Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

DomainState closing shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you know, it's always good having options... it was a nice little place with it's own unique identity

there used to be a few more domain forums back in the day but they died off, with no announcements, sales, etc... just disappeared

ds was always a bit slow and not much activity aside from a few regulars and newbies who got lost, ever since i can remember anyways... ~2004

afloat.com

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It was a great domain forum, one of the few places where you could PM an admin and expect a reply.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It was a great domain forum, one of the few places where you could PM an admin and expect a reply.

hmmm....Not fully correct. One of the Admins ignored my PMs. I don't think he liked me. That was one of the reasons I left DS after more than 1,000 posts over several years.

Last edited:

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
$reg fee

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mmm dcg looks like he could be sniffing around it,worth about $7k but no doubt some mug will pay somewhere towards the $20k region,they will be probably better off putting up for auction on here LOL

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hmmm....Not fully correct. One of the Admins ignored my PMs. I don't think he liked me. That was one of the reasons I left DS after more than 1,000 posts over several years.
LOL! Same here, and you should know very well that *ANYONE* who has been even remotely related to either that sour ownership bid or any subsequent ownership is treated ... differently, to say the least. No, I'm not saying that they are all jerks, but at least one of them is.

Yofie

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thats because they dont allow their site to be shown on google or anywhere else
It may also be why the site has not grown very much and is now for sale. It's not like the site was a private forum, so I guess I really do not see why they would block it from SE's.

Just not something I would do and clearly was there choice.

FormerDnForumer

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's interesting that many of the know-nothings and formerly banned members of DomainState are now excited to carve their knives over its sale. There is more salient information on how to make money in the domain business on that site that just about any other place in domain land. If I was starting out in the domain business in 2010, I would read that forum top-to-bottom.

The moderation has been the best anywhere for a long time. Unlike 99% of boards, the three amigo moderators have all made a lot of money in the business, and have a spectacularly even hand when it comes to keeping things lively but civil. It's true that in the last few years, the place has been a lot slower and certainly needs new energy, but to the people in the business at the higher level, that board is massively important.

Many of the people in this thread and on this board could learn a lot of things from DomainState and its example. As always, if you say something bad about the place, it says more about you than it does them--and it's always been the case. They're the gold standard of how to run a board. Their moderation and class is on another level.

As to what it's worth, it's an open question. What price can you put on a place that is a veritable storehouse of critical information.

puxa2

puxa2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
over

Last edited:

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
By the way, DomainState is so "useful" that I have not bothered to even cut and paste sales threads there since 04-24-2006 10:52 AM.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was never banned from DS but know there are several notable and excellent members of DNF (I won't say who) who were in fact banned from DS over past few years which you may not be aware of. They are now extremely valuable respected members of this forum.
So those who were banned over at DomainState please stand up. LOL!

Just want to make clearer that when I said there is at least one jerk among the moderators, I am NOT referring to DomeBase, who was actually once the fourth moderator, and is a good friend all along (he stopped posting there since 2008).

It's sad that there are, or were quite a few good men over at DomainState exclusively. Goh is one of them, for those who still remember (he stopped posting there since 2007). Let's hope with the ownership change, we could all meet and chat again (I stopped posting there since 2006).

DomainMagnate

Domain Magnate™
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What with the rise of blogs and social networks like Facebook I am sure forum participation must be down most everywhere. It seems like anyone who is even mildly well known has their own blog and are hard at work promoting it.

For example, I have my own blog plus over 400 friends on Facebook now (mostly domainers) which may be a wider circle vs the forum boards. Since they spend so much time on their own blogs or FB there would be less and less time for forums.

This scenario could be similar to the big decline of forum chat which went from very popular 10 yrs ago to an ongoing decline to today's levels where chat is rarely used.
It would not be surprising to see other forums in adition to DomainsState.com close or sold too.

I don't think there are many (any?) domain sales going on in facebook. Although all the domainers are well connected there :D
I think it'll take much longer to get used to this. I still find forums better suited for business. Old habits die hard..

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think there are many (any?) domain sales going on in facebook. Although all the domainers are well connected there :D
I think it'll take much longer to get used to this. I still find forums better suited for business. Old habits die hard..

Agree, I am sure there are relatively few sales at FB. I was referring to establishing a wide network of contacts, not sales. There are also very few domains offered for sale there from what I can tell. Resellers are still best going with the forums and auction firms. Not so sure about end-users.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The demise of DomainState is a byproduct of the authoritarian manner that it was ruled by. Very simply, it'd be as if today Adam Dicker moderated DNForum all by himself. The "Three Amigos" ran DomainState as a projection of their overblown ego. They banned members that actively contributed - myself included - not being able to distinguish between true offenses and defensive arguments. In other words, they wanted to enforce "peace and quiet" without solving issues. For that matter, DomainState has been losing traffic for months and years; the lack of any visual change or improvement and the ostensibly stubborn refusal of any advertising revenue contribute to the decision to sell it. Historically, the 3rd domain related forum after DNForum and DomainGator (NamePros was the 4th) remained without growth due to the policies of its owners/moderators. On the Internet, lack of growth is equal to demise. That being told, what would a forum with its members, thousands of archaic posts and a lack of identity be sold for? Actually, I am quite surprised by the fact that once again, the intended sale of DomainState is announced more like a plea to attract eyeballs on a forum that has diminished in traffic compared to DNForum and NamePros, rather than as an invitation to purchase a healthy business. Unless the owners already have a buyer that has plans to re-launch the dodo of domain forums, I see no street value to DomainState.com as a pure domain.

Last edited:

italiandragon

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Actually, I am quite surprised by the fact that once again, the intended sale of DomainState is announced more like a plea to attract eyeballs on a forum that has diminished in traffic compared to DNForum and NamePros, rather than as an invitation to purchase a healthy business. Unless the owners already have a buyer that has plans to re-launch the dodo of domain forums, I see no street value to DomainState.com as a pure domain.

for now it`s working perfectly: everybody is talking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom