Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Getting an iPad? Don't pay extra for the 3G!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Apple and AT&T don't want you to know this so, shhh.... :smilewinkgrin:

Many new smart phones on the market are either already 3G Hot Spots or are quite easily made to be their own hotspot.

What this means is that, YES! You can make your phone a hot spot to run other wireless devices INCLUDING THE iPAD!

I just read this article on Wired about making your iPhone a Hot Spot to run the iPad:

Jailbreak App Turns iPhone Into 3G Modem for iPad

Stian, pcproffenno, mentioned to me that his phone is an Android OS and it is a hot spot.

That got me thinking about my own phone, the Google Nexus One, running on Android.

And sure enough, there is an app capable of turning my phone into a 3G Hot Spot.

It is called PDAnet for Android.

It costs about $16 bucks (used to be $30) and it does work.

I have tried other wireless devices and have had no problems at all. As long as I (or you) have 3G coverage for your phone you have your hot spot in your pocket.

Insert cheesy joke: (is that a hot spot in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?)

So, ask yourself; Do you want to have to pay an additional $100+ for a 3G model PLUS another $30 per month to have an ADDITIONAL AT&T plan?

Hey, it's your money.

So you decide -

pay 10 bucks for the iPhone app

or

pay 16 bucks for the Android app

or

Pay at least an additional 100 bucks for a 3G model PLUS 360 bucks a year for an AT&T plan.

A one time fee of either $10 or $16 versus pay over $460 the first year (and $360 each additional year) for the 3G model.

The money you save in the first year alone you can buy another iPad and give it to your mom for Mother's Day.

Last edited:

dolansco

LLL or HELLL
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Symbian OS phone ( mainly Nokia ... eg n97 ) using Joikuspot or similar ... I have been doing it for several years....

Ipad ... nah ...... id rather a proper laptop tnx

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Apple-free zone here. I like Steve Jobs, I just don't like his cult products.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I like it though I prefer simple solution provided by iPad.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Apple-free zone here. I like Steve Jobs, I just don't like his cult products.
I have not tried it or opened it yet, but I do have the iPad.

The primary reason I purchased it is the Apps to use it as a sketch pad/graphics pad.

Otherwise, I was looking at the Cintiq, at least $999 for the 12" and over $2,000.00 for the larger model. Plus, neither was really portable and could only be used with the computer that all the programs and drivers were on.

I think this will allow me to sketch, paint, draw on the go as well as give presentations.

I am also looking at potentially illustrating some kids books for a couple of authors. If permission is granted, having the story along with the illustrations on the iPad (by making an ebook/ibook) is priceless.

We have Therapy Dogs and two are used for reading therapy. Imagine if the stories (or even flash cards) are on the iPad. With the great backlighting and resolution, it can be used in front of several children.

My wife has two upcoming StoryTelling sessions coming up at the Children's Museum. Normally the story is read aloud and the book held up to show the kids the pictures. It can be an awkward and fumbling task.

I look at new technology as what can it become, what can it be used for, and how can this become a tool that will help in productivity and presentation.

That's why, for what I plan and intend to do, the iPad is a winner in regards to size, weight, portability, and presentation.

It is and will be a tool that I can use repeatedly to save me money, time, and effort.

Plus, I think it would be cool to illustrate stories while they are being read. Yes, a high powered, high productivity, high resolution etch-a-sketch.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Spot-on for the high res "etch-a-sketch" iPad. :D

I have the Wacom Cintiq 12" and it's truly worth the thousand bucks for its very dedicated function.

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm online anywhere, anytime with my iPad via HSDPA (Super-3G/3,5G) thanks to my HTC HD2 mobile which, as Doc says, has a wifi router feature. I wouldn't even trade my iPad 64GB Wifi into a 3G model. The 3G model is heavier and has poorer battery life. :)

BTW, I've never been an Apple fan myself, but the iPad seriously rocks. It does everything my netbook used to do, only faster and better. The few things the iPad can't do, can easily be done with iTap RDP (RDP'ing to my Windows 7 box) which works flawlessly. Windows 7 on the iPad anyone? :)

dolansco

LLL or HELLL
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
3G is so old.

Friends of mine are getting 6MbpS-9MbpS (measured and consistent) with their mobile devices. ;)

via HSDPA ( 3.5G ) as Stian said ... USA will catch up ( it is slowly ... just it is old everywhere else ).

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I haven't owned anything Apple since the IIe, but I got my iPad 3G delivered on Friday. I absolutely love it. I looked at all of the options for creating a WiFi hotspot, but I have a cheap, budget cell phone and plan, which is fine for what I need. The only time I will use the 3G is when traveling, and the nice part about the 3G plan is that there isn't any contract, so I can sign up for a month and then cancel it.

I bought it mostly for media consumption (books,movies,music), and although I'm not much of a video gamer, I love the Real Racing HD :)

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
via HSDPA ( 3.5G ) as Stian said ... USA will catch up ( it is slowly ... just it is old everywhere else ).

HSDPA is even starting to get old. We already have 4G networks in the big cities. No mobile phones to support it yet though, but you can get 4G adapters with wifi capabilities.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Spot-on for the high res "etch-a-sketch" iPad. :D

I have the Wacom Cintiq 12" and it's truly worth the thousand bucks for its very dedicated function.
i have a feeling i may get one for finer detail stuff.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The two graphics apps I will start to immediately use are Brushes and SketchBook Pro.

I was not too thrilled to hear about Jobs hatred towards Adobe.

So, at some point in the future I may be looking at an Android tablet. I have been able to download (for free) an Adobe Photoshop App onto my Google Android phone. Very cool! Take a picture on the phone and do your magic before uploading. I am sure Adobe Illustrator and other Adobe products are on the way to the Android Mobile market.

Also, for those that were waiting for the HP tablet running MS Windows, your wait will be longer.

Word is that HP has now scrapped plans to release their new tablet.

The reason for this is HP's purchase of Palm.

Yes, it looks as if HP has dissed Microsoft's Mobile platform.

The entire wireless and mobile market is being turned on its head and you can contribute that to Apples innovative devices. Everyone is now trying to come out with similar or more robust products, including HP and others. Even Microsoft knows they are losing ground (like, REAL FAST!) in the mobile market. Microsoft has even been in talks with Google and the Android consortium.

So get ready to have more and more products in the next year or so that will knock your socks off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom