Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Geo or Targetted Industry Domains-What do You "Old-Timers" Think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vcr330

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Although the title of this post is affectionately addressed to "Old-Timers", I'm interested in everyone's opinion.

As I stated in my post over on the new member intro board, I am new to domaining--"new" as in never have done it; I can almost see some of you doing these: :rolleyes:.

But from my reading here over the weekend, I saw some of the advice pointing to particular industries. For example, a gentleman here who is in finance (sorry I forgot his name, but I believe he's related to James Booth?), indicated he had some domains in the finance field, where he works.

My thinking goes along those lines that while everyone may want the four-letter .coms, etc., that sell for the gazillions of $, there is probably some pretty good room to grow either geographically and/or a combination of geography and industry. For example, I am a lawyer who practices in a specific geographical area and a very specific practice. It is difficult for us to stand out from the herd of lawyers online unless our sites provide some useful info (beyond the "I'm a lawyer too" information). But I've had some really good conversion using specific domain names that target a geographical area and a specific service. They are not long names by any means but definitely not four letter domains.

I saw some other comments regarding the need to educate end-users. So in building a site for marketing some of those domains I've bought, I'm of course writing content to try and do that.

My thinking is that since I know the industry and have some experience in what is working, this and similar targeting might have more of a chance to grow.

Thanks for your input.

Vivian

P.S. I think a "four letter" domain is referred to as LLLL.com, but not sure; have to make time to read the glossary of terms I saw somewhere in here.

Domain summit 2024

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Vivian,

You are on the right track. It makes little sense to jump in at the deep end when just learning to swim. Better to master your corner of the shallow section, then gradually begin to work your way out from there.

Laser focus on the area you know. You already know the language of your market, the magazines they read, the needs they have. Speak to them directly, and you'll see the best results for your efforts.

I am in a specific legal/finance niche, and just by paying attention have been able to amass a strong collection of relevant domains to my market.

Good luck!

vcr330

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you Jack. That is indeed encouraging. The challenge I face right now is staying away from registering a lot of domains (have 56 total). For example, the SCt ruling on DOMA is responsible for my registering blitz on same-sex immigration sites, which I think have good potential for immigration attorneys.

Right now, I'm wondering whether to do a traditional blog site or just include one on the site I'm creating. I guess only testing will show me which way to go.

Thanks again!

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Vivian

my advice, whatever niche' and the names relating to them, should be kept to yourself.

at least until you have scraped the cream

otherwise, a lot of names that 'were' available...won't be.

imo....

vcr330

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Biggie, so true..thank you for reminding me of that. I guess my newbiness is showing :blush:

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Go with what you know first. Targeted keywords in your niche. If you are a (geo) lawyer, I would go for (geo[Seattle])Lawyer in a metropolitan area as well as SeattleInjuryLawyer.com (specific field). Since there are lawyers for just about everything; as you know, if you get too generic with it, you may be getting DUI calls when you do malpractice suits only. This may be an expensive purchase if it's owned by a domainer already and not by a competing lawyer, or you may get lucky and it went unnoticed like FarlowDivorceAttorney.com and unregistered (off the top of my head, didn't check) which has exact match searches of XX a month.

Those XX to XXX+ a month is your target audience if you're an end user looking for clients. Not much will find you if you're Davidson & Bradley & Wilson Injury Law Firm (dbwilf.com ?) unless you do extremely good SEO and keep on top of it.

Build minisites around law terms that you know and can passionately write about or outsource to have done (Chuck the administrator here is great at that). Use this as your pyramid to start ranking to become #1 for that term or your "money site" as well as doing good SEO so that you can ultimately rank #1 on Google and have the phones ringing off the hook.

Additionally, there could be LLLL acronyms that you know such as OUID (if DUI attorney) that could relate to your firm to develop (LLLL.com).

The profits with this; being a lawyer, could by far exceed the investments made with new clientele.

vcr330

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi David. Thank you for the info. I will look at the mini sites. The writing is not a problem but I like the idea of building a few of those site so definitely will keep Chuck in mind. I already have a site that I use for my practice that gave me the idea to get register some for larger metro areas--was very surprised they were not taken since in other areas they were already being developed.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If it's along what I put, doesn't rank well but has exact matches, you need to do SEO work on it.

Feel free to PM the name.

vcr330

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
David, I think I cannot PM now, but once they upgrade my membership (I think later today), I will do so. Thank you

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank you Jack. That is indeed encouraging. The challenge I face right now is staying away from registering a lot of domains (have 56 total). For example, the SCt ruling on DOMA is responsible for my registering blitz on same-sex immigration sites, which I think have good potential for immigration attorneys.

Be careful. I have been domaining since 1998 or so, and even now I occasionally find myself getting some head-scratchers.

Create a plan of what you want, and don't deviate from it unless the opportunity is extraordinary.

One more lesson worth learning... a year from now, if you haven't figured out what to do with a name, don't be afraid to let it go. Think of it as evolution. The strong survive and procreate, the weak die off. If you stubbornly refuse to let the weak domains die, you can find yourself carrying that dead weight for years for no good reason.

copper

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Vivian,

Welcome to DNF.

Luckily for you, local (geo) search terms for specific niche is NOT too hard to rank.

Here is very basic todo list...

• Use proper local niche domain.
  • If you haven't done so already, create facebook acct, google+, linkedin, twitter...(link to your site).
  • Show exactly same address, phone# and name of your establishment on all your online presence.
  • Regularly update your site with unique content.
  • Join niche specific (legal forum?) forum or social site and participate actively (link to your site).
  • And of course, onpage SEO.

Good Luck ;)

vcr330

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good morning and Happy 4th to all those celebrating it.

@ Jack...I hear you, thank you. When I started looking for domains for myself 5 years ago, I had a lot registered. Of course didn't even know this business existed but wanted to secure some names for my practice. Since many of my fellow lawyers think of domains along the lines of what David posted (i.e. dbwilf.com) I was good, but let them go cause I didn't know what to do with them. Re the plan: yes, that is what I'm trying to make from all the notes I've taken here (but there is so much info, lol).

@ Copper..thank you for the welcome and that great to-do list as well! Have not created those accounts because I'm in the process of creating the site--this weekend is good for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators