Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

dotcom resellers sitting on a dotbomb?

can you offer evidence that the failure of a very small percentage of internet companies has actually led to a desire by corporations to move to another tld. If you can't then you are speculating.

I would also advise you not to use a single reseller sale as a benchmark for the volume and value of sales I effect because if I ever make that information public you will understand why I can be so confident in saying .com is far from dead.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Absolutely, dotcom is alive and healthy in the business cards (email) of many businesses.

What I am only suggesting is that dotcom is a lost dream to domain resellers. Sure, sell it for $100, sell it for $500. Sell it for 45k if you manage to screw an existing business up by cyberjacking.

What I am pointing, is that .info and .biz are the new unchartered part of the web, representing real gTLDs equal to .com.

You ain't seen nothing yet. You want evidence for the future, here's one. Death.

mole, can you give an example of a single .info name which has sold for more than a few hundred dollars?

Sorry, but what you're arguing is out of touch with the realities of the marketplace, its easy to talk about the future, but where is the value now, today?

T

Tee

LOL. Mole you really seem to hate .com! It does seem that in popular culture, .com is looked upon with scorn and disdain as representing the very worse of capitalism out of control. Even among newbies .com seems to be another word for "bankruptcy". Still, I do believe that it is the most valuable extension by far because for good or bad, .com has monster brand behind it and does epitomize the internet. It remains to be seen whether this remains the reality.

I would still love to see "factual evidence" to support the notion that corporations associate ".com" with riffraff.

Why would a company pay $45k for cyberjacking when they could just sue or use the UDRP?

People pay premiums for domains that they want but don't have implicit rights to - to generalise high ticket sales as cyberjacking smacks of very sour grapes.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by snoopy
mole, can you give an example of a single .info name which has sold for more than a few hundred dollars?

Sorry, but what your arguing is out of touch with the realities of the marketplace, its easy to talk about the future, but where is the value now, today?

Most eloquently put, snoopy. I fully agree that I am totally out of touch with the realities of the marketplace. A marketplace littered ten pile high by the graveyard of shattered doman speculation dreams.

Today, the market for domain resellers suck big time.

I'm talking about tomorrow. And tomorrow, will be different. And more different. And more different.

That's how history goes. But of course, who cares about the future. It's immediate needs that must be satisfied. Myopia, unfortunately, afflicts the brightest.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tee
Jobs.com sold for 800k. Thats excellent.

Sure, but have you seen the portfolio of most domain speculators?

I'm sorry, but the truth hurts.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys

Why would a company pay $45k for cyberjacking when they could just sue or use the UDRP?

I am surprised safesys, I thought you may have picked the reason out if you have been following other forums.

So I guess we are not playing fair with a full deck here.

I apologise.

T

Tee

Well, I think the future is very important, especially if you are speculating. Buying Generic .com names, two and three character .com names is not really speculating in this sense cause they are definitely worth something, and like someone said in another thread, its become almost formulaic with worth and price almost being predictable especially with 2 and 3 character names.

I think you do need a firm grasp of the here and now to make the most accurate speculations and i have to agree here that .com is far away the most valuable extension. I'd definitely trade up most of my names for the .com version.

I do love info though. Its the kind of extension that makes me want to put up sites and communicate. Maybe it will amount to nothing. But I just love its versatility and relevance. A true gtld.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, .com is the most familiar today. It is a duh statement, sorry.

Even your 98 year old grandma will tell you so.

My point is, was, were --- dotcom reselling is headed for the dumps.

You can fool some people some of the time, but you can't fool all people, all of the time.

Wake up!, but then again, I should be a selfish bastard and encourage you to wallow in your own vomit. Yikes.

Without knowing what you are talking about re the $45k cyberjacking I can only speculate than your sweeping comment would not be supported by some singular forum posts elsewhere.

T

Tee

Personally, I think what will become the most valuable domain names will be the generics, regardless of extension. Well, almost regardless of extension. CC's dressed up as something they are not will die off in my opinion as far as being used in that capacity. But I believe the game will go in a best names only direction. There will be too many decent extensions or workable extensions to justify spending good money on second rate .coms, which most of the reseller market is comprised of. I see .com names dropping all the time and remaining dropped that are much better than what many resellers are selling.

For now, .com rules. I believe soon, it will be the "name" rules with short and in demand generics (topics) being the best overall bet.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Without knowing what you are talking about re the $45k cyberjacking I can only speculate than your sweeping comment would not be supported by some singular forum posts elsewhere.

Sigh, oh okay. You aren't aware of the reason. So it is naturally you plead ignorance. Sorry, safesys, I thought I was dealing with a pro. I apologise.

Originally posted by mole
You can fool some people some of the time, but you can't fool all people, all of the time.

If you are not a successful .com seller (or entrusted with their sales data) then I can see why you might think that it's all fabricated.

But this is a domain forum and there are several people here who have actual direct experience that they can draw from rather than using conjecture and having to make judgements based only on public domain information.

Originally posted by mole
Sigh, oh okay. You aren't aware of the reason. So it is naturally you plead ignorance. Sorry, safesys, I thought I was dealing with a pro. I apologise.

No need to get offensive or abusive, all you need to do is actually support anything you've said with a shred of credible evidence.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I offered US$3,000 to someone from Australia who got a xxxxnews.biz domain that would complete my news portal.

I was rejected, and I was not willing to pay more.

I was offered a take and close US$2,000 for another .biz name, but I rejected because it was part of my mega-set amd i ddn't want to break the collection.

So, the underground trades are rife, especially when you can't sell an extension like .biz.

Big deal. Just don't assume that people can only trade undercover in the .com universe.

The dotcom real estate is fast losing value, you want evidence, you talk to all those poor speculators who can't sell even one name for peanuts.

And for those who started buying names circa 1994 and earlier, those priced generics are fetching monkeys compared to expectations of stricking it rich.

When you argue based on self-vested interests, (like me ;-) now mole, don't be rude) you may begin to see how biased you actually are.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

No need to get offensive or abusive, all you need to do is actually support anything you've said with a shred of credible evidence.

hmmm... anything you've said with a shred of credible evidence. ... that is being condescending to me.

If you can't stomach a fair and respectful debate, please don't accuse me of being offensive or abusive.

I think that is unfair, and no, I'm not a YES man, moderator.

we are both at polar opposites it seems.

my opinion won't be swayed without some kind of evidence to substantiate that .com is devaluing because from the direct evidence I see .com values have been stable for several months now.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
we are both at polar opposites it seems.

my opinion won't be swayed without some kind of evidence to substantiate that .com is devaluing because from the direct evidence I see .com values have been stable for several months now.

Yes, it may seem.

You are rightfully looking at now. I am, speculative, looking at the future.

You take the conventionalist view. I take the futuristic view.

Domain names reselling mean nothing to me. Domain names reselling mean a source of revenue to you.

Never shall the twains meet.

As I said, let's agree to disagree.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom