Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

eNom sets lowest price to $8.95

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just got an announcement from eNom that:

A control has been added to sub-account pricing. No accounts can be established with less than $8.95 per year for .com net org info biz and us.

abrams1117

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Can you post it?

W/ all the sites offering lower prices eNom is shooting itself in the foot.
Maybe they bought AfterNic's playbook since they don't need it anymore.

O

owndomains.com

I can do nothing, but increase price on my side.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
>abrams1117: Can you post it?

I have. That was already the EXACT quote.

alldig

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Any previous sub-accounts that were create have their prices locked. I believe if you try to change a price in any subaccount it will be automatically reset to $8.95...so don't mess with the pricing of existing accounts.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How about NameCheap.com (they are offering $8.88)? Or is this the reason NameStrong.com went out of business just a week ago?

Whois-Search

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]
Sent: Friday, October 11, 2002 12:47 AM
Subject: objection

Hi Brandon and Matt,

I would like to register my objection to your new Enow decision to make sub-accounts $8.95

I thought Enom wasn't like Networksolutions and didn't cash in on domain names.

Obviously you want people to buy your reseller packages - but these are too expensive

Even at www.onlinenic.com you can get $6.69 for 100 credits.

I have $7.10 sub-account with enom ( which is now locked ? ) and need this to provide $8.65 reg rocket on my site.

With $8.95 this price would have to be set much higher - I would lose customers.

My theory is your now going to lose customers than make a buck a domain !

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=50782

People in the domain community want cheap domains and they know the Verisign-Grs Fees !

Please Enom think of the customers and not your profit margin !

Andrew

www.whois-search.com

R

rapidtransit

A business' first responsibilities are to its customers who contract with it. eNom has several levels of pricing and requires both a high cash investment (as others have noted) and a signed legal contract to be an ETP.

They risk both their committed customers' business and their own reputations when they set up a situation where resellers of resellers can undercut those who have made a business arrangement with them and are attempting to run a service-oriented business. We had people selling zero-profit reseller accounts on eBay for walking-around money. What kind of support do you think you'll get from a company that's making 15 cents per domain on a registration?

Moreover, has anyone considered what will happen to your reseller reseller accounts if your zero investment reseller who you bought the account from disappears? Or suddenly raises your price, which can be done in about a minute or so? Because you have no idea who you really bought the account from?

eNom never should have allowed these razor-thin margin accounts to be created in the first place. The correction is long overdue. It may be one of a number of shakeouts that will hit the hosting/domain business. (Can anyone say new Visa rules?)

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
>rapidtransit: eNom never should have allowed these razor-thin margin accounts to be created in the first place. The correction is long overdue.

Couldn't agree more. I would say it's a clever move for eNom in order to stay healthy and competitive in the industry for the long run.

R

rapidtransit

Originally posted by Whois-Search
Price Check :

Enom $6950 for $6.95

Dotregistrar $6490 for $6.49

OnlineNic $669 for $6.69
Then obviously you should be dealing with one of the latter two companies, if you think they're a better deal.

I put up the big bucks with eNom because I've grown with them, so I feel I know what they're about, and because their system, their services and their API documentation are top notch.

IMO, of course.

O

owndomains.com

ENOM provides full set of DNS service.

In comparison with the latter two, I must say ENOM is the best choice.

If you disagree, you can go with others, then you will mean what I have said.

But my problem is: ENOM's URL redirection is blocked in China, it is my headache.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I consider myself very lucky to have gotten set up with a $7.10 Enom sub-account before the rule change. That turned out to be an very narrow window of opportunity. I use the account primarily to buy domains for myself but also have a PDQ site. Thanks to your warning I will not change any of the pricing there as it could cost me the "grandfathered in" status I currently have.

TrafficMonsterRRR

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As a result of this policy change, there should be a visible consolidation/reorganization of domain name outlets operating close to margin. It may take a while for the new price base to become evident.

If ENOM takes the drastic step to enforce the new control to already "locked" resellers, ENOM should be prepared to loose market share. I, for one, will make the required original investment elsewhere and get pricing close to $6.50 under contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom