Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

enom Enom not providing correct whois

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Enom.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lotk.com

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had this issue before? I am trying to transfer domains out of enom and the whois is correct in my account (and has always been correct) but wrong when looking at the whois at all other registrars.

You can see for yourself. Just do a whois on step.us @ enom and then at any other registrar. I've checked domaintools, moniker, godaddy, ... and they are all wrong. WTF Enom! Is this a way to stop from transferring out?

Domain summit 2024

Vincent

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i had the same problem- wrong whois on a .us. I called the company twice, both of which they say they'll fix it. It still not correct. thanks for reminding me, I'll have to call again.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It will at the end depend on what WHOIS the registrar you're taking your names to uses, most use Domain Tools --but a couple actually use WHO.IS (?!), run by Name.com actually-- the Admin email address appearing on the WHOIS your new registrar uses is where the auth email will go to, I'd be really surprised if your new registrar uses the Enom WHOIS, Enom has a horrible WHOIS updating system, a while ago I bought a name on Sedo and thought the worst thing would be that Enom would still be showing my seller's info, well, they were still showing my seller's seller's info (two owners ago), I could not move the domain out, Sedo got an email from the guy who had sold to my seller asking them about this, Sedo contacted Enom and they cleared it. Another time I bought an Enom name directly from the owner and same thing, only this time he knew about it and when he got the email I should've gotten he clicked on it releasing the domain for me

If the info shown on all WHOIS pages that aren't Enom is for the guy you bought the names from he might agree to click on the auth email or he'll fwd it to you, this is the easiest way

For a long time now Go Daddy has been blocking any WHOIS info if you check most WHOIS services that aren't their own (except Domain Tools apparently) and since almost 1/3 of all domains are w/GD now we should probably check the GD WHOIS as the default one, in fairness to them it has always been remarkably accurate, it updates the second a registrant change is made even for non-GD names. NetSol has a really good WHOIS too (but it doesn't show any info for GD names and it doesn't support many popular ccTLDs), and this one has a lot of details even GD and DT do not show (just about the only thing I like about NetSol....)

Has anyone had this issue before? I am trying to transfer domains out of enom and the whois is correct in my account (and has always been correct) but wrong when looking at the whois at all other registrars.

You can see for yourself. Just do a whois on step.us @ enom and then at any other registrar. I've checked domaintools, moniker, godaddy, ... and they are all wrong. WTF Enom! Is this a way to stop from transferring out?

Last edited:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Enom indicates somebody in IL (should be you)

But the registry says otherwise:
http://whois.us/
somebody in PA

But the domain is still at Enom. While it may show up in your account it seems you don't truly own it...
Is this a domain you bought from somebody ? I guess there was a transfer/change of ownership at some point and Enom failed to update the whois in their own records.

lotk.com

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Katherine - yes, I bought the domain from someone but all contact information is set to my info. Enom just isn't updating the registry so there is no way to transfer the domain to godaddy.

dominator

Corporate Design, Naming & Branding
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
for some .biz domains it was necessary to ask support to update whois manually, because it did not work automatically
and it was a known issue to them from other cases

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Isn't it an old bug ? They don't seem to be motivated to fix those long-standing issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators