from 2005 through 2008 (source: DnSalePrice.com) and can assure anyone who’s panicked that prices are NOT in freefall. Some softness in pricing is evident over the last six months but, as Raider noted, it looks like an excellent time to buy. I looked at com’s and, to minimize fluctuations due to inherent values, selected prices of CVC.com and CCC.com domains. Dictionary domains and any sales over $15,000 were excluded (to eliminate domains like DVD.com, etc.). I’ll see if we can get graphs and data hosted.

Cheers,

BidNo

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I pulled sale price history from 2005 through 2008 (source: DnSalePrice.com) and can assure anyone who’s panicked that prices are NOT in freefall. Some softness in pricing is evident over the last six months but, as Raider noted, it looks like an excellent time to buy. I looked at com’s and, to minimize fluctuations due to inherent values, selected prices of CVC.com and CCC.com domains. Dictionary domains and any sales over $15,000 were excluded (to eliminate domains like DVD.com, etc.). I’ll see if we can get graphs and data hosted.

DomainNameWire.com has published -- take a look. While some might point at current softness, the domain name market is a strong investment relative to others. And I expect a much quicker recovery as B&M's, of necessity, shift online.

Cheers,

Last edited:

skgordon

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think is an average price for a LLL.net (assuming not the best or worst letter combination)?

Thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators