Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

.EU domain registration: Post your favorite registrar and why

Status
Not open for further replies.

TECK

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, we need to prepare ourselfs for the release of pending application names.
After the bad experiences we had, it's time to help eachothers and post here all the bad/good registrars we had experience with, related to .eu registration.

Let me start first:
Good: internet.bs (2 domains registred within 2 minutes, out of 3)
Bad: godaddy.com (130 domains lost, none registered)

Do you imagine how many times I kicked myself in the head?
I still do it now...

russ

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Goodthe

Last edited:

xtremest

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
internet.bs and cdmon.com - bad.
each registrar - 1 out of 7.
Each 1 domain - domain that i'm sure noone also applied for.

TECK

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What about the good ones?
The idea is to compile a list of good registrars, so we all do business with them.

Varchar

ArcadeScript.Com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Internet.bs (200 names, got 5)
Pool (200 names, got 2, but most likely end up in auction)
Dotster (0)
Moniker (1)

Can it be that the registrars in Europe has better chance of getting a domain? Any idea where internet.bs is located?

LeeRyder

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
huh, Internet.bs are the only one's that worked for me. Albeit, they only got me one, but thats still 100% :p

hookah

Semi-Netizen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Landrush is a big random process.
dd24.net got 5 out of 56 for me
register.it got 1 out of 102
(this is a different story as I've mistyped the name I've wanted to register and this mistyped name has been only one registered for me:) Furthermore this is a TM name of giant internent company - what an irony.

Some people applied during the sunrise period (even april 6) for excellent names only to block them from landrush registration. Probably they are not owners of TMs, etc. and their applications will expire or will be rejected. The battle will start again after Eurid releases them for 'first come first served' registrations.

steveatvillas

Domain Network Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello all:

I had great success with totalregistrations. Mind you I was in the Trademark Sunrise. But apparently they got quite a few for their clients in the first position (there were seven behind me). As you can imagine, the highest ranked for the Sunrise phase was SEX.EU with high 200's. I even tracked down a few of the trademarks, and dang if someone in Sweden doesn't have a mark for the word "sex". Then so did a few in Holland...duh...

I would agree with HOOKAH, that many applied during Sunrise without legitimate claims to trademarks ™ or service marks "sm" or long term industrial art. BUT, EURID definately has there chops down on this one. I had to submit a copy of my Trademark along with my application. They appointed Pricewaterhouse Coopers-Belgium to sift through every application (I think there were several hundred thousand) to substantiate every claim.

If the first in line did not show a trademark for the exact word string as was being applied for, the claim was rejected. Black and white, no interpretation of grey area. The only allowance given was for punctuation or non-allowable characters (!@£$%&, etc.). Hyphens were knocked out as well, IF your trademark had a hyphen.

So as and when PwC finishes (they are very backlogged, still) with the Sunrise applications, those names with no ligitimate marks to back them up will be tossed back into the public domain. It really pays to keep watching out for your name of choice. You still might snag it!

But bear in mind, the .EU TLD is only for applicants who can prove they have a place of business within the 25 member states (current and proposed) of the European community. If your business is outside the EU, but you do have, say, an office, inside then you're OK.

for more info, start here: http://www.eurid.eu/en/general/

And if you have a dispute, the ADR takes place in the Chech Republic, not WIPO. That's a drag, unless you happen to speak Chech. Although, Prague is beautiful this time of year!!!

Good luck!

All the best,

Steve

steveatvillas

Domain Network Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
charlie12 said:
Hi, in this case are there any registrars who I could register a domain with now, and then they will keep trying to get the domain registered (e.g every x seconds/minutes/hours/days) , so that if any domains get tossed back into the public domain, I'd have more of a chance to grab it?

Hey Charlie:

Yepper, that's the way I understand it.

Ask this question at totalregistrations. They're really good at what they do! A sleeper registrar for the USA-based domainers, but relatively big here. At least they did a bang-up job for me, and I believe they hit an 85% success rate for first in line for their clients during the Sunrise (me one of them.)

http://www.totalregistrations.com/home.html

Make sure you get yourself a European address!! I guess most of the registrars are finessing this somehow through proxies.

All the best,

Steve

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Internet.bs - 0 out of 80 for me
Domainname.de--0 out of 36
i thought they would perform much better. But all Crap.
Eurodns--13 out of 77
register.it ---5 out of 60
Pool--1 out of 60
GOdaddy 0 out of 6

steveatvillas

Domain Network Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've heard good things about EuroDNS, too. I was subscribed to them for the Sunrise, but back then they had some kinks in their service.

Very good response time as well on Q & A.

Looks like you hit well with them, Simon.

Here's how fast the registrars I used were in submission on Sunrise. This may or may not be an indicator of how fast their servers are for the domains being thrown back into play:

Sunrise opened at 11:00 am on the day....

Totalregistrations (1st): 11:08:54.078

NetNames (4th): 11:24:46.914

EuroDNS (5th): 12:29:33.396

Steve

ponce007

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
EuroDNS: around 600 out of 2500.
Pool: around 77 out of 2000 (I think)
and a few here and there from some others.

movil

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
EuroDNS: Quite good, but impossible to use the opening day
Netsol: Good as always, but expensive :(

hookah

Semi-Netizen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
internet.bs - just visited them: good price. Anyway I wonder why they need email address just for checking availability of .eu domain?!

steveatvillas

Domain Network Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hookah said:
internet.bs - just visited them: good price. Anyway I wonder why they need email address just for checking availability of .eu domain?!

Hookah et al:

If you just want to check if a .EU domain is available, go here:

http://www2.whois.eu/whois/GetDomainStatus.htm

type in your domain name in question, you'll go to a new page with a quick result, if any. If you want more information on who has applied for the name, then fill in the box with the code at left and you will redirect to all of EURID's info on that name.

Good hunting!

Steve

hookah

Semi-Netizen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
steveatvillas said:
Hookah et al:

If you just want to check if a .EU domain is available, go here:

http://www2.whois.eu/whois/GetDomainStatus.htm

type in your domain name in question, you'll go to a new page with a quick result, if any. If you want more information on who has applied for the name, then fill in the box with the code at left and you will redirect to all of EURID's info on that name.

Good hunting!

Steve

Steve,
thanks but you've exaggerated a little :bounce: EURid whois database is well-know and I use it from the very beginning (I guess almost everyone wanting to reg .eus knows it). I've just wondered about internet.bs email demand for just availability check.
GL and good hunting to you, too, hookah

By the way: if EURid whois server you've mentioned www2... fails to respond, go to www1... . They are like being 'counterbalanced'.

steveatvillas

Domain Network Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ah, yes, of course. I misread your post.

If they are asking for an email address before giving info, could it be they're building an email database???

I had to set up an email address just for enquirey stuff on various sites, 'cuz I was getting bombarded by spam.

Yeah, I saw the www2 as well. I've got the link saved in my browser, and it just flipped to www2. I'm sure EURID is swamped just now, ¿no?

Steve

hookah

Semi-Netizen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
steveatvillas said:
If they are asking for an email address before giving info, could it be they're building an email database???

Steve

I think so. Anyway I dont need their availability check :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators