Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Domaining is going to it's end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Somebody put it nicely the other day, parking is dead for dead domains.
If domaining is indeed drawing to an end, my accountant has been lying to me and we need to talk :lol:

My focus has always been on domain sales, and I can confirm that there is always demand for quality domains.
The Internet is not shrinking, it's growing and becoming more pervasive in our daily lives. Think about it. Plenty of present and future end users need domain names in order to establish a successful online presence.
Pick the right domains, and the end users will find you.

It's true, there is more competition. You have to outsmart competitors or find the niche that will work for you.

Now if you are looking to ditch your day job and make a living from domains, you need to approach things differently: you will need a clear vision, adequate funding, and long-term commitment. You cannot afford to continue burning parking accounts one by one (along with your reputation) until all options have been exhausted and doors are slammed to your face.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
pardon me. domain parking has declined just slightly above average at an ever increasing rate compared to recent years and the years of the years before that.

now go park something.

:cheesy:

actually, Tia

i take the position that back in the day, the parking services was "overpaying" us

and now, at least to me... it's where it should have been long ago

kinda of like keeping your clock set 30 minutes fast, so you never run out of time

and when you set it to the hour, you're right there with everybody else.

imo...

the_poet

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Domaining is far from ending. While I may agree we will more and more rarely see those astonishing 7 figure sales à la Sex.com, Beer.com, Slots.com, etc. we’ll have a growing number of sales in the 4-5 figure range and 6 figure ones will be there too. This is due not only to the economy, but also to the abundance of alternatives (new gTLDs and repurposed ccTLDs).

macblogger

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, conclusion from this whole article, as I had understood and how I see domaining in 2 years is:

1. There was, is and still will be demand on good quality domain names. Con is that there are hundreds of people entering this industry every single day in illusion of making big bucks selling their domain name but they have no idea what good quality domain name needs to have. However few of them will be lucky to get their reg fee back.
And there will be still people making money in trading and selling domain names while they know quality of it and how big is potential in buying some. Old dogs in industry.
And I agree with the_poet...we won't see that astonishing sales anywhere in the next 2 years.

So yes, it's possible making money with trading good quality domain names, but how much effort, time, energy and nerves you will have to spend for something that don't have to pay back. That's the question.

I personally don't like trading because it's all about buyers and the final price of the domain name can be anything between buyer's offer and seller's asking price. And you can be considered lucky to get some offer.
For me buying traffic domains is 100% secure investment. I know the traffic and I can calculate my profit even before spending one single cent on that.

Not anymore.

2. easy-money-making time is DEFINITELY GONE....no arbitrage, no tasting, no click frauds and google will soon change rules for domain parking companies so bye bye 1-click templates - this means that CTR will lower and revenue will be -50%...also google likes to block a lot of domains with huge traffic....there is possibility of bingads - adsense arbitrage but I have to find a way how to mask traffic.

Last edited:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, conclusion from this whole article, as I had understood and how I see domaining in 2 years is:

1. There was, is and still will be demand on good quality domain names. Con is that there are hundreds of people entering this industry every single day in illusion of making big bucks selling their domain name but they have no idea what good quality domain name needs to have. However few of them will be lucky to get their reg fee back.

true, there is a "con", if you will....in this game

as i too, see it being perpetrated on those entering this industry.

though majority of those who fall for the oke doke, often do it to themselves.

And there will be still people making money in trading and selling domain names while they know quality of it and how big is potential in buying some. Old dogs in industry.
And I agree with the_poet...we won't see that astonishing sales anywhere in the next 2 years.

astonishing sales are only astonishing to those who don't know how the game works

astonishing sales, is part of the "con" if you will, often seen in titles of domain tales.

the same tales that often don't tell the intricate details, but just enough to widen the eyes of gd coupon code users.
So yes, it's possible making money with trading good quality domain names, but how much effort, time, energy and nerves you will have to spend for something that don't have to pay back. That's the question.

you reap what you sow

so, if you put in time and effort, the reward is not only monetary, but also rentention of knowledge from researching.

I personally don't like trading because it's all about buyers and the final price of the domain name can be anything between buyer's offer and seller's asking price. And you can be considered lucky to get some offer.
For me buying traffic domains is 100% secure investment. I know the traffic and I can calculate my profit even before spending one single cent on that.

Not anymore.

buying and selling is part of the fun and excitement of the game, and that too, is part of the "con' if you will.or at least it's where lot of folks get conned.

luck plays a part for sure, as destiny put us all in touch with dn's. so that's the given.

still, as one who invested in traffic domains myself, i never considered them or any other as 100% secure investments. they are damn good investments, but not 100% secure.

as for getting offers, i've received more offers than the number of names sold.

not every name has received an offer, but none of them have to be sold.
2. easy-money-making time is DEFINITELY GONE....no arbitrage, no tasting, no click frauds and google will soon change rules for domain parking companies so bye bye 1-click templates - this means that CTR will lower and revenue will be -50%...also google likes to block a lot of domains with huge traffic....there is possibility of bingads - adsense arbitrage but I have to find a way how to mask traffic.

i did a little tasting while it lasted, but i never participated in arbitrage, click fraud or trying to mask traffic, so maybe that's why i still think ppc is easy money

Last edited:

macblogger

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Domains with traffic is easy money.

Arbitrage and click fraud is extra money.

the_poet

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
astonishing sales are only astonishing to those who don't know how the game works

In order for the game to "work", you need an enduser willing to shell out money and that is changing for 7-8 digit sales in the coming years. It's very unlikely you will see sales like Sex.com for $13 million unless it is a full blown business.

as for getting offers, i've received more offers than the number of names sold.

All of us constantly receive offers, but how many of them are serious buyers and how many are lowballers?

hawkeye

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well..., now the subtext behind this thread post comes clear. The problem seems to be that you put CON in the wrong place above. It seems to you domaining is declining because the/your ability to CON the game got harder!
easy-money-making time is DEFINITELY GONE....no arbitrage, no tasting, no click frauds and google will soon change rules for domain parking companies so bye bye 1-click templates - this means that CTR will lower and revenue will be -50%...also google likes to block a lot of domains with huge traffic....there is possibility of bingads - adsense arbitrage but I have to find a way how to mask traffic.
..It just sucks when companies catch on, and you can't keep scamming the systems unfairly to reap (read: steal) boatloads of profit thru ill gotten means, .....doesn't it!?!?? :rolleyes:

macblogger

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
People...do you think I have been scamming google for years and then came here like: Hello, domaining sucks ??

I have been using legit techniques, everything legal, domains with traffic = ppc revenue. I have a large portfolio of traffic and typo domains receiving pure and clean and legit type-in traffic. Before registration I had checked a lot of names just to eliminate as many TM as possible.

Yes, I have tried several blackhat techniques, but it was all about cents because it's really hard to be better than google and there is no possible way to create revenue bigger than $5 a day with blackhat technique without getting caught.
It was just an experiment and just to make it fair...I think everybody had clicked at least once in their life on ad shown at their domain.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Con is that there are hundreds of people entering this industry every single day in illusion of making big bucks selling their domain name but they have no idea what good quality domain name needs to have. However few of them will be lucky to get their reg fee back.
It's true, there is more and more competition. But the vast majority of newcomers are dreamers and won't last long. Unless they do their homework and approach it seriously (like a business and not a hobby).

It's true that domain sales are unpredictable, while parking can bring in an income stream. But you have been doing it in unsustainable ways.

Also, the navigational habits evolve, browsers now tend to steal traffic at the source etc

That being said, I don't make a living on traffic. If that is what you are after, I think you need to think it over and maybe diversify.

Last edited:

macblogger

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks katherine, and also here are the reasons why type-in revenue is getting lower and lower and people will need to find other way in monetizing their traffic.

1. like katherine said: browsers are stealing type-in traffic
2. search engines are stealing type-in traffic
3. Google is wants to make ads more targeted and that's why one click will be history
4. parking companies have a lot of competition these days and that's why they are changing percentage of revenue and it's impossible to check it because god knows what they do...parking companies are totally non-transparent

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Our guy here, the TS, seems to have struck a nerve outside DNF ....on Twitter, theDomains.com, etc, this guy on theDomains.com wrote an article about this thread....

Domaining may in fact be "going to its end" but many of us here don't agree about how many years, or decades, this may actually take. And can you still think of pulling off arbitrage in this day and age, as far as domaining goes ? I've heard about this on Wall Street by the real pros, and perhaps this was possible for domaining during its heyday, but now...? I'm assuming domaining has seen its best days, at least for a long while, because just how much longer can we wait to see the giddy days of early 2008 come back.......? :blabla:

Last edited:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the domain sky is falling....

again

quick sell your names and cash out before it's too late

macblogger

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, Imagine domaining as gold mine. One single gold mine with limited amount of gold. This is same in domaining, the number of good quality domains is limited. So how do you plan to make money in this industry, where the amount of items you can sell or buy is limited and everyday are thousands of people entering this industry. Some of them will lose, some of them will take it seriously, maybe will register on this forum, and get as much education as they can.

In exactly what do you plan to make money when all good domain names will be sold and there will be only 200 sold domains on Sedo per month, all "C" grade for lowball offers...you can see that this industry is getting less and less profitable, year by year.

As the_poet had said...we won't see that astonishing numbers again and it's true because what other one word domain name can you imagine getting sold for $X.XXX.XXX+ ???
All the good names already have their owners and they won't sell it to domainers. This year we won't see $x.xxx.xxx domain name, and what next years ?? It will be getting lower and lower.

Since amount of good domain names is limited and parking revenue is getting lower and lower, giant domainers are leaving this industry, a lot of competition is getting in day by day, that's why I consider domaining as slowly but surely dying...

only one's with the astonishing numbers are companies on the top of the food chain. But domainers are playing with leftovers and live in the shadow of the past.

Last edited:

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
http://uploadpic.org/storage/2011/NrVci22t514upg4Vh9UQBfcj.png
Here is my screenshot from 10 days ago, for 10 days I am doing on average $400 a day. But still not $750 and it never will be the same number again.

From what I am seeing you tend to purchase old sites, and questionable sites, as the content is no longer there, their traffic stream tends to lessen, as compared to generic keywords, which are always being searched for. You do realize this, and the fact you are making $400 per day just from parking, is close to $150K per year, even if you have a few hundred domains in your portfolio that is a very good return. You need to realize you are chasing the traffic, the traffic is not chasing you, as your domains, represented sites that have gone offline, so you are continually searching to replace that stream, while parking providers are continuing to put filters in to catch only relevant traffic, so in your case, the business of purchasing old sites, to park, and get a really good return on maybe dead.

macblogger

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Yes, and that's the problem. How we can be still buying generic keyword domains when they are "sold out" ?? Even if they would be available, the price would be so high that it just won't be worth the investment because just from parking it will never earn enough to pay for it, it will lock money for a month, maybe more and all what would be left will be just waiting for the buyer to come to you with in 99 cases, lowball offer.
Domaining is getting harder day by day.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
think about this...if your portfolio was making the amounts of money you claim...and it was all good traffic...why would any parking company close that account and send you away... makes no sense. sorry you should consider yourself lucky. if you have good traffic that is making that amount of money you must have some great names.

you were making $275,000/yr parking and now you're crying about making close to $150,000/year and that just your parking rev.

no tears from meeee :yo: sorry

macblogger

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I am okay with 90% parking companies and mine traffic seems good to them.
I have been banned once from Parkingcrew and it was freshly made account for experimenting with bingads arbitrage and iframe, but since that incident, I have never been banned again and I am not stupid enough to pull something like that on my top earning account at domainsponsor.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Imagine how much money would be coming in from proper development and product/service sales on those domains.

I think your answer is obvious. Why waste all that traffic on parking, when web development is so cheap?

I think it would be an exhilarating challenge to better monetize all of that traffic in a way that you are keeping most of the profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators