• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

closed GolfCourses.us

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.
.us extention is hard to determine value sometimes I think , growing but limited market , I have golfresort.us and have had many mid $XXX reseller offers , but I won't sell for less than 2k reseller and mid-high $X,XXX end user, I think your name is in the same ballpark.
 
limited market

Third most populous nation on earth expected to increase by about a third relatively soon, plus others, in a huge multi-trillion dollar economy? At least you acknowledged it is growing.

Anyone care to guess what would happen if the American pubilc finally discovers for real that .us even exists, which fortunately is already happening? :)

"Golf courses" and "golf course" are totally top-of-mind, but imo by comparison people don't really think in terms of "*resort" or "*resorts" and those phrases would tend to trail a thousand miles behind the first two.
 
i would say low to mid $x,xxx reseller and low to mid $xx,xxx enduser.
 
With an extension like this, probably the time factor is the most important thing. If you wanted to sell in the next 3 months, you would probably have to price it under $1K. If you have two years to find a buyer, maybe you could sell it for $5K. Not because the value would go up, but because the right buyer is more likely to come along in a 2 year period.

In giving appraisals people talk about end user/reseller. It would probably be more meaningful to talk about length of time you are willing to wait for the right buyer ( 90 days/2 years).

So I say 90 days, $800. 2 years, $2,500.
 
Third most populous nation on earth expected to increase by about a third relatively soon, plus others, in a huge multi-trillion dollar economy? At least you acknowledged it is growing.

.

talking about current domain market , not population.
 
I think golf.us is a whole different thing, you are mixing things up here.. I understand that you love golf, its a great sport ..but fact is that the domain has a very limited use..it can be a directory for golf courses in the US, thats pretty much it...it can in no way be compared to golf.us. the assumptions you are making inme appraising golf.us at some price are dumb and unfounded....

I would appraise golfcourses.us at $10,000. Minimum. And I'll tell you why.

At one time, I was the editor/partner of the aforementioned golf sites. My partner (known as TC to the regulars at DS) got golfcourses.com for a great price. An even better deal on golflessons.com. At the time we probably paid too much for golfresorts.com, but with the way the market's jumped since then, it looks like a steal. We also had an arrangement with the owner of golftips.com and we purchased golfshirts.com. Those were the Big 5, and we had individual statecourses.com to drive the local geo. Plus, a ton of other, niche/marketing golf names.

For someone to suggest the domain has a very limited use..it can be a directory for golf courses in the US, thats pretty much it ... and I'll be nice here ... has no clue or very, very limited vision with regards to development ... which is the best use for a name like golfcourses.us.

Not only did we have a directory from the fine folks at the National Golf Foundation, we allowed people to rank their favorite courses and comment on the good, bad and ugly of each course. Did I mention they had to become a member in order to do so? Maybe I should mention the value of having 75 to 100 people signing up each day. We also provided a tiered membership program where people could post their handicaps and get other, premium member bennies for a small, monthly fee.

We (well, I) put out a weekly newsletter highlighting a course of the week - which, not so coincidentally - happened to be a golf course that paid for premium listings on that directory list. We also included a tip of the week from golflessons, a resort of the week from golfresorts as well as three or four of the best course comments from regular readers.

In short, it became a community. We went from simple type-in and a few pageviews in December, 2004 to nearly 1,000,000 pageviews a month by June, 2005.

Now, obviously there was more to what we did than just buying a premium dot us, but the point remains - golf courses has at least a 1A to 1B relationship with the term golf. In fact, if one were to go back and look at the ovt during certain months you'll find higher ovt for golf courses than for golf.

Anyway, I don't mean to step on anybody's toes but an appraisal of xxx for golfcourses.us is just as insulting as those who appraise a three-word, hypenated dot net in the x,xxx range. In short, you're not making an accurate appraisal.

And if you're wondering why I'm no longer part of the golf stuff? It's because TC is a bastige.;) Actually, I jumped off and started on my own.
 
I would appraise golfcourses.us at $10,000. Minimum. And I'll tell you why.

I think its great that you developed the .com into a great page, but you are comparing .coms and .us, thats just not accurate..if you think golfcourses is worth more than just a domain golf I think you are misleading people,

and by putting in a lot of work into the .com you certainly increased the value a lot, everything has potential, but this is just an appraisal for a name, whatever vision you have and claim others dont is just rude...

...I never appraised any 3 hyphen .nets at $$$$, so I dont know what you are talking about, and again, I think its a great domain, I just dont see it as s $$.$$$ for resellers, I did say its $$$$ end user.. I am just being more realistic since I am a real reseller that is willing to buy domains at reseller prices instead of those that say somehting is worth alot but would never actually make an offer in that range,.. most people without money are very quick appraising things high..make a real offer for 15K and I will admit I am wrong
 
I think its great that you developed the .com into a great page, but you are comparing .coms and .us, thats just not accurate..if you think golfcourses is worth more than just a domain golf I think you are misleading people,

I'm not misleading anyone. I clearly laid out what can be done with the keywords, cited an example of the value of the keywords compared to 'golf' and placed the value according to the tld.

and by putting in a lot of work into the .com you certainly increased the value a lot, everything has potential, but this is just an appraisal for a name, whatever vision you have and claim others dont is just rude...

You are taking things way too personally. At no point was I being rude. In fact, a good argument could be made that you are. You are placing a value on a name according to your narrow standards. If one doesn't take into account the potential for the name and its best use, one is leaving out a factor in determining value. It's not all about type-in. People base valuations according to their standards. That's fine. But not one size fits all ... though you seem to think yours is the only valuation method that matters. (there. that's rude)

...I never appraised any 3 hyphen .nets at $$$$, so I dont know what you are talking about
Please point out where I said you did. I simply stated that a low-ball appraisal is just as misleading as one that's too high ... which I believe is a point you were making before you started taking things personally.

I am just being more realistic since I am a real reseller that is willing to buy domains at reseller prices instead of those that say somehting is worth alot but would never actually make an offer in that range,.. most people without money are very quick appraising things high..make a real offer for 15K and I will admit I am wrong

And I'm pointing out where I don't think you're being reasonable. Just because you say so doesn't make that a fact. And somehow a 10k appraisal turns into 'make a real offer of 15k and I'll be right?' Whatever.

Here's a tip: stop accusing others of being rude, misleading, dumb, unfounded and greedy. Accept that your view may not always be the right one. If you had this name, I would gladly take it off your hands for twice your appraisal. You'd think I was a dope for paying too much; I'd be chuckling at my new-found good luck.

Good name, Shaggy. Keep up your development plans and run with it.
 
the interesting part about some of these appraisals is that there are a lot of us who would buy the names for beyond these prices right now....and I don't even like .us very much...

that's why the thread is here I guess.
 
If you had this name, I would gladly take it off your hands for twice your appraisal. You'd think I was a dope for paying too much; I'd be chuckling at my new-found good luck.

Good name, Shaggy. Keep up your development plans and run with it.

I would be diffenently bidding against you on this one if that was the case:p

Like I said, everyone has their opinions, what ever the apprasial was. I know for a fact that there will be a ton of people that would jump on this if offered at $800, hell, even $2000 would be a steal for them. I am not looking to sell this name anytime soon, just was bored and thought I'd see what others thought.

I had my good buddy bob(as in Bob at DNF) create a site for me. Already, for me not doing a thing to it for some time after Bob finished it, I have been getting 150+ uniques a day. Not only that, my real life job is building these things. So its a win win for me ;)
 
Interesting Thread, although I rather tend to agree with the lower appraisals here it a good discussion.
It seems Chuma is a little condescending here. I can honestly say I have seen more domain sales than 99% of the people here (and I am only saying that because my DNF status might be misleading), and for a .us domain to be priced at XX.XXX for a reseller it would have to be a lot better of a name in my opinon, because that would mean its at least 50K enduser, and I am not even sure that the .com sold for that much. Domains usually dont sell on potential, especially not to resellers, they sell on real current value.
Really good name, development is the only way for .us IMO.
 
I own many .US names including some pretty good ones. It is tough getting offers for what they are really worth. What the .COM got is pretty immaterial. I own Wine.US and Art.US. Both of the .COMs, once upon a time, were bought for a million or more for use with the big sites that both are today. I'm not going to sell these cheaply and I do believe that they will appreciate but as to offers, I've gotten about 6-8K (maybe) offers for 'wine' and a few in the 10-11K range for 'art'. I do want a good deal more, so I do understand your position.

If you want money for GolfCourses.US soon, sell it for a high XXX offer. I believe that you'll likely need to wait or put a truly useful site on it for it to get an XXXX or better offer. There is always luck, of course so no one can fully predict what what a domain will sell for.

Truth in advertising: I'm getting ready to ask for a couple of .US appraisals here myself!

PS - I just figured out that you do have an interesting site there. My notes were for the domain only. Did you buy a database somewhere? Do they offer other interesting databases? Thanks!
 
Nice list you got there radioz. Thanks for all the info everyone :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom