Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

duv.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidthornton

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by kvinsencius
I wonder who got DUV.COM? Anyone knows?

It might not have dropped yet. Wait until the WHOIS updates tomorrow, unless the successful registrant wishes to make themselves known. ;)

Domain summit 2024

davidthornton

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Whois-Search
David I hand check every domain

?

What... Every single domain name... ever? Every day?

davidthornton

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gariben
Whois-Search: Keep up the good work!

L-O-L. That's the whole point. He's not done any work! Anyone could do it.

If you're going to thank anyone, thank Dwayne at Exody and the others that make the lists.

davidthornton

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Whois-Search
David just shut up

Heh. If I said that you'd roll in as a mod with '*Please read dnforum rules*'.

If you're going to post extracts from Exody and the rest - which is what you're doing - then I would have thought it would be courteous to credit these sources in your postings to the forum. Otherwise people might get the wrong idea and actually think you found them yourself! ;) I know you wouldn't want people to think that! ;)

Also, all those who think Andrew is doing you some sort of favour here:

1. Imagine the scenario: if you'd been tracking a domain you particularly wanted for a while and then someone mouthed off about it on a forum, for everyone else (too lazy enough to find it themselves - and as we know, you don't need to be smart to find good names), to see; wouldn't you be ever so slightly annoyed?

2. As I have said above, it's not rocket science to find these names. As has been demonstrated, anyone spending 2 mins a day checking a few lists can do it. Therefore if you're one of the ones praising Andrew because you weren't aware of duv.com dropping, and he was the first person to make you aware of it, you might like to consider your approach to domaining in general. :)

I'm all for helping people starting out by providing them knowledge. But posting overly obvious stuff in a forum, for all those too lazy to make even the slightest effort, isn't really going to help anyone.

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I knew I was right :) about #1 being the reason.

Mike

davidthornton

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tippy
I knew I was right :) about #1 being the reason.

Mike

Well that would be the case with *any* domain name, not just duv.com.

I actually didn't care for the name myself. I put in a 'fun' bid somewhere - which I didn't expect to get me anywhere, and as expected it didn't - as I do with a number of names that I find on Exody (and don't actually expect to get).

But if you want to get anything from this thread, please remember that it's dead easy to find these names with the minimum of effort. If you want to be a smart domainer, you wouldn't be relying on free hand outs on a forum.

Having said all this, if you didn't know about the name anyway you'd probably have very little chance since most of the drop services would already be covering it.

I'm just going on the principle of it.

Shiftlock

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by davidthornton
I'm all for helping people starting out by providing them knowledge.

Are you sure? Let's say everything about how domains work is changed tomorrow. I'd bet my house you would prefer to keep everyone else in the dark if you were presented with the opportunity to be one of the elite few who knew the "secret" of how domains drop. Think about it.

Shiftlock

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's not like he listed every good domain that was dropping. It was just a casual post to get a topic going. Relax. ;)

davidthornton

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shiftlock
It's not like he listed every good domain that was dropping. It was just a casual post to get a topic going. Relax. ;)

No you're right there. :) As I said, I am going on the principle of it (and as I have explained otherwise). But if you do a search, you'll see it's not the first time. One domain or ten domains; it's still the same really.

Why do it at all? Pointless really. Perhaps better to wait until after it'd dropped.

I'm not convinced about the 'casual post' either. Consult the archives and you might not be either. :)

davidthornton

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Are you sure? Let's say everything about how domains work is changed tomorrow. I'd bet my house you would prefer to keep everyone else in the dark if you were presented with the opportunity to be one of the elite few who knew the "secret" of how domains drop. Think about it.

But that's a hypathetical that's totally irrelevant to this particular thread. :) I could invent many but it'd detract from the main thurst of what's being communicated here.

Basically, if I and others also started posting some of the best names from Exody for free on here, do you think that would be a good thing?

Shiftlock

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by davidthornton
Basically, if I and others also started posting some of the best names from Exody for free on here, do you think that would be a good thing?

To be perfectly honest, I don't think it would make a bit of difference. For the people willing to put the money and effort into actually acquiring the domains, the finding them part is trivial. In other words, the people who discover dropping domains exclusively on this forum most likely don't have the resources to actually "get" the names. If they did, they would know them anyway. Sure, every good name posted would probably get an instant $100 NameWinner bid, but does that really make a difference?

davidthornton

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

To be perfectly honest, I don't think it would make a bit of difference. For the people willing to put the money and effort into actually acquiring the domains, the finding them part is trivial. In other words, the people who discover dropping domains exclusively on this forum most likely don't have the resources to actually "get" the names. If they did, they would know them anyway. Sure, every good name posted would probably get an instant $100 NameWinner bid, but does that really make a difference?

Yes. I think this is largely true. Okay people could be lucky via Namewinner but that's about it. Personally I still think it would be respectful to those who are going for the name, because they have the resources (and did the research), and those who created the lists to post them after they have dropped. Also crediting the list makers directly could be a good thing.

Posting info before the drop might not be so paramount with good three letter .com's but with other names, it might make a difference. :)

Finally it does amuse me that given the amount of time Andrew spends advertising these names, I still never see his name in the WHOIS on any of them. :)

It seems kind of like second best to me. Since he appears to have no chance of getting the 'kudos' which he might receive if he caught the name for himself [via a drop service], the only other possible way of getting the obviously much-craved public acknowledgement is by telling everyone else about the name instead. :)

Stand by for the edits. ;)

Shiftlock

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Remember, his motives might be different than yours. As a moderator of this forum, he probably has an interest in promoting interesting threads for the good of the forum. Maybe grabbing dropping domains isn't what he's into. I'm just speculating here, and he can obviously speak for himself, but I'm just saying that what you find pointless, he might not. Besides, do we really have the right to question the motives of any other forum member? Especially a moderator on his own forum?

davidthornton

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Remember, his motives might be different than yours. As a moderator of this forum, he probably has an interest in promoting interesting threads for the good of the forum. Maybe grabbing dropping domains isn't what he's into. I'm just speculating here, and he can obviously speak for himself, but I'm just saying that what you find pointless, he might not. Besides, do we really have the right to question the motives of any other forum member? Especially a moderator on his own forum?

I think most people who know Andrew have a pretty good idea of his motives. I've seen it all before, right back to when he used to spam the chatroom. :)

I think we do have the right to question those that we perhaps disagree with.

It's not Andrew's forum. I think 'gmartfin' put it perfectly with what he said here about how Andrew 'weasled his way into being a moderator of dnforum.com'.

I'm sorry but I disagree with all this 'promoting ideas for the good of the forum' argument. Many of us, I am sure including Greg (who owns this place now), know that much of what Andrew does is self-promotion.

He didn't like it when Greg wouldn't advertise his WHOIS service via a banner. I think he threatened to resign (which would have been a good thing in my opinion). I think that clearly shows the real motive. :)

I suppose all conversation on a forum is good conversation really. This thread has certainly created debate. I'm certainly not under any illusion about the real motives behind a lot of what I read from you know who, and I don't think that any of the smarter people who actually 'make a difference' in the domain name game are either. :)

Shiftlock

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As you can see from my profile, I've been a member of this forum pretty much since the beginning. I'll admit that for a while I was a very casual user, and I certainly don't know all the politics that have gone on here. You obviously have issues with things he's done or said outside of this thread, and I can't comment on that. But if you scroll up to the top of the thread and read the first post that started all this, and take it just for what it is, I think the whole thing has been blown way out of proportion.

davidthornton

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As you can see from my profile, I've been a member of this forum pretty much since the beginning. I'll admit that for a while I was a very casual user, and I certainly don't know all the politics that have gone on here. You obviously have issues with things he's done or said outside of this thread, and I can't comment on that. But if you scroll up to the top of the thread and read the first post that started all this, and take it just for what it is, I think the whole thing has been blown way out of proportion.

I'll admit that to the 'casual' forum user it probably does look like it's all been blown way out of proportion. :) I see you're member number 80. I am member number 87, so we only joined a day or two apart.

I do have issues, as do many others (mainly the 'smart' ones) with how he goes about things. Time and time again, he throws stones and doesn't like it when people react.

It's all been well documented before - you'll have to do a search for it if you can be bothered. :) The link to the other thread I gave above is just the start.

I appreciate your sentements, in trying to just take the first post 'as is'. If you do that, it does look like what I said at the start (i.e. something blown out of nothing). Unfortunately if you've do as you have suggested, you'll miss the true picture. :)

We've established that there was no value to his original message, which started this thread. As you and I have both pointed out, those who were likely to be 'players' at getting the name in question would have already known about it. The 'yes men' that back-slapped Andrew for pointing the name out to them, after he posted it, simply served to identify themselves as 'unaware' of information that it is very easy to be 'aware' of.

Since they obviously didn't know about the name by then, realistically they never had a chance (except if they'd scored at NW) at getting it. That's because all the drop services would have been booked - or anyone who is 'in' with the major drop services would have known about it too. So why they were thanking Andrew for throwing them this 'tit-bit', still baffles me.

So why make such a posting at all, if it was pretty pointless to do so by then? The 'good of the forum' argument doesn't wash with me. Look at his track record to see why.

So, what else? Attention and self promotion? That's what this guy's all about (as has been pointed out in numerous other threads). That's probably near to the truth of why he posted this name; certainly more so than what you might have originally thought. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom