Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Domain words query

iDomainLover

Level 1
Reaction score
Hey, I'm about to register a domain and I'm stuck on this thing - Just for example purpose, I want to add the word "reviews" in my domain. Now I see that reviews.com is already registered via WhoIs but when I search in the browser, I get this screen:
232-png.106176

That means the website is not function or is not hosted, right? Now the domain was registered back in 1993 or something according to whois. So, if I make my domain like bestreviews.com or myreviews.com, is there any chance that I can get IP claim or such in future for using the word "reviews" as it was already registered back in 1993?

Domain summit 2024
Reaction score
It is hosted. CentOS is installed. Just the site has not been set up/uploaded - that is the default page. Also, no, you can't get a domain from 1993 if you use the keyword as part of your domain.

iDomainLover

Level 1
Reaction score
It is hosted. CentOS is installed. Just the site has not been set up/uploaded - that is the default page. Also, no, you can't get a domain from 1993 if you use the keyword as part of your domain.
Yes. But if I use the word that is in a domain already registered years ago, would I get in problems in future?

Reaction score
It depends on the word and whether your use infringes on a trademark already in existence.

eg reviews.com - reviews is not a TM as it's too generic - bestreviews myreviews badreviews... all good.
iphone.com - myiphone, youriphone, newiphone etc... all bad.
apple.com - words using apple for appleproducts - bad eg applephone, applecomputer etc but ok for non-related apple such as appleinorchard, applepie, etc

iDomainLover

Level 1
Reaction score
It depends on the word and whether your use infringes on a trademark already in existence.

eg reviews.com - reviews is not a TM as it's too generic - bestreviews myreviews badreviews... all good.
iphone.com - myiphone, youriphone, newiphone etc... all bad.
apple.com - words using apple for appleproducts - bad eg applephone, applecomputer etc but ok for non-related apple such as appleinorchard, applepie, etc
Ah, thanks for the clarification :)

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators