Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

For Sale EDeals.com Brings $61,005. At Pool!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Spider

I personally think you missed the boat here. This is a very brandable domain. I doubt the person who won this has no intention to offer it to edeal.com or anyone else. This would be an easy endevor and site to startup.

I guess I dont get it.. because the name is already TM and branded by someone else....

since 1997

.. I see a lot of hype.. but the reality is branding means spending tons of cash...and you can do that with damn near ANY domain.

edeals is nice but 60K ..come on..

reminds me of some marketing firm fast talk..

the "e" sounds retarded ..it would be like saying your stereo has streophonic sound .. a term from the 60's.. everyone today turns up their noses..

"e" was late 1980's and early 1990's .. today people think you are either an old fart or just lame for using "e" before a domain.

I have yet to see one person give a good reason why this is a good buy..not one.

nothing about traffic , nothing about a deal made with edeal.com nothing substantial.. all we hear is it is brandable..

big deal.. errrr Big edeals ;)

Whatever ..JMO is just run of the mill ..tens of thosands more where that one came from

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Most likely they will issue a policy on this for us to know since some issues have been raised about their honesty in this matter especially with regards to concerns about shill bidding and those who might be bidding without the funds to back the purchase. Unlinke namewinner the name will default back to the second highest bidder. However it's unclear to whether or not the highest they were willing to pay was actually what the domain would have actually sold for if none of the other factors were not in place. Meaning....Pool knows you knows you are willing to pay so how do we know that bid prior to that weren't falsified also?

domainswithtrafik

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
BID,

I disagree. "Edeals" is in fact a generic term. If not the case, then why is there widespread use of the term on websites and even as many websites names eg. dailyedeals.com, edealsetc.com, 24houredeals.com ???

Also why do you think edeals.com gets more overture results than edeal.com ??? very likely because "edeals" is in fact a generic term that internet users are becoming more and more familiar with.

IMHO, for the new owner of edeals.com there would be no TM issues at all. From the looks of edeal.com it is strictly a B2B site catering to other major ecommerce websites..whereas, edeals.com would most likely be a B2C site..who knows, we will see.

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From uspto.gov.....common law trademarks do exist and edeal is kind of generic in my opinion and this discussion might be better settled by those in the legal forum....

Word Mark EDEAL

Goods and Services

(ABANDONED) IC 042. US 100 101. G & S: Providing information in the field of on-line appraisal and auction services, advertising services, and product reviews and recommendations, by means of linking various web pages of others

(ABANDONED) IC 035. US 100 101 102. G & S: Advertising services, namely, promoting the goods and services of others via the Internet and by providing customer incentive award programs; Consumer services, namely product reviews and recommendations; On-line auction services provided via the Internet

(ABANDONED) IC 036. US 100 101 102. G & S: On-line appraisal services, namely, appraising the goods and services of others via the Internet; Operating marketplaces for sellers of goods and/or services

Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number 75803711
Filing Date September 17, 1999
Current Filing Basis 1B;44D
Original Filing Basis 1B;44D
Owner (APPLICANT) eDeal Services Corp. CORPORATION UNITED KINGDOM 860 Richmond Street, West Toronto, Ontario CANADA M6J 1C9
Attorney of Record Jeffrey H. Kaufman
Priority Date September 1, 1999
Type of Mark SERVICE MARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator DEAD
Abandonment Date October 26, 2001

HeavyLifting

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i still can't believe so many people here think edeals.com is worth $60k. but that's what makes all this stuff interesting i guess.

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
heres what i think

the Domain isn't worth 60k, clearly

BUT to a company, a short, quick, easy to remember name for a company who is going to put up a huge site the price isn't a big deal.

this can be the same for any similar name..

i think that this is what URLCollection and other were getting at..

:-D

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think its very ODD that people come out of the woodworks on these names ( like culinary.com ) saying "this name isn't worth X. Someone is crazy... yadda yadda". Of course it's worth that much! If the sale completes... bingo... that's EXACTLY what the name is worth, AT THE TIME.

In my opinion, something is WORTH exactly what you GET for it, and not a penny less (if there are many of the same product, you can do averaging). The funny thing about domain names... there is only ONE domain name available for any given TLD. This basically means it is a unique product.

Sometimes it seems to me people should say "X isn't worth that TO ME" instead of the blanket statements. AUCTIONS.COM went for over 1 million dollars from what I heard (back in the day). One of the bidders bailed on the name after it got too astronomical. I'm sure most people would say that wasn't worth it either... TO THEM.

I'm sure anyone who's ever sold something expensive appreciates that prices aren't set on a curve, but at what the market will bare. Nothing better than an auction to determine what the real-world puts that at.

My two cents,
~ Nexus

M

mole

Originally posted by Nexus
Nothing better than an auction to determine what the real-world puts that at.

Auctions are used to get people to buy something at a price they wouldn't dream of buying at a store :-D

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole
Auctions are used to get people to buy something at a price they wouldn't dream of buying at a store :-D
True! And...? :-D

Seriously, though. When you're paying that much, I have every confidence these people know exactly what they're doing. --Or else that regularly surf the Internet with their credit card in one hand, and a good bottle of Irish whiskey in the other... :)

~ Nexus

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think its called "Free Market Economy". ~ Nexus

I think in this case it's called a typo.

StrictlyNames

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ebay.com
elance.com
etoys.com
edeals.com

fits right in....

I personally think it's a great name. Now if I owned it I would definitely sell it for 60,000 in a heart beat.

on the other hand.....

If I had the need for this name, the money, the resources, and a specific goal in mind, I too would purchase this name for 60,000. A lot of "IF's"... but I can understand the purchase.

Hope my logic makes some sense here.

Just my 2 cents.

Dave

HeavyLifting

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
if i had edeals.com in my signature, i'd be lucky to sell it for $1000 here at DNF. that's what i think. and that's why the auction was crazy.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Android you would sell it for $50 tops! :)

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Android
if i had edeals.com in my signature, i'd be lucky to sell it for $1000 here at DNF. that's what i think. and that's why the auction was crazy.
You bet Charlie - but if they really wanted it for branding out a new site I guess the price was not that big of a deal. We sold a jet name to a company in Germany last month that I never thought was that great of a domain name and the owner of our company sold it for $50K Net. It is now painted on the side of 20+ jets and just started a $3.5 Million Dollar marketing campaign in Germany - You just never know Charlie? Just glad to see a big deal like EDEALS.com come to our marketplace. The tide just may be turning....

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ed30
I think in this case it's called a typo.
And the jokes keep coming! :) If everyone in this thread regularly got a cut of bids paid from auctions like this, no one would be saying squat about how "inappropriate" this bid comes across. It seems more like "sour grapes" thread than one about appreciating market trends. I was mewling over a 5 figure sale I got through Great Domains on a mediocre name someone wanted for branding purposes. The GD agent seemed bent out of shape that I was "considering" it. Murmured something about the declining sale figures for names, etc. If I told you all the name, you'd go "wha--???". But I won't.

Anyway, I guess criticizing this sale will continue to make sense for some most. I don't think so, but that's just my opinion. I agree with Mole that more domainers should focus on development, and stop thinking of their domains as either "quick-buck" or "PPC". I offered $2,000 to someone for a .NET name once, that shouldn't have gone for even that much. They refused, saying they were holding out for over $6,000 because all the TLDs were take. --Nice. They'd all been taken by ME! If somewhere along the line he'd gotten $6,000... I'd have to tip my hat to him though.

~ Nexus

M

mole

I offered $2,000 to someone for a .NET name once, that shouldn't have gone for even that much. They refused, saying they were holding out for over $6,000 because all the TLDs were take. --Nice. They'd all been taken by ME!

Oh really, are you a vertical buyer then, nex? Why? :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom