Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

duv.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidthornton

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They were the guy(s) that picked up the name, in any case. :)

Domain summit 2024

TurNIC.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Grabbed by Compana LLC (one of the big suckers like anything.com, ultsearch, MsJello etc.)

So now whois-search and his dwarves, are you happy? If the info supplied by him is so precious why didn't you grab it?

The reason I oppose him to post obvious names here is not I am after them. It is because even a 2 minute search reveals the fact that those names are dropping.

You dwarves even do not know who are you ****ing with in this grabbing game and bark around as if you could do something.

SAF

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
dnforum.com:
Expiring Domains > duv.com

I mean - this is domain name forum, and DUV.com was posted as expireing.

Why this turned into flame thread I have no idea, but does this mean that no one is supposed to talk about expireing domain from anymore?

I haven't been flamed in a while and feel left out :)

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SirAlexFerguson
Grabbed by Compana LLC (one of the big suckers like anything.com, ultsearch, MsJello etc.)

That means Whois-Search had no effect on the outcome. :)

There was chance, ever so slight, that he could have helped a little guy beat a big guy. :)

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SirAlexFerguson

So SAF I take it that a big sucker is anyone who gets better names than you?

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This just gets me thinking...

A server-side script is bottle-necked by other crapola running on the server and then number of domaisn it is constantly trying to register. Client-side software would have no disadvantages at all. It could use the same APIs as lets say SnapNames, but would have your hole machine's resources available. Multi-thread it and you can have a registration attmept every 5ms or so. No fees, no problems caused by server hickups or hardware failiure. Plus have detailed reporting and you know exactly when, how, how many times, and how fast the software was trying to grab the domain. I looked up the APIs and its not a big deal to port em to a windows app. I could even do that myself... Any thoughts?

davidthornton

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Point8T
This just gets me thinking...

A server-side script is bottle-necked by other crapola running on the server and then number of domaisn it is constantly trying to register. Client-side software would have no disadvantages at all. It could use the same APIs as lets say SnapNames, but would have your hole machine's resources available. Multi-thread it and you can have a registration attmept every 5ms or so. No fees, no problems caused by server hickups or hardware failiure. Plus have detailed reporting and you know exactly when, how, how many times, and how fast the software was trying to grab the domain. I looked up the APIs and its not a big deal to port em to a windows app. I could even do that myself... Any thoughts?

Snapnames has an advantage that most of us, apart from those who own registrars or drop services, cannot realistically compete with. They have exclusive access to a significant number of registars' RRP threads (a.k.a. 'pool 3'). These pools are made use of specifically for drop catching. A front end API is not involved and the 'pool 3' is seperate from the standard pool, and overflow pool (I think it is called), since any API that end users would make use of cannot use pool 3.

So you cannot hope to realistically compete with those using RRP to catch names, via a registrars API interface. You might get lucky but your changes are significantly less than those using RRP.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Client-side software would have no disadvantages at all.

Wrong

you walked past a couple of major technical hurdles to arrive at that conclusion.:rolleyes:

[quoteSo you cannot hope to realistically compete with those using RRP to catch names, via a registrars API interface. You might get lucky but your changes are significantly less than those using RRP.[/quote]

That about sums it up.

oberheimer

Domain investor
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i made an offer on the domain before it expiered, (e-mailed him)
but he did not awnser. To bad

Kid Kool

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by oberheimer
i made an offer on the domain before it expiered, (e-mailed him)
but he did not awnser. To bad

i hate it when people do that. i wonder how many names have been renewed at the last minute because somebody notified the registrant. it does work on occasion though from what i've heard.

TurNIC.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't know. It had a $3000 bid on namewinner. Rookie boosters maybe? Hey after this if someone tries to outbid me on namewinner I come here as whois-search and make that domain public :D

davidthornton

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by revsorg
What was so attractive about duv.com??

It's a three letter (i.e. no numbers) .com so it must be good! ;)

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I knew DUV was expireing a long before Andrew posted it - did not think it was wrth a Snap even back then - and I have 2 snaps wasteing away :(

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Back in 1992 I spotted DUV.com was available and it was only $90 at Network Solutions, but I passed on it :laugh:

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow! Talk about a thread getting blown out of proportion. So what if whois-search posts a few expiring domains? Anyone who is serious in this business should be at least 2 months ahead of the game. By the time a domain is expiring it's generally waaaaay too late to do anything about it.

This forum is here to discuss expiring domains, so too bad if you don't have your shit together early enough.

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Beachie
Wow! Talk about a thread getting blown out of proportion. So what if whois-search posts a few expiring domains? Anyone who is serious in this business should be at least 2 months ahead of the game. By the time a domain is expiring it's generally waaaaay too late to do anything about it.

This forum is here to discuss expiring domains, so too bad if you don't have your shit together early enough.

Not necessarily Beachie. Imagine an excellent generic that expired a couple of months ago but for some reason it managed to slip under the radar of most expiring lists. It's now in the delete cycle and because you've been watching it for over a year, you've got the Snap on it, and top bids of around $150 at NameWinner, NicGenie, DropCatcher and NameFox, with six hours to drop time. Possibly only one other person is aware of the name and because that person is likewise of modest means, the bids are reasonable and will probably max at $500.

Then someone posts the name at DNF and within minutes the wealthy bidders wake up and join the chase, and the bids surge to 5k, then 10k and upwards, leaving you with just the Snap whereas minutes before you had a solid chance of getting the name. The post alerts other pro drop catchers around the globe, reducing further your chances.

Of course no one owns a deleting name and we're all vultures after fair game, but put yourselves in the shoes of this person and it's easy to see how they would be extremely upset with the fact the name was posted in a public forum. It happened to me a while back, but I was fortunate to use a relatively new service to grab the name at a bargain price.

On the other side of the coin I've used the free services of LocalWhois to identify excellent single word generic .coms a day or so before they've dropped, and have grabbed them through the best drop catchers at modest bids, beating out those with Snaps etc who had been watching the names for many months, or maybe a year.

But these days the drop game has gone crazy and time is no longer a factor in getting the best names, it's simply the size of your budget to enable you to get the top bids with the pro catchers. There are exceptions to this of course, ad.net with SnapNames beong one example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom