Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Dot-Com Still the Main Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

i'm sorry mole but i disagree on this. ".com" means the internet, just because its not an abbreviation for "the internet" does not mean that it does not have that relationship and meaning.

But you are arguing against a backdrop of proof, evidence and experience that shows that ".com" is the most desired and traded domain name.

Domain summit 2024

c'mon mole the domain simply redirects to google.com, and I still have only seen two "real" .info sites- redirects to .com's don't count.

Meaningful or not .com is very much the standard, and as far as speculation goes, I'd say a greater % of .info/.biz are unused compared to .com. After all were having difficulty finding more than two examples of .info domains that actually have any unique content at all.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys
i'm sorry mole but i disagree on this. ".com" means the internet, just because its not an abbreviation for "the internet" does not mean that it does not have that relationship and meaning.

But you are arguing against a backdrop of proof, evidence and experience that shows that ".com" is the most desired and traded domain name.

I'm sorry safesys, but .com does not mean the internet. WWW means the internet. .net and .web (ala IOD) infers the internet.

dotcom represented the euphoric optimism of the dotcom explosion, nothing more, nothing less. That's gone today, unfortunately.

Yes, I am arguing against an irrefutable backdrop of proof, evidence and experience that show that .com is increasingly bad news.

I used to think the dotcom extension was the best thing in the world. Evidence indicates that this is not necessary so, and in some cases, a liability to have.

But of course, I am insensitive here to those who have 100s of .coms and invested lots of money into the hope of healthy return.

And therefore, I qualify myself. .com is still the most reliable means to earn money from domain reselling. But do keep an eye on .info and .biz.

T

Tee

I admit .com is king. However, I feel that .info will grab some of that shine. I can't prove it. But once the stolen names are released, I give it six months and I bet you will see a whole lot more of .info.

Its just a desirable extension. Not because of assocaiation and branding (which is a very powerful thing), but because it is ridiculously relevant and friendly. A particularly nasty combination I suspect.

We'll see.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by snoopy
c'mon mole the domain simply redirects to google.com, and I still have only seen two "real" .info sites- redirects to .com's don't count.

Meaningful or not .com is very much the standard, and as far as speculation goes, I'd say a greater % of .info/.biz are unused compared to .com. After all were having difficulty finding more than two examples of .info domains that actually have any unique content at all.

Check out domebase.com for more than 2,000 listings of .info domains active.

But I do question your abhorance at redirects. The point is, google can't change its name overnight for an extension that has been around for only a few months. The namecards, the goodwill, the familiarity, the bookmarks on people's machine etc etc

All I am suggesting, which is more meaningful to you as an address? Over time, meaningfulness will always rule. It took only 5 years of popular use for dotcom to get where you perceive it to be today. It may take only 2 before you realise how wrong you were not to hedge against .info and .biz. That's the internet for you snoopy. I guess you may suspect this.

T

Tee

I agree with you Mole. Actually, it might be interesting to measure active .info sites versus active .coms considering existence time and number of registration ratio. I think we might all be shocked at the results. However, its not a fair measurement to either extension really.

I totally agree. You have a list of sites in an se or directory.

Say, backpain.com, .net, .ws, .org, .us and .info

Which seems more clickable, especially if you were a newbie - which the internet is always getting more of?

You would probably click the highest result (lol). Ok but if you had to choose, which makes the most sense?

The answer is obvious. It's I'm on the internet now and I want to find out more about blahblah. info.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agree with Tee that the most relevant and profitable traffic comes from search engines.

I, for one, don't want the hoards of domain speculators or clueless newbies manually typing curiousitykillsthecat.com to see what's at the end of the tunnel. Absolute waste of bandwidth that I have to pay my host for.

Search engines don't give a dang whether it is a .net or .org, or increasingly a .info or .biz. It's all about content.

And when you do actually click the link, it arrives at a site. What will the site be henceforth seen and remembered as, .com or .info etc etc?

People are familiar with .com, are afraid to venture beyond the familiar, including businesses. For now life goes on. Its all in familiarity, so unless you have empirical evidence to suggest that .info will never become familiar, the argument is moot.

T

Tee

I just wish neustar had .info. In their hands i bet .info would probably be very well known by now. Its very unfortunate that so little advertising has been done by the registry. However, I believe info is capable of overcoming this. But if neustar had it.......

Its end user usage thats drives demand for a tld, no registry has the resources at their disposal to compete with the cumulative weight of advertising that .com enjoys.

Mole seems to have concluded that at this moment in time "Dot-Com Still the Main Domain" which was Nics point and as any change is unevidenced any argument against this proven state is also moot.

So as it stands "Dot-Com Still the Main Domain" unless something changes.

Took a lot of posts to reach that blindingly obvious conclusion :)

T

Tee

It is still the main domain, but I think discussing the future is a worthy and relevant discussion especially in a forum about domain names.

I mean Snoopy learned today that there are more than two info sites (lol). In fact there are thousands and some quite nice ones, many without the devastating generics and the kind of money that can get behind that.. .Info is being used by a very important kind of enduser, the average guy who wants to put information about a subject on the net.

Snoopy may never have known that.

Info has all the makings of a brand-killer. Practicality.

It's useful.

Originally posted by Tee

I mean Snoopy learned today that there are more than two info sites (lol).

tee,

this is twisting words, I said that "I have only heard of two myself" in other words I personally know of two sites, of course I was not suggesting that more did not exist, which I had not visited. My point was that I could only name two .info sites off the top of my head, obviously if you dig around you could find hudreds of sites for almost any extension.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hmm... fair enough :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators