Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Domaining Flamewar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain summit 2024

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not me. If it was a name I wanted, then a lot of other people would want it too.
More fish in the sea.
Now what, buying a boat, a BOSTON WHALER, install a laptop and write it off? I need to talk to your accountant!

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

SuccessClick

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great Idea!

Obviously millions ARE being made. Just not by the promoters.

Having looked at these sorts of contracts myself I'm floored by the high cost. Maybe its just a supply/demand thing because there's no other way to rationally justify the expense of the items and services rendered. Sometimes high price is just a way to bar the door but it doesnt necessarily come hand-in-hand with what I feel is "Superlative Quality".

At least the gathering we had at The Edgefield last month we got real value. I don't feel like a chump for it. And what a fun place!

You certainly were no "chump" and I appreciated the nice peach brandy you provided as we toasted to all our good health and success. That was a fun time, but I'm sure you didn't have more than a few hours for emails and phone calls by you and Em to set that cool party together. Now me... my ears and fingertips are raw from overuse and we're just getting started. There is a boatload of important issues and planning to address for a conference like the DRT - nobody is going to do it for $12 an hour or the "hope" they break even after investing $100k and being liable for more.

I mispoke about nobody making millions -- of course domain sales and other transactions between sponsors and attendees can add up way beyond that, but that's what everyone wants. I was talking in particular in regards to the promoter of the event being guaranteed "millions" or anywhere close. Plus you said you were coming and I was already looking forward to see Em get on stage and sing some songs!:yes:

I think that's wishful thinking. I don't see people flying in for one day just to get to bid in an auction.

You miss the whole strategy altogether. It's worth coming in Tuesday night, getting a room, waking up and spending all day Wednesday networking, checking out the event, and seeing YOUR domains possibly being auctioned off, or being able to participate in bidding in silent and live auctions without paying a "participation" fee. You'll miss all the other great topic sessions bringing new products and ideas for domainers and website monetization if you don't make it for the whole event, but we believe that if someone is auctioning or buying a domain, let them have at it without an "upfront" cost.

It's a FREE DAY! There's no Scrooge attitudes allowed!:lol:

jimbaggs

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I mispoke about nobody making millions -- of course domain sales and other transactions between sponsors and attendees can add up way beyond that, but that's what everyone wants. I was talking in particular in regards to the promoter of the event being guaranteed "millions" or anywhere close. Plus you said you were coming and I was already looking forward to see Em get on stage and sing some songs!:yes:

Thats right, you missed out on most of the preliminaries, huh? Thanks for coming, it was good to finally meet you in person.

For everyone that doesn't know him he only comes of as the king of cheese marketing when he's online, he's really a helluva guy. Just the chance to meet him ought to be worth the price of a DRT ticket.

Anyway, the millions I was talking about belong to the venues themselves.

No doubt there will already be several hundred paid attendees at DRT so reaching a 1000 on the FREE day shouldn't be a stretch. You *might* be able to ensure that level of attendance if you can sweettalk Em into a song or 2 at DRT. Seattle Hempfest is just a few days after DRT and I do believe she'll be playing there as well.

As for TRAFFIC she'll definitely be breaking out her famous blue guitar at the Klickerz-sponsored cocktail party for a couple of tunes and also later on that evening at a local nitespot for a full set with her new band. Check out emmerocks.com to hear her new CD.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

You are reffering to the rediculous cost of everything at events. One word: UNIONS. They will charge you $500 to take your 10 boxes 100 yards from the loading dock to your booth. Do it on a Saturday and it's $1,500. If you can plan your event at a non-union location, you can save thousands for your vendors.

SuccessClick

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Big shocker here that you'd post in a TRAFFIC oriented thread.

Yeah, I figured it was okay since people were talking about conferences, costs, benefits, etc. in general. Bigger shock that you didn't choose to ignore it! :cool:

See you there, Adam!:)

Not me. If it was a name I wanted, then a lot of other people would want it too.
More fish in the sea.

How about if it was your domains being bid on? The more people there, the better chance you'd sell it?

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How about if it was your domains being bid on? The more people there, the better chance you'd sell it?

What are the details of your auction? Who services, what is the commission, submission guidelines, etc? (yes, this is an opportunity to let you talk about it in this thread...but I really want to know also).

SuccessClick

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thats right, you missed out on most of the preliminaries, huh? Thanks for coming, it was good to finally meet you in person.

For everyone that doesn't know him he only comes of as the king of cheese marketing when he's online, he's really a helluva guy. Just the chance to meet him ought to be worth the price of a DRT ticket.

No doubt there will already be several hundred paid attendees at DRT so reaching a 1000 on the FREE day shouldn't be a stretch. You *might* be able to ensure that level of attendance if you can sweettalk Em into a song or 2 at DRT. Seattle Hempfest is just a few days after DRT and I do believe she'll be playing there as well.

As for TRAFFIC she'll definitely be breaking out her famous blue guitar at the Klickerz-sponsored cocktail party for a couple of tunes and also later on that evening at a local nitespot for a full set with her new band. Check out emmerocks.com to hear her new CD.

Fin, you salty dog! "King of Cheese Marketing" ?? HAHAHAHAHA! That's the best compliment I've received in 25 years of producing. Thanks for the thumbs up too. You're my kind of peeps.

Well, should I contact emm directly to get her a paid gig at the DRT? And that's only if you promise not to play the conga drums in accompaniement!

:yes::yes:

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Fin, you salty dog! "King of Cheese Marketing" ?? HAHAHAHAHA! That's the best compliment I've received in 25 years of producing. Thanks for the thumbs up too. You're my kind of peeps.

Alright already. Don't hijack the thread. We all know you're both DRT guys. Just tell us about the auction and then take a break.

SuccessClick

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Alright already. Don't hijack the thread. We all know you're both DRT guys. Just tell us about the auction and then take a break.

Geez, Duck, go easy dude. :smilewinkgrin:
The auction details are being worked out right now with the various interested parties. We can tell you it will be the biggest auction ever, with expert fulfillment systems, silent auctions running weeks before, extremely simple submission requirements, and we'll have all groups of domains extensions represented and promoted, including .mobi's and IDN's.

That's all I can say at this time. Stay tuned by checking the conference website, sign up for the RSS feed or check Jay's blog. These details will be finalized before the month is up. I'm sure everyone will be pleasantly surprised and excited into goosebumps.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can't successfuly (peacefully) take the Internet Business OFF of the Internet.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't put any names in the auction.
Fortunately I got a lot of names into the NY TRAFFIC auction. I think that is the last best chance to sell names in a live auction format at a premium. So many live auction options means fewer quality names being offered. Which means fewer quality buyers showing up. Other dynamics will dilute the future TRAFFIC auctions. Like competition charging 10% or less or a sliding commission scale rather than 15%.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't put any names in the auction.
Fortunately I got a lot of names into the NY TRAFFIC auction. I think that is the last best chance to sell names in a live auction format at a premium. So many live auction options means fewer quality names being offered. Which means fewer quality buyers showing up. Other dynamics will dilute the future TRAFFIC auctions. Like competition charging 10% or less rather than 15% or a sliding commission scale.

I agree with you that there is plenty of scope to sharpen the pencil on fees. That will almost certainly happen. Of course we don't really know what sellers actually pay for the Super Premium now. Somehow, I doubt it is the Full Monte.

I think there will always be a Pre-eminent Conference for Domaining in any of the major languages. TRAFFICs have set their stall on focusing uniquely on English. I think the key will probably be to address a more global market. I doubt whether TRAFFICs will be the one that matters in five years time.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Of course we don't really know what sellers actually pay for the Super Premium now. Somehow, I doubt it is the Full Monte.

I reworded my sentence. :)

Like competition charging 10% or less or a sliding commission scale rather than 15%.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I reworded my sentence. :)

Like competition charging 10% or less or a sliding commission scale rather than 15%.

Yes, I agree the "I can charge more because I am Domain King" business model has a limited life cycle.

jimbaggs

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, should I contact emm directly to get her a paid gig at the DRT? And that's only if you promise not to play the conga drums in accompaniement!

:yes::yes:

Conga? No, I play the Djimbe. :)

Yeah, you could do that. Her music career is all her own. I'll tell everyone again, that girl has talent running out her pores. I'm shocked that she hasn't already made it big.

Then again she'll prob'ly be busy working the Klickerz booth. :smilewinkgrin:

You are reffering to the rediculous cost of everything at events. One word: UNIONS. They will charge you $500 to take your 10 boxes 100 yards from the loading dock to your booth. Do it on a Saturday and it's $1,500. If you can plan your event at a non-union location, you can save thousands for your vendors.

No doubt unions are responsible for a considerable chunk at many venues. Some of the regulations seem ridiculous. But its not the strong union-negotiated concessions that're responsible for charging $3 for a can of coke or 7.99 for each shrimp on a platter. The 20% "service fee" on top of it all, that's the union's doing.

Obviously there are those willing to pay no matter how high the cost seems to climb. As long as some will pay others will charge as much as they can.

I'm all for guerrilla tactics when it comes to setting up meetings, etc. FinFest was held at McMinnamin's Edgefield which is large enough to host a couple hundred peeps under one roof. Food/drink mins are small and prices are very reasonable, esp for the quality. Its just an all-around great place if your into music and libation.

But the larger the accomodation needed the harder its got to be to find that kind of venue. :(

Alright already. Don't hijack the thread. We all know you're both DRT guys.

Sorry. I guess I forgot this was supposed to be "Bash The Evil Rick Schwartz" thread. Dont know what you mean about me being a DRT guy, though. Klickerz sponsored the last one, yeah. Looks like we're gonna sponsor the next one too. Does that make me a DRT-guy? Allright by me, whatever.

OK, back to bashin, Duck.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dont know what you mean about me being a DRT guy, though. Klickerz sponsored the last one, yeah. Looks like we're gonna sponsor the next one too. Does that make me a DRT-guy? Allright by me, whatever.

To make up for being a smart-ass, here's a plug: Anyone who hasn't been to Seattle in the summertime should definitely try to take this opportunity. The Pacific Northwest in the summer is just undescribable. November to May, no thanks. But June to October, I really don't think there is a nicer part of the country.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
To make up for being a smart-ass, here's a plug: Anyone who hasn't been to Seattle in the summertime should definitely try to take this opportunity. The Pacific Northwest in the summer is just undescribable. November to May, no thanks. But June to October, I really don't think there is a nicer part of the country.

It is nice, my brother in-law lives in Portland, but nearly 3K for a couple is still pricey for a convention, does anyone know what TRAFFIC is charging now for couples? or do we have to email the King to find out?

jimbaggs

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The Pacific Northwest in the summer is just undescribable. November to May, no thanks. But June to October, I really don't think there is a nicer part of the country.

PNW is alright by me anytime of year. Moved up here from the desert lands almost 25 years ago and all the green really blew my mind good. But even summertime is no gaurantee of clearskys. Looking out my window on this this beautiful June day its pouring down rain again. Or "liquid sunshine" as my paps used to say.

About time for me to go for a walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators