Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

.eu

Status
Not open for further replies.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
just to add an interesting link that I just saw today (fresh news).

<http://edition.cnn.com/2003/BUSINESS/11/14/europe.xmasshop.reut/index.html>

If you read the above article, you might see my point of view, that the EU is (well after May 2004) the largest single economic block. So many companies will want to reach out to this single community, which, IMHO will make this gTLD pretty successfull.

Domain Summit 2024

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if i somehow miss the time when I can start putting in pre-reg requests, can someone PLEASE PM me to tell me? thanks

cerebus

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Calling the EU 'nothing more than an economic union' is highly wrong, as anyone with any political insight would understand.

I would also like to add that the coverage of the EU in the daily news is quite high IMO. Maybe the difference is by country, or by choice of media.

As for the .eu, I don't believe it will be a very popular TLD. Mostly because the non-experienced European internet users almost only see .com .net .cTLD (their national one) and thus it would take a long time to get a new TLD widely accepted.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by zeal2
It is nothing more than an economic uninion.

Listen to beatz carefully. He is really trying to help you.

then I am afraid your studies in political science isnt helping you much :)

If it was just an Economic Union, then many countries that are begging to get in would be able to do so, where it not for political criteria and to meet the standars of the Union itself.........

Now, back to the original thread, which was the value of .eu, I guess only time will tell, and all of us have the right to our opinion. At least in some Unions :)

M

mole

Originally posted by cerebus
As for the .eu, I don't believe it will be a very popular TLD. Mostly because the non-experienced European internet users almost only see .com .net .cTLD (their national one) and thus it would take a long time to get a new TLD widely accepted.

Agreed. I guess it may have applications for sites that need that zoning emphasis because of political or corporate agendas, but its going to take hard work to make .eu mainstream to the general public. Having said that, I don't think Eurid (a non-profit) wants the speculators to grab 98% of its namespace and push this ztld into more issues it already needs to tackle.

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
zeal: you really are becoming unpopular here on the forums, so a friendly tip is to chill a bit.

Anyways, this thread is NOT about your major in whatever, so stop discussing the iraqi war here ok? This thread is about the .eu namespace, so start your own thread in a soapbox forum somewhere if you want to show-off your "knowledge" of political science

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What most of you don't get:

The only thing that matters is if the ENDUSERS/people/population would go for the .eu or if they have a demand for another extension.Doesn't even have anything to do if they like the EU concept or not.This is about a domain extension and i'm trying to explain to you there is no such demand.

Remember - the big contrary to .us is the EU is no country, it's many different languages and different cultures..we have very little in common in our daily lives (europeans amongst each other i mean).The only thing where we feel some kind of unity is when it comes to POLITICAL issues like the war in iraq - but that's about it.

So again - to think there would be such a thing like 1 country called europe or enthusiastic endusers that are waiting for another new extension is wishful thinking.

Also remember - most endusers will think about THEIR clients and if THEIR clients will type in .eu some day or not.I know most potential enduser domain buyers here in germany rather change their domain name to something else but stay with .de than staying with the name but going for a different extension.If it's an international company you bet they will go for the same name in all the different *country* extensions because they are interested what their joe public endusers are used to and what those will type in - they don't care for the politics aspect of it or if it "would make sense".

But i give up now.

You'll see.

M

mole

Originally posted by icehole
zeal: you really are becoming unpopular here on the forums, so a friendly tip is to chill a bit.

Ice, if the sole objective for everyone here is to be popular for whatever reason, then I think we will lose a lot of wisdom from those who hold alternative viewpoints which may turn out correct, in some aspects, as we look at the world with wishful thinking and psychological blinders on.

I have learnt a lot about domains from those who challenged my forming perceptions about what can work and what may not work. And I can only thank them.

M

mole

Originally posted by beatz
Also remember - most endusers will think about THEIR clients and if THEIR clients will type in .eu some day or not.I know most potential enduser domain buyers here in germany rather change their domain name to something else but stay with .de than staying with the name but going for a different extension.If it's an international company you bet they will go for the same name in all the different *country* extensions because they are interested what their joe public endusers are used to and what those will type in - they don't care for the politics aspect of it or if it "would make sense".

Beatz, I agree that .eu will never be a mainstream default. .COM is. Your logic is based on mainstream acceptance for every sex, mp3, movies, business generic examples, and I would humbly agree that you are probably right.

As I already said, speculators will destroy the .eu namespace if they think its the next best thing to slice bread and hoard 98% of all of the best names. I understand Eurid is trying to figure out how to avoid this. Better to charge $1,000 per name than to let 1,000 $4.95 speculated names choke the namespace into oblivion.

I think .BIZ has taught the registry and domain observers a bitter lesson - it's not the quantity that matters, its the policing and quality.

Eurid is a non-profit, just like PIR is. Let's just see how well they can prevent history from repeating itself. PIR couldn't, they came in too late.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DNMole

Ice, if the sole objective for everyone here is to be popular for whatever reason, then I think we will lose a lot of wisdom from those who hold alternative viewpoints which may turn out correct, in some aspects, as we look at the world with wishful thinking and psychological blinders on.

Mole, if I am add something here.
I agree with your above statment completely.
I however fail to see how that is in response to what ice is saying.

If a certain member does not add anything, but statements like I dont talk to ordinary people...etc... and talks about politics *without* refering to the orginal thread which is how the .eu gTLD can be useful, then I must respectfully disagree.

To make the point even better, do a search on the specific poster and look at the majority of the posts. They are down right rude with basically nothing to add but an overfloated ego, and a bad attempt at showing some kind of superiority complex.

Then again, maybe it is I that am missing the point. I prefer to keep an open mind, and I am glad I am an ordinary person :)

M

mole

Originally posted by seeker
If a certain member does not add anything, but statements like I dont talk to ordinary people...etc... and talks about politics *without* refering to the orginal thread which is how the .eu gTLD can be useful, then I must respectfully disagree.

opps, go ray meee. sorry, I though ice was referring to beatz. (makes a note not to multitask too much while posting here).

sumo

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Icehole, I just gave an example. I didn't discuss politics. On the contrary, I underlined that I don't want to discuss politics.

Sorry but your post is completely pointless boy.

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole: no problem I should have said I was refering to zeal. i thought it was obvious considering his remarks.

zeal2: This is MY thread. Get your childish remarks out of it. And calling me boy is not something I will let you do. I am willing to bet I would trash you in real life (this boy ain't small and skinny) so please stop making such remarks.
And out of all the people, I didn't think a Turk would be dissing the EU considering you are trying so awfully hard to get in?

haha

sumo

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Being its your thread doesn't make your posts meaningful. I didn't want to insult you by calling you a "boy". Sorry, if you are offended. I'm sure you can kick my ass, I am powerlifting and only hundred kgs.

Read my posts carefully. I didn't say anything against EU. No one can deny that it is a powerful economic union but it is not a political union.

PS: Majority here don't want to get in EU. I don't want to discuss it neither.

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"it is not a political union."

^^ HAHA. Good luck with that, pal

wvspecialkvw

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I too am a power lifter...Do you also find it difficult to type on the keyboard because of your massive pectoral chest span...

"Who is your registrar and what do they do?"

.eu has a chance just like any other extension....Invest for the long haul...and be happy if you see short term results...

M

mole

Originally posted by wvspecialkvw
I too am a power lifter...Do you also find it difficult to type on the keyboard because of your massive pectoral chest span...

ROFLMAO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom