Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

dotcom resellers sitting on a dotbomb?

T

Tee

Well, I think it is fair to say that .com speculative value has done the freefall. The reality of what people thought they could get with what they are getting or in most cases, are not getting are two very different things. Even high profile names, like broadband.com, seems to just go down and down in price and still doesn't sell (wasnt it a reasonable 4 million at one time?). Some of this is due to the economy, but a large part of this I believe to be the competition and more choice. Competition will lower prices every time. That doesn't mean that .com doesnt have the most value relatively, just worth much less now than thought to be. I guess this could be called a correction. But I think if people dont believe the new tlds will impact .com value for the worse, then I would I have to say I disagree because when you have more choices available and more options, you have bargaining power and bargaining power lowers prices. You have more supply.

tee, isn't that like increasing gold supply and expecting it to devalue platinum?

i'm not getting people using other tld's as bargaining in my negotiations - but the kind of people I sell to want the vanity and prestige that comes with the .com

many times i will recommend that they go and reg/buy in an alt tld if they don't want to pay the price I am asking - but they don't seem to do that. They either forget it entirely or they find the extra money to purchase what they wanted from me.

T

Tee

Yeah but safesys, you never had this ability before, the new tlds are new and barely out of the starting gate. What did you recommend? .TV? Its no wonder. LOL. .NET? People do use .net. And .org, as heavily advertsied as it is, is not the most business extension. So what have you been recommending? .Co.uk?

Com has never had competition like this before. It has lived a priviliged existence. Once these new tlds, especially .info being just like .com, unrestriceted, get out there and are known, you will see the effect of competition. And i suspect a lot people here are not going to like it.

.Biz and .info are the first new gtld in how long?

This is the first real competition .com has had. Wait to the prized generics of info come out. Talking about plunging .com values!

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tee
Well, I think it is fair to say that .com speculative value has done the freefall. The reality of what people thought they could get with what they are getting or in most cases, are not getting are two very different things. Even high profile names, like broadband.com, seems to just go down and down in price and still doesn't sell (wasnt it a reasonable 4 million at one time?). Some of this is due to the economy, but a large part of this I believe to be the competition and more choice. Competition will lower prices every time. That doesn't mean that .com doesnt have the most value relatively, just worth much less now than thought to be. I guess this could be called a correction. But I think if people dont believe the new tlds will impact .com value for the worse, then I would I have to say I disagree because when you have more choices available and more options, you have bargaining power and bargaining power lowers prices. You have more supply.

Agreed Tee.

People still want, hope, aspire even to live in the past. Let them be, its their problem, and nothing no one can do about it.

Especially not if you have invested thousands in dotcom. It's a sensitive issue, so best thing is to be empathic and kind or get mobbed and your head thrown to the dogs.

.info and .biz are very powerful extensions that finally mean something beyond "Hey, looky here, I'm actually on the WWW!!!"

That's passe. To get and strengthen loyalty, you need a name that understands what consumer motivation are. And how you image those motivations and needs to them through your site name.

There is a huge lot of vested interest in the dotcom extension because many people have bled real money to buy their portfolios. The last thing they want is for someone, anyone, to tell them that dotcom has AIDS.

There is a need to try to understand the future. But there is also a need to empathise with the past. Humans are emotional, and anything that threatens their current self perception will never be welcomed.

Do I need evidence to validify the statistical robustness of the above statement? Guess not. Unless you are an alien from Mars.

ehehhehee... the naughty mole

Didn't tucows recently sell the .info registry system to afilias because of poorer than expected post launch domain sales?

My own view is that speculation in .info and .biz will have throttled the chances of serious end user take up. I susepct the reissuing of prime generics won't alter that much.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Didn't Neulevel/Neustar continue on track to making .biz and .us what domains should, would, will be?

Thank god .info is naturally so intuitive as an extension. Had Afilias taken on .boogawooga, it would have been instant death.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys
My own view is that speculation in .info and .biz will have throttled the chances of serious end user take up. I susepct the reissuing of prime generics won't alter that much.

You miss the trick. Over 90% of all dotcom names end in 404 or parking pages. Dotcom was speculated to death by the hungry hoards since 1999 when Network Solutions lost its monopolistic registrar rights and registering domains became as simple as 123.

I suspect dotcom will never recover its former glamour and euphoric resale value. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

T

Tee

No. They may be blamed but ..... If I remember correctly, tucows walked out of the meeting that discussed sunrise specifics.

Its clear the biggest hindrance to info success has been the sunrise policies, in particular, not validating tms befor issuing a registration.

Then you have those who say, well its the whole world man, how can you prevalidate all the tms? Most databases are not even online. Exactly. So you dont hold a sunrise then.

You hold a sunset (special period for low cost challenges) or first come first serve. Because otherwise, people will try and scam. And scam they did. Afilias is releasing 10-15 k names, most of them obvious ones that would make a great site - the generics. Some say, there are far more names than this that need to be challenged.

In any case, most of the best names are still not out.

And .biz has suffered similarly with the smiley thing.

Part of this problem was that it has nbever been done before, so hopefully they will learn for future releases.

The point hpwever, is that the tlds are still brand new and in infos case, missing the most important names.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Brand new gTLDs, after 17 long years of living with dotcommercial crap without any choice whatsoever. Talk about Maxist conspiracies!

The internet community has spoken, and the dotcom scarcity will no longer make you rich.

T

Tee

Just to further elaborate, the reaon these premo names are so important is because these are the names that will draw attention to the extensions existence be it through resales (always a good thing to get people to say I'll take two!) or high profile sites. Especially in infos case sitewise which I think will work particularly well with generics.

There has also been some negative press about both releases which doesnt exactly inspire confidence. However, we will not know the full impact of the new tlds until at the very least the full deck has been dealt.

Just my opinion.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
More and more businesses today are turning to the web for information, for research.

.info rules!

Time will tell if your speculative comments have any foundation.

Historically speaking, .net was supposedly meaningful for isp's etc and yet aol uses .com, msn uses .com, microsoft uses .com and verisign uses .com.

Also mole, please don't feel sorry for those of us "stuck in the past" with .com - it's really rather profitable ;)

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys
Time will tell if your speculative comments have any foundation.

Historically speaking, .net was supposedly meaningful for isp's etc and yet aol uses .com, msn uses .com, microsoft uses .com and verisign uses .com.

Also mole, please don't feel sorry for those of us "stuck in the past" with .com - it's really rather profitable ;)

Who's sorry :laugh: ? Sure, earning $100 on a domain sold after months and years of waiting is profitable.

Just as there is no evidence to prove that dotcom will remain king, there is no evidence to suggest that .info and .biz will not ursurp dotcom in certain categories.

As you rightly pointed out.

NameBox

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole

You miss the trick. Over 90% of all dotcom names end in 404 or parking pages. Dotcom was speculated to death by the hungry hoards since 1999 when Network Solutions lost its monopolistic registrar rights and registering domains became as simple as 123.

I suspect dotcom will never recover its former glamour and euphoric resale value. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Mole's insulting statements directed at safesys aside, he seems to equate speculator's earler delusional beliefs in the hypervaluations of their dot com portfolios, and their now more "realistic" valuations, as evidence of a market crash.

Why do you think that the market had any credibility when a dot com domain was viewed as a lottery ticket by many registrants. Very, very, few .coms or other tlds can empirically show sufficient inherent traffic generation potential to merit sales to end users at figures above $10K. Any legitimate end user, would have many other considerations (global or regional trademark availability, etc.) which would have to be settled prior to the commitment to any domain. This is why many companies didn't hesitate in paying naming consultants $100K for "create" names / brands / etc., which were free and clear or any trademark issues, and then snatched available domains.

Do you really think any credible company would launch under a .info. Very sad really, you sound like a shill for a .info registrar. Most companies not domiciled in the USA, would MUCH rather use their own countries tlds than some ridiculous .biz or .info. Please mole, get serious. Legal issues in Europe, for example, dictate that a company operating within the EU take on a national tld and represent itself under that extension if it is doing business in that member state.

I can only see .info or .biz appearling to speculators (the same creatures mole decries) who operate under the sad delusion, that having missed the best .com domains, the gold rush is on again ... full steam ahead to .biz and .info! Lead the charge mole!

So refreshing to see someone (er.. that would be mole) constructing an argument without the troublesome hassle of resorting to any facts ... yet feeling free to insult others for their "backward" views ... I guess anyone disagreeing with the rosy future of .info and the implosion of .com is an inbecile according to mole? So sad this thread lasted three pages ... of unsuppored cyclical arguments with no end ... lets leave mole alone with his delusions and insults :cool:

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by NameBox

Mole's insulting statements directed at safesys aside, he seems to equate speculator's earler delusional beliefs in the hypervaluations of their dot com portfolios, and their now more "realistic" valuations, as evidence of a market crash.

hmmm... I think safesys can take care of himself, thank you.

Very sad really, you sound like a shill for a .info registrar. Most companies not domiciled in the USA, would MUCH rather use their own countries tlds than some ridiculous .biz or .info. Please mole, get serious. Legal issues in Europe, for example, dictate that a company operating within the EU take on a national tld and represent itself under that extension if it is doing business in that member state.

Get your facts right. There is nothing stopping any EU company from also adopting a gtld nor is there a lack of interest in the new gTLDs as evidenced by the high amount of registrations coming from Europe. Where is your research to substantiate this claim?

I can only see .info or .biz appearling to speculators (the same creatures mole decries) who operate under the sad delusion, that having missed the best .com domains, the gold rush is on again ... full steam ahead to .biz and .info! Lead the charge mole!

Please don't try to put words into my mouth. I never called speculators "creatures".

So refreshing to see someone (er.. that would be mole) constructing an argument without the troublesome hassle of resorting to any facts ... yet feeling free to insult others for their "backward" views

Have you yourself provided any facts to say that .info and .biz is a sad delusion? Typical pot calling the kettle black motherhood statement. I like a spirited debate and I do try my best to be civil as I type :D , but if you chose to view them only as insulting, then that is your perogative. Insufferably, some do find insinuations about the worth of dotcom highly insulting. :D

... I guess anyone disagreeing with the rosy future of .info and the implosion of .com is an inbecile according to mole? So sad this thread lasted three pages ... of unsuppored cyclical arguments with no end ... lets leave mole alone with his delusions and insults :cool:

:eek: what evil scripting, excuse me, but are you Stephen King's prodigy?

Please ignore my ramblings, go harrass someone else. :dead:

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
[safesys] vs. [tee & mole]
or as i call it.
.com vs. all the rest

100Billion to 1

conclusion:

.com is Number one till any other extension can prove itself in either of these formats:

1. Have a Real Big Company's official site end with any new extension.

2. Actually make a REAL sale in the aftermarket. (with proof and for a real sum, not $10 or $100)

3. Ask a random person (average humanbeing ) in the street if he or she has ever heard , nevermind visited, any of the new extensions.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
[ now ] vs [ future ]

=

[ .com ] vs [ .info .biz ]

=

[ 99.9% ] vs [ 70%:30% ]

=

[ catchall ] vs [ segmented ]

=

[ doubt ] vs [ enlightenment ]

= :D :D :D

"When the tealady tells you to buy .info and .biz, you've missed the boat"

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole

"When the tealady tells you to buy .info and .biz, you've missed the boat"

But, until the tealady tells you, brush up on your swimming techniques.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree Nic. There are a lot of sharks in these infested domain waters. :eek:

I have my fair share of .coms, ,nets and .orgs, not great but sustainable. My believe (not researched) is that current speculation of domain names circa 2002 is not as lucrative and is dying down, but forward speculation holds a lot of promise.

People who sell ther .info and .biz names today are only selling green papayas with low value. It takes patience, and holding power, for forward speculation.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Legal issues in Europe, for example, dictate that a company operating within the EU take on a national tld and represent itself under that extension if it is doing business in that member state"
UH? What?
Not true.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators