Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

dotcom resellers sitting on a dotbomb?

DnPowerful

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Safesys, you're definitely a gentleman, especially in the face of increasing shows of disrespect. I'm amazed that you've indulged mole for so long.

Can I square this off simply, please:

Dot com is no longer a ticket to riches, but it's still the best we've got.

The other extensions are viable when you have a choice between paying the .com speculator $3k or buying the .biz for $100.

There's so little else that can be said. It's such a non-argument propogated by people heavily invested in alternate extensions. :rolleyes:

DnP, its easy to not take it too personally when .com has been, and continues to be, so good to me in terms of traffic and sales revenue.

DnPowerful

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It has become so tiresome to hear people scream "lousy.biz is for sale. The overture numbers are 10000!"

Yea, well, I'd say the trickle down to any extension other than the .net is completely non-existent.

Mole's right about one thing: So many broken dreams now backed not by knowledge but bitterness. Just look around this forum..

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Who's showing disrespect :dead:

It's all in the manner of fun and spirited debate. :D I know safesys enjoys an occasional toss or two.

I do respect safesys virtually as I've seen his sites and sound technical expertise and knowledge of the industry.

At the end of the day when the browser window is clicked close, all of us still do our own things, live on own dreams, and cater to our own specific niches.

Maybe one day, I may be reasonably rich. Maybe one day, you will be too (that is, if you already aren't). It really doesn't matter what opinions you have, this is not a communist state.

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you all click close it will be over an .. Dun with.

:)

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know the feeling :sad:

avs162

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
greetings
my 2 cents

i own the com and org of a very desirable name. left the net alone

the net was registered by major organization.

i begin to recieve email for them confidential and properitery

i alert them to the mail and my domains for sale

good time i thought

they apoligized and said they would consider domain and set up thier mail to stop the traffic

more mail

another call

more mail

there own employees cant seem to find the .net keys

multiple memos and more instruction

more mail

i think they see the advantage of a .com now

this alone should keep coms on top for a while at least til this generation grows up with other tlds.

just my opinion i could be wrong

sean

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good luck on your sale to this .com pany.

Yes, .com still commands a generic hold on domain addressing. It is a catchall address and therefore much more versatile than any other extension.

However, that does not necessarily suggest that .info and .biz names have any lesser value. As site names, .info, in particular, hold a lot of high ground imagery on information.

When ICANN released the 7 new gTLDs in 2000 after over 18 years of .com nothingness, it was their intention to provide the internet with more meaningful addressing of content - .info and .biz being the only real contenders with mass appeal.

The irony of it all is that it is near June 2002 today, and a huge amount of the best names for .info are still unusable. Over 50,000 of the best .biz names were unusable until about two months ago. Even today, many are being locked by STOP procedures.

To compound the problem, many of the best names are also in the hands of sophisticated speculators who grab huge chunks of namespace and deprive or discourage webmasters from using the name unless they are truely interested and buying from the aftermarket. It is difficult at this point to justify an expensive after-market purchase to management, who probably never heard of the extension before.

.info and .biz are less than a year old, with its best names trapped and unusable, while .com is an aging 18 year old extension, full of history, full of baggage. There is no reason not to believe the future will slowly migrate to more meaningful web addressing as a norm. The question, often debated in circles, is when?

And when that time comes, most of us will be like the populous whiners hoping we were smart enough to have bought .com names back in 1994.

History repeats itself. We never learn.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There was one magical and short window last year where the early landrushes were, in one fall swoop, able to build huge and complete sets of industry specific names - without having to wait for drops, without having to deal with owners who would not sell, without having to pay thousands in the aftermarket for just one name.

http://www.neulevel.biz//images/activities/ad_visionary.jpg

That was the magic of the landrush. The very high quality of name sets at very low cost.

Now it is possible for developers to design and build huge networks i.e. 50-100 domains, all name perfect (and I mean name perfect) and synchonising as one theme and beaconing the search engines like never before.

I have read some of the posters' comments. I do not agree with DNP, just talking about that .com is the only TLD worth looking. You are a little short-sighted. Look at the bencmark edition of domains state from www.sotd.INFO
.com regs are decreasing with a 370K per month and .biz.info.us regs increasing with high percentages. Businesses are getting sick and tired of unavailability of even decent .coms. You are talking about loosing mislead traffic just because of .coms. Come on, you are only loosing traffic of some teenageers looking for sex sites because of .coms. A profesional can find you with any TLD if he/she is serious. In brief, my idea is that .com is cooked, accept it. The achievement is not to buy mexico.com for $750K but to see the upcoming potential especially in .us domains. I will continue to buy generic, available .us and .biz domains!!

Interesting logic.

The reason for increases in the new tld's is speculation (hence the poorer than expected figures post opening).

The reason for the decrease in dotcom registrations is the vast quantity of useless speculative registrations that are not being renewed. You'll see exactly the same thing with the new tld's in a few years time when people realise there is more to turning a profit than registering any old domain and expecting to sell it the next day for massive profit.

Several people repeat that businesses are getting sick of .com, but in reality it seems more like the noncom investors are believing their own pr a little too much. .com is simply the most reliable tld to speculate in and thanks to the weight of usage by corporates it will continue that way unless and until there is a technology shift that makes their existing .com's redundent.

Theres a reason people still buy the .coms - if money was no object most people would want the best. Given .com is the best in terms of tld, and given that to many companies these kinds of sums are small percentages of their marketing budgets - they are effectively making that kind of choice.

Last time I read snapnames report (the latest addition - state of the domain) .net and .org registrations were falling at a much faster than .com registration.

Total numbers of .com registered were down about 5% over the last the year, but total registration numbers are up about 400% if you stretch that out over 3 years. Numbers were something like 20 million.

That may have changed a bit over the last month or so since release but its very difficult to say new extensions (.info, .biz) are competing with .com when they appear to have;

- almost no corporate interest beyond redirects to .com addresses
- no or very little sales history
- registration numbers which are less than 5% of .com.

If anything it seems to me that .info/.biz names have been picked up by speculators in a far higher proportion that .com ever was. If you look only at % .biz/.info names have experienced high growth in past months, but only because you are growing from a very low base, so the statistics naturally sound impressive initially. Neustar themselves admit .biz (and .us) take-up has been far slower than anticipated,

http://www.newsbytes.com/news/02/176748.html

here's some interesting comments from the article,

"As the market continues to age, it becomes increasingly clear that the demand for new extensions isn't robust enough to maintain any kind of growth," Kwak said.

"I don't think the pace of the growth in those new domains has been as rapid as some had assumed it would be," SnapNames spokesman Mason Cole said today.

So far all the arguments in favour of .biz/.info replacing .com is based on personal opinion and is not backed up by statistics of any sort.

DnPowerful

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Puts it all into perspective. hahahaha

I think the more acute problem is the entire domain market is spent. It just turns out that dot com is selling better, has higher cred, and is getting strengthened by all the other b.s. extensions.

I'm always entertained when people come into the forums screaming the same P.R. the new extension sellers are pumping without a trace of irony. I mean, you can just hear P.T. Barnum snickering as he sees all the late-comers bum-sniffing the embers of GreatDomains circa 1998.

Keep on buying all those silly sideshow extensions, and I'll keep getting those super duper wire transfers that tell me the real truth--over and over... :laugh:

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by snoopy

So far all the arguments in favour of .biz/.info replacing .com is based on personal opinion and is not backed up by statistics of any sort.

But of course Snoopy, purely injuncture at this point in time, but a reasoned one. The future has no statistics - unless you are God.

.info and .biz are the first generic top level domains after 18 years.

Nobody even begins to know what the implications to dotcom are.

There are no learnings. But should there be, I gather some would prefer not to hedge their bets.

Safe, you are sying that the increase in new TLDs are speculative and .com registeration is still strong. Here are the numbers (monthly registrations) :

Registrations
Table 1: Total Registrations per gTLD (March 2002)

Feb Mar Net
COM 22,187,641 21,907,745 (279,896)
NET 3,846,007 3,770,792 (75,215)
ORG 2,418,123 2,401,094 (17,029)
CNO Total 28,451,771 28,079,631 (372,140)
INFO 740,559 777,776 37,217
BIZ 554,638 619,649 65,011
NAME 62,334 68,630 6,296

Don't you think many .coms are speculative too. what about teenpussy****.com. Who needs this name other than a warez writer or ad banner earner. Do you the think the owner of teenpussy****.com was reg it for corporate America.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DnPowerful

Keep on buying all those silly sideshow extensions, and I'll keep getting those super duper wire transfers that tell me the real truth--over and over... :laugh:

.info and .biz are not sideshow extensions. These are serious initiatives by the internet governing body to diffuse the dotcom artificial scarcity, and to move the internet into a more meaningful era.

.ws
.tv
.fm
.cc
.cd

Now, those are sideshow extensions. They don't even compare.

Of course a large proportion of .com reges are speculative - but there are enough *actually used* to give the tld recognition and real world usage.

I imagine if you analysed unique content sites, that .com was still increasing at a faster rate than .info as the speculative reges being dropped are unlikely to contain a high proportion of "content" sites.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys
Interesting logic.

The reason for increases in the new tld's is speculation (hence the poorer than expected figures post opening).

The reason for the decrease in dotcom registrations is the vast quantity of useless speculative registrations that are not being renewed. You'll see exactly the same thing with the new tld's in a few years time when people realise there is more to turning a profit than registering any old domain and expecting to sell it the next day for massive profit.

Several people repeat that businesses are getting sick of .com, but in reality it seems more like the noncom investors are believing their own pr a little too much. .com is simply the most reliable tld to speculate in and thanks to the weight of usage by corporates it will continue that way unless and until there is a technology shift that makes their existing .com's redundent.

Theres a reason people still buy the .coms - if money was no object most people would want the best. Given .com is the best in terms of tld, and given that to many companies these kinds of sums are small percentages of their marketing budgets - they are effectively making that kind of choice.

I agree, that's the current view and the current situation.

That will change like everything else, and on the internet, change is revolutionary.

Sad.

I disagree that change will occur for something as small as different character strings. If it was a tech shift - then maybe, but not for a mild variation on existing adopted processes.

The telephone number system is still the same as it ever was. (eg dialing "00" for international etc)

The postal system still uses zip/postal codes.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I hear the postal system is losing out to email for some reason :D

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Latest Comments

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com