Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

DomainState closing shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazkel

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just received an email from them stating that they're closing shop and selling the site:

After over 7 years of running Domainstate we have
decided to sell the site. It is with a sad heart
that we have realised that it is no longer something
we can commit the same level of energy as we once did.

Our aim is to have the site sold within the next
couple of weeks and we are considering offers now
so any interested parties please contact us ASAP
at admin@domainstate.com.

We'd like to thank everybody for their contributions
to the site over the years and wish everyone well for the future.
Domainstate Admins

Domain summit 2024

companyone

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

This site will go pretty fast I think... Adam might want it?

After over 7 years of running Domainstate we have decided to sell the site. It is with a sad heart that we have realised that it is no longer something we can commit the same level of energy as we once did.

Our aim is to have the site sold within the next couple of weeks and we are considering offers now so any interested parties please contact us ASAP at admin @ domainstate.com.

We'd recommend that anyone with any particularly sensitive information within their private messages take advantage of the archive/delete facility within the private messages section of the user control panel in anticipation of a change of ownership.

We'd like to thank everybody for their contributions to the site over the years and wish everyone well for the future.

Domainstate Admins

There is a thread to discuss this here:

http://www.domainstate.com/showthread.php3?threadid=103873&s=

___

Best,
Dan

Last edited:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
So the third oldest domain forum is on sale?

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What with the rise of blogs and social networks like Facebook I am sure forum participation must be down most everywhere. It seems like anyone who is even mildly well known has their own blog and are hard at work promoting it.

For example, I have my own blog plus over 400 friends on Facebook now (mostly domainers) which may be a wider circle vs the forum boards. Since they spend so much time on their own blogs or FB there would be less and less time for forums.

This scenario could be similar to the big decline of forum chat which went from very popular 10 yrs ago to an ongoing decline to today's levels where chat is rarely used.
It would not be surprising to see other forums in adition to DomainsState.com close or sold too.

tekz999

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I envision this already few years ago. There is no update, no new functions, same old stuff for these past years. I had complained why even
tags are not in place, but there were a lot of people who refuse to change, and that is the outcome. Activity has been decreasing everyday. This is expected.​

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What with the rise of blogs and social networks like Facebook I am sure forum participation must be down most everywhere. It seems like anyone who is even mildly well known has their own blog and are hard at work promoting it.

For example, I have my own blog plus over 400 friends on Facebook now (mostly domainers) which may be a wider circle vs the forum boards. Since they spend so much time on their own blogs or FB there would be less and less time for forums.

This scenario could be similar to the big decline of forum chat which went from very popular 10 yrs ago to an ongoing decline to today's levels where chat is rarely used.
It would not be surprising to see other forums in adition to DomainsState.com close or sold too.

I totally agree, social media a lot easier to communicate, fast and free.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind, a blog is very similar to a forum board, just a smaller version of it. When a domainer gets his own blog he/she tends to post first in their own blog rather than a forum. So every time a domainer starts their own blog a percentage of posts on the forums are lost, especially if the blog becomes popular.

Just look at all the heavy hitters and famous domainers who once posted on forums and now you rarely if ever see them around since they are busy with ther blogs. Another example is Facebook, when a domainer makes a post there he usually gets quick replies. In addition, many semi-well known and well known domainers now have their own Facebook page under the business name, often with lots of members, again that detracts from forum use. Unfortunately, it likely will be a long bear market but its been a good run.

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well the best option would be to buy it and develop it into a domaining social networking tool and keep it free,i dunno about people using forums less,check out this one and gfy,the stats show they are bouncing back nicely imho.........

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't think they are "closing", but rather selling the forum to a new owner.
Hopefully they will choose a quality group to run it versus just the most cash.

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hopefully they get good price for the great domain forum.

HomerJ

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
no offense to the owners of the site or any members but i always sort of viewed it as a second tier forum. there was never as much activity going on there, at least not in the last couple years. maybe some can revitalize it and give it new blood

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What do you think the site is worth?

-=DCG=-

Sterling

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

-=DCG=-

IMO:

The site has a bad reputation for scams. That with the poor design for so long. Poor moderation.

But the up side is all the users. The potential for revenue.

With a good webmaster and good moderators it could become something.

But, like I said, this is my opinion, I would think it would be worth around 15k.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IMO:

The site has a bad reputation for scams. That with the poor design for so long. Poor moderation.

But the up side is all the users. The potential for revenue.

With a good webmaster and good moderators it could become something.

But, like I said, this is my opinion, I would think it would be worth around 15k.
Now that they have made it public, I doubt DomainState would be worth anything even half decent: most users are already members elsewhere (incl. here, DNForum); and with the intention to abandon ship now known to all, even fewer would return.

As one of their "founding" members, I consider my time there mostly WASTED (even though I did manage to sell a few domain via PM).

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

-=DCG=-

The members in domainstate is also a member here and in namepros. The domainstate and namepros were created because DNF was sold to Fearless at that time. They thought they can create a better community.

Social Media and Networking are changing in a rapid speed where you don't have to host your forums. I personally will not invest.

Though the email marketer might be interested to the data. In that case, you expect to receive some emails from the new owner soon.

Whoever decided to buy, as always good luck.

Cheers,
EM @ KING.NET

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators