Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Get any mobile domain you want for FREE

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasMate

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Jas...it won't upset me if you make a huge profit from .mobi. in fact I wish you all the best with it. I don't own any because I don't want any. I think that what you mean by hype is momentum or successful marketing and I agree with you that that is a good thing for sales. When I mentioned hype I'm referring to exaggerated or misleading claims.

Ok good to see we are on the same page :greensmilewinkgrin:
I have not heard any misleading claims yet myself, but then again I have not read all there is to read - too busy reg'ing .mobi's for that :p

I'll give a related example of why someone might bash hype:

Peapod.com came along with the amazing and revolutionary idea of delivering groceries and taking the orders over the internet. Suddenly their stock market value was greater than that of Albertson or Safeway. The "haters" like myself pointed out that Albertson and Safeway had thousands of stores, millions of dollars in infrastructure, real revenue and actual earnings. Albertson and Safeway were national while Peapod was pretty much local to the bay areaHow hard would it be for the big guys to put up a website and deliver groceries if this were really such an amazing and revolutionary idea?

I think that's e-promotes point here. That this really isn't as amazing and revolutionary...or even as necessary as people may believe it is. Couldn't companies just add a "click here for mobile interface" button to their existing sites?

However, a lot of people made big money early on Peapod. It's those who held on that lost everything.

Good point you have there. I hope your wrong about mobi :'(

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good point you have there. I hope your wrong about mobi

Just make your money early and you'll be fine.

There will be plenty of internet usage from mobile devices. The real opportunity here is starting a service the rearranges existing websites for mobile interface. Anyone here know how to do that? I'd like to partner up. I think pretty quickly google will be offering a "click here for mobile compatible site search".

akaning3

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Guy's the link is not supposed to work, it's just an example...I karumba

rsequin, I'm not a hater, I just don't like all the hype and I rather see people save their money. They are trying to create demand where demand doest not exist, it's marketing 101. I can uderstand why you don't want to hear it, you have .mobi's for sale...

Are you saying that .mobi buyers are stupid!? are you trying to play "hero"? So, you think you know more than anyone else? best to mind your own business and pay attention to what "you" buy. You are not always right. I am not always right.
Anyways, what was your point? I mean, prove to use with "evidence" that we are wasting our money. I want to see facts, not opinions. If you dont have any proven facts, let us do our own investing.

Here are my facts:
I bought $2,600 worth of domain names. I sold 2 to a Japanese company. Those 2 names paid off my .mobi names plus $100. So my names were free, and i took my girl out, had fun :smokin: :preggers: , drank, etc. for free. Hmmm. Great investment for me, bad investment for you. you wanna see my creditcard receipt!?

The whole thing is a risk. If we didnt risk the investment, we would be kicking ourselves in our :censored: .

Can this thread end now? :wubpink:

**** Thread ended *****

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are you saying that .mobi buyers are stupid!? are you trying to play "hero"? So, you think you know more than anyone else? best to mind your own business and pay attention to what "you" buy. You are not always right. I am not always right.
Anyways, what was your point? I mean, prove to use with "evidence" that we are wasting our money. I want to see facts, not opinions. If you dont have any proven facts, let us do our own investing.

Here are my facts:
I bought $2,600 worth of domain names. I sold 2 to a Japanese company. Those 2 names paid off my .mobi names plus $100. So my names were free, and i took my girl out, had fun , drank, etc. for free. Hmmm. Great investment for me, bad investment for you. you wanna see my creditcard receipt!?

The whole thing is a risk. If we didnt risk the investment, we would be kicking ourselves in our .

I think your really missing the whole point. I went to Vegas and won $1200 the first hour I was there. I should have left then.

You tell me. If I owned Amazon.com, why should I spend millions advertising a domain with a new extension when I could just put a "click here for mobile interface" button on my existing site?

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
akaning, if you want to know what I said, just read my posts...I never said I know more or that your dumb if you buy .mobi...Seriously I'm really wondering why some here are taking it so personally, it's like your all wrapped up in it...

I'll give a related example of why someone might bash hype:
Peapod.com came along with the amazing and revolutionary idea of delivering groceries and taking the orders over the internet.

Webvan.com also had the same plan in the bay area and they covinced IC's to give them 100 MIL which they eventually squandered...turns out the only thing that was revolutionary about their idea was how fast they could burn 100 MIL...

1john2004

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can not get any Mobi domain for free as topicstarter promised.:mad2:
I want sex.com/mobi....
Ok, maybe this is too much, lets try next option: 556.com/mobi???:confused:
I can't get this one either. !!!!!!!!!
So I will stick to the one I own
556.mobi :)

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just make your money early and you'll be fine.

There will be plenty of internet usage from mobile devices. The real opportunity here is starting a service the rearranges existing websites for mobile interface. Anyone here know how to do that? I'd like to partner up. I think pretty quickly google will be offering a "click here for mobile compatible site search".

The market is already saturated. It's been in place for a few years already. Hence why some are saying there was no need for .mobi

Edit - I should note much of this technology/software is available for free. Any existing site can be mobile ready with a little bit of work. And your first line may be the most prescient I have read from you yet.

akaning3

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think your really missing the whole point. I went to Vegas and won $1200 the first hour I was there. I should have left then.

You tell me. If I owned Amazon.com, why should I spend millions advertising a domain with a new extension when I could just put a "click here for mobile interface" button on my existing site?
i got your point. i think. i guess you just debating and not attacking. Well, the opportunity came about, so we got some names. I had the extra cash in doing it. I dont know others opinions, but as for me, it was a good chance. Why not buy a few names!? why not? if someone spent $80,000, well, i would feel bad for him unless he got some good names to sell.
I want to add that here in japan, people access their mobile phone more than their pc. There are a lot of accesses to sites that are short, simple and easy to remember. as for their MENU on the carriers phone, it takes a few steps to get to the site. In the train/subway, the ads are FULL of mobile phone URLS that are long and unmemorable. There are also QRcodeshttp://pukupi.com/tools/codeatron/ that they can access, but at times, its more difficult for users to acces.
As for my job, I am a mobile developer developing mobile websites for these carriers. My company has 7 mobile websites with about 5,000 members. We see these stats where the user mostly access to our sites from the carriers. Next in line are the people who type in the URL to the mobile phones. the others that fall behind are the QRcode access and MAILMAG emails sent to the users. Now. If the users access the site that is memorable, those stats would increase, thus bringing in more customers. One of the .mobi names i own is www.uta.mobi which means "music". I have 6 mobile website affiliates on that mobile website. This month, i have so far received about $300. So far, users and the general public are unaware of this .mobi extension. Im happy. They are happy. If you got a good name, great. if not, mmmmmm. i dont know. Anyways, with my sites, im happy with 75% of them. Once this extension is announced to the general public, i think it will boom. notice i said I THINK. You have your opinion. i have my proof.
Lets all smoke a piece pipe and be friends again. can we?
:kiss:

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In the train/subway, the ads are FULL of mobile phone URLS that are long and unmemorable.......I am a mobile developer developing mobile websites for these carriers. .......One of the .mobi names i own is www.uta.mobi which means "music". I have 6 mobile website affiliates on that mobile website. This month, i have so far received about $300. ......So far, users and the general public are unaware of this .mobi extension.........Once this extension is announced to the general public, i think it will boom...... You have your opinion. i have my proof. Lets all smoke a piece pipe and be friends again. can we? :kiss:
This entire post must sound like "music" to the ears of .Mobi investors....:angel_smile: As for the skeptics and naysayers, dunno..!!

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This entire post must sound like "music" to the ears of .Mobi investors....:angel_smile: As for the skeptics and naysayers, dunno..!!
As a verified skeptic :becky: that sounded good to me too. Heck, I want to be convinced, but wouldn't that content work just as well on UTA.jp/mobi ?

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As a verified skeptic :becky: that sounded good to me too. Heck, I want to be convinced, but wouldn't that content work just as well on UTA.jp/mobi ?

content won't be the same .... compare the two ...

www.businessweek.com
www.businessweek.mobi

2 totally different sites with a different extent of content on each - their developers had to make a conscious decision on how and what to include on each

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
content won't be the same .... compare the two ...

www.businessweek.com
www.businessweek.mobi

2 totally different sites with a different extent of content on each - their developers had to make a conscious decision on how and what to include on each
Yeah, I understand that thanks. But couldn't the same page layout / links / content / whatever have been plugged on businessweek.com/mobi in exactly the same fashion? What is to stop all the current sites from just adding the sub with the mobi content so all users know to just add /mobi ?

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I understand that thanks. But couldn't the same page layout / links / content / whatever have been plugged on businessweek.com/mobi in exactly the same fashion? What is to stop all the current sites from just adding the sub with the mobi content so all users know to just add /mobi ?

i don't know send an email to business week and ask them? let me know what you find out.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

The answer is yes, it is possible as we all know.. but, its harder to sell somthing that already exists.. could you imagine the commercials for that one? "check it out guys, your mobile phone will probably work on example.com just add /mobile to it!"

lets be honest here, .mobi is a marketing scheme at least partially.. not every marketing scheme will work, but some do.. especially ones involving multi-billion dollar corporations, not to mention the public isnt as informed as the people watching the entire process unfold under a microscope...like us.

this chance of "catching on" should not be ignored even through the eyes of the healthiest skeptics..

compubahn

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here is a related question.

If the argument is that .mobi is not needed because the mobile content can be addressed by using browser detection, theoretically, the same could be true of .mobi sites being able to serve different content and/or css based on browser detection.

If so, does CSS@media work reliably? I found some info that some of the mobile browsers are not css compliant and will render css based on "screen" as opposed to "handheld". However the info was 2 years old.

It would be nice to service all visitors with the same database driven content & just remove some of the bells & whistles on the mobile.css.

I am not a natural born coder - so forgive me if the question is silly.

^ figured this out. I think....

...for mobile sites load mobile.css as default & use javascript to detect browser width >750 then load screen.css. My new phone is coming in next week. I'll test it then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators