Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed FunFair.us

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke of Earl
Hey Ice - I wonder if it is a term that is used more outside the US, because I honestly have never heard it used here to describe an amusement park kind of attraction. Not trying to create an argument (and DA hasn't regged the name anyhow so he's not out anything). Is this a term you other Americans are familiar with?

Hey!
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to create an argument either, I was just surprised you didn't know it.

Actually, I also knew that it isn't used alot, I had just heard it a few times.

I would also go for amusement park or theme park etc.

Instinkt

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I use the time,but I live in England,so...

M

machine

that is an interesting lesson. Always check if a word is used in US before registering. I check with American friends who are not into domains. Wish I'd checked before I jumped at frocks.net - a frock is a european word for a dress but apparently unheard of in US.
Also I noticed carrycots.com available (might still be) but again not a word used in US.

mastmnds

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
kidkool what you said about addict being cowardly and cheap because he got it appraised before regging there is nothing wrong with that. i think it is smart business. answer me this when you buy a domain from some guy online you get a second opinion right. if you do does that make you cowardly and cheap. NO! its called smart business. why waste 10 bucks here and thre just to get an appraisal for 0.00. put it this way dnmember1 goes out and buys 100 names without appraisal first comes back they are worth total 250 bucks. big loss correct? now dnmember2 goes out looking makes a list gets them appraised now has 100 names worth 5000. i would rather be dnmeber2 walking away with more money than someone elses opinion saying im coward and cheap. Thanks my 2 cents

Kid Kool

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mastmnds
kidkool what you said about addict being cowardly and cheap because he got it appraised before regging there is nothing wrong with that. i think it is smart business. answer me this when you buy a domain from some guy online you get a second opinion right. if you do does that make you cowardly and cheap. NO! its called smart business. why waste 10 bucks here and thre just to get an appraisal for 0.00. put it this way dnmember1 goes out and buys 100 names without appraisal first comes back they are worth total 250 bucks. big loss correct? now dnmember2 goes out looking makes a list gets them appraised now has 100 names worth 5000. i would rather be dnmeber2 walking away with more money than someone elses opinion saying im coward and cheap. Thanks my 2 cents

actually it is not smart business. if the name had any value whatsoever someone would have regged it immediately after his posting

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
OK, well, the term fun fair actually *IS* used in the U.S., because I've heard of it and used it. Perhaps it's regional or something, I don't know.

Perhaps nobody's getting the name because it's a .us domain. That pretty much bleeds most of the value out of just about any name, IMNSHO.

People shouldn't waste everyone else's time by posting names for appraisal that they don't own. That just clutters up the board.

Of course maybe it'd be better to have seperate appraisal boards, one for .com/.net/.org names, one for everything else, and one for discusssion of value of names in general whether the people own them or not.

domainAddict

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Exactly! Whoever thinks that person who wants to save $10 (or $7) is cheap, shouldnt be in this business at first place (hell, shouldnt be in any business at all..). Just imagine that everyone of 2.500 members of DNF would think that. In that case I would ask each of them to donate $7/month to me (since thats nothing, right?) and I would be one hell of a rich bastard - 2.500 x $7 = $17.500. Anyway, Im willing to pay tousands of dollars for a domain that I think is worth it, but on the other side, I would never pay a cent for one that sux.

If that makes me "cheap" then so be it, but I rather reffer to it as being wise.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
... cheap because he got it appraised before regging there is nothing wrong with that. i think it is smart business. answer me this when you buy a domain from some guy online you get a second opinion right. if you do does that make you cowardly and cheap. NO! its called smart business.

Perhaps, Mastmnds, what Addicto did is "smart business" ... but it is against the rules here at DNForum. That's it. End of discussion (or should be, anyway).

PS. Like Duke, I ain't no moderator! ;)
Good Luck.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by CoolHost
PS. Like Duke, I ain't no moderator! ;)

That's true I'm not. Wonder if they have any openings for Agitators? I'm good at that :D

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Duke -
Yes, while you're "updating" signatures, links, colors, etc. maybe you should also reconsider your "title" ... INSTEAD of 'Nothing Can Stop Me' ... perhaps, "The Agitator"!?! And, would match well with that scary avator! LMAO. :)
Just kiddin' ... Have fun!
Good Luck.

schmidte

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
FunFair.us
Being in the teaching business for 24 years, a FunFair is a fairly common term for me (and propably for most schools) A FunFair is a money raising function where a group (let's say Cheerleaders) set up different games in a Gym, people (mostly kids) come and buy tickets and play the games to win prizes, similiar to a carnival. Cheerleaders make money, little kids win prizes, mothers get rid of their kids for a couple hours.................everybody's happy. Our school district has had many FunFairs.

Actually, a good idea for the site would be to sell kits for putting on one of these FunFair carnivals. And also provide ideas on types of games and activities that could be played.

Good Luck

Also I used to put unregged names in the apprasial section until they changed the rules................so I quit.

I've always thought that there should be a separate appraisial section where GregR and several other trusted appraisers could give pre-regged appraisials, but that would probably be an administrative nightmare setting up.

domainAddict

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by CoolHost
Duke -
Yes, while you're "updating" signatures, links, colors, etc. maybe you should also reconsider your "title" ... INSTEAD of 'Nothing Can Stop Me' ... perhaps, "The Agitator"!?! And, would match well with that scary avator! LMAO. :)
Just kiddin' ... Have fun!
Good Luck.
Interesting how you all love to shit around my post. Ok, you guys made your point and that should be enough. But you keep crying about how I shouldnt do this cos it says so in the rules. Well heres another rule that Ive come along (funny how you easily overlooked it) it says: "Stay focused on the topic under discussion." I guess Im not the only one arranging the rules..

But hey, I love yaa all :D so please if mods can just delete this thread or something, before this gets out of hands and we start arguing.. Its not worth it. Peace.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by schmidte
A FunFair is a money raising function where a group (let's say Cheerleaders) set up different games in a Gym, people (mostly kids) come and buy tickets and play the games to win prizes, similiar to a carnival. Cheerleaders make money, little kids win prizes, mothers get rid of their kids for a couple hours.................everybody's happy. Our school district has had many FunFairs.

Now see, if I had not been kicked out of elementary school I would have known that! :)

I think the name sounds good, just wasn't familiar with the term with respect to large fairs and carnivals. Makes a lot of sense for the school functions you describe. We have them here too but they call them something else. As Dan noted, I wouldn't buy it in .US for resale value today, but it would be fine for a developer. (might them be some resale value down the line if .US does catch on as many expect it to).

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by domainAddict
"Stay focused on the topic under discussion." I guess Im not the only one arranging the rules..
But hey, I love yaa all :D so please if mods can just delete this thread or something, before this gets out of hands and we start arguing.. Its not worth it. Peace.

'Fair enough ... and certainly not worth an argument with my cool pal, Addicto'.
"FunFair.us": Being in the United States, and assuming this IS for an United States audience (in the ".US") ... I've never heard of the term. Certainly, if one owned a fair, or had a vested interest in such, I could see how, if developed, "FunFair" could be kind of catchy. However, in my opinion ... that potential is small, and even more limited with the unproven ".US", in resale. IMO.
Thank you for your patience.
Good Luck.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Interesting how you all love to shit around my post.

Hey, you don't think we are going to poop in our own posts do you? :D

It's all good DA. Think of all the replies and page views that are racking up DNF $ for you. Besides, I think it has been an instructive thread. I don't think they'll give you the chair for asking for an appraisal on it, so no worries.

domainAddict

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I know.. I just think its pointless to argue about this. Im aware now, that its against the rules, I just think that its a bad rule. I understand that forum would be flooded if everyone would be asking about domains they dont own, and I would hate that. But this case is different - I was actually going to buy this name, just posted it here first as a precaution. Im glad now I did, and I think that this shouldnt qualify as same as domains that we dont own.. Besides, rules are to be broken, right? ;) Anyway, from now on Ill just follow the rules, though I hope theyll soon modify them a bit.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Just as an 'FYI:

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18715

... which is an ongoing thread regarding this very subject in the "Suggestions/Feedback" area. Providing this link is in no way serving to 'inflame THIS thread, or incite anyone. I just happen to come across it very recently. And, I'm very much overweight. ;)
Hope it proves helpful ... and BE COOL! :)
Good Luck.

domainAddict

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
So is there a place on this forum where we can ask for oppinion on unregged names? :)

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So is there a place on this forum where we can ask for oppinion on unregged names? :)

PM GregR everytime you need one. Bet it won't take long for him to change the rule! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators