Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

google Brand New Domain Names Released to the Internet - The Rush Begins ... - PR Leap (press release)

Status
Not open for further replies.

plato1

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If it wasnt for people exactly like in this forum, we would still be using the telephone and nobody never have gone thru the immense hassel of getting onto the Internet. yes...why get a computer...why get all the software...why get a modem...why why why etc etc ...its easier to phone...and until relatively recently it sure was!!

Yes, there are a lot of really good points made but surely the main point is that it all this dotworlds stuff works.

It isnt difficult to see that a lot of people must be using it right across the world...and the more people that use it (not just register stuff ..like myself :bathbaby: ) then the more people will take to it.

If it works for you great, if it doesnt, then dont use it. I am surprised that sometimes new innovation gets immediate dismissal - whatever it is. The internet is changing every day and no-one knows where it will be tomorrow

So what am i gonna do...I am gonna be sensible....I am STILL gonna stock up :amen:

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
plato1 said:
It isnt difficult to see that a lot of people must be using it right across the world...and the more people that use it (not just register stuff ..like myself :bathbaby: ) then the more people will take to it.

And your evidence of this?

As pointed out, on another Forum. I it was so bloody good, then why do they use a dot com site to promote it?

11jsd

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Because people haven't (yet?) got the plug in

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Because people haven't (yet?) got the plug in

And how are people going to get the plug-in or know where to go when they come to "thiswillnever.work"? There are no pop ups, no notices, just an unresolving page. Magic?

11jsd

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"And how are people going to get the plug-in or know where to go when they come to "thiswillnever.work"? There are no pop ups, no notices, just an unresolving page. Magic?"

Hence the yet? But if dotsworld do manage to sort out an agreement with some reasonable size browser firm, then who knows. Again, I don't think this will be the next big thing, but I hope it is.

plato1

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
And your evidence of this?

If you look on their home page, they give some examples (i think five or six at a time) of what domain names their customers have registered. Each time you refresh the page you get another set. The list goes on and on.

I must say that I do agree with some of the comments on this forum that some people (like me) are just registering these domains with dotworlds without forwarding/configuring anywhere (a number of these example domains have clearly not been set up to resolve anywhere by their owners). However, many of them have been configured and do resolve. These sites i have seen are from all around the world, quite different content and in various languages

......this is not conclusive I grant you..... but you gotta give them credit for showing exactly what they have - not just the selected "good examples/highlights".

Its as you say, you have to use them too for any value to appreciate....but if groups and bloggers find them useful.......

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
11jsd said:
if dotsworld do manage to sort out an agreement with some reasonable size browser firm

That will never happen. IE is the only browser that matters and microsoft will never go for it. They have single handedly held IDN back for the last 5 years from lack of browser support. Why, will they never go for this? I can think of a hundred million reasons.

M.icrosoft
Mi.crosoft
Mic.rosoft
Micro.soft
Micros.oft
Microsof.t

And every other tm that every major company has out there. It's hard enough for them to keep control of them in the allowed exts this would make it impossible. Could you imagine if google allow these names to be index what the search results would look like?

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Guys quit wasting your time with this, there are better, more profitable ways to invest your time. Read my previous post in this thread which explains why.

Mark my words. Something like this could never work without ICANN approval. As mentioned, they have a hard enough time managing the several TLDs that do exist today. This is an old idea that has been tried many times by many different no-name startups. It's not even worth your time.

P.S. - To the newbies who may not be familiar, this post was automatically pulled from a newsfeed. This wasn't neccessarily manually posted by DCG as a some significant new find that was discovered.

plato1

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am sure your points are valid but I think that we are in danger of refusing to accept that what "may or may not" happen will be totally out of ICANNs or anybody else's control. EG re domains names, already there are arguments left right and centre between countries and other interested parties. Some are already thinking/going their own way. This is fact.

The Internet was supposed to do a "free your mind" and all that the "influential" are doing is closing it back down again because certain organisations might not like it. The people that decide the future of the Internet are the consumers and they, by force of will, can now dictate the results.

I dont agree this is a wate of time. What is happening right now is forming the future. This is frontier country and I think we need to stay ahead of the game. 10/15 years ago nobody wanted a website - you would have been an idiot to pay $70 for sex.com. By dismissing new ideas / innovation like this we are doing the same thing again....and we will be the losers........:spider:

mulligan

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
TAC - DotWorlds Client

TAC Level: 3

Catergory: Data Miner

Description:
dotWorlds Client changes users’ DNS server setting and Local Area Network (LAN) settings, in order to automatically configure the proxy-server settings for users’ browser, and creates tracking cookies.

Removal:

Does not provide a functional uninstaller

Integration:

No issues raised

Distribution:

No issues raised

Behavior:

Performs automatic updating that is not possible to disable

Adds an auto-start feature that is not disclosed to the user and can not be disabled

Privacy:

Transmits usage statistics with the user's consent and includes, but is not limited to, information related to the software's usage, status, and/or information not related to the software such as personal information, and information related to third party software

Tracks the user’s surfing habits using anonymous information

Creates Tracking Cookies

http://www.lavasoftnews.com/ms/display_main.php?tac=DotWorlds Client

nuff said...

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It will fail 100%.

Very soon, another company will come out with a .usa, so which .usa's would yours resolve to? Company A or Company B?

And for those who downloaded the plugin, i would suggest removing it after playing around with it - plugins can do many thing like collecting info, etc. I guess that's where they will earn their money. :)

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It wont hurt to register a few names, like most people have said... Its not likely this will become anymore then it already is. The fact remains that noone really knows if this will succeed or if it will fail. Take what people say into consideration, but you can only use your best judgement when it comes to things like this.

Also, keep in mind that I did register most of the good ones, so even if the turn out is positive... well, your SOL. (joke)

Just remember not to waste too much time, as we all know its a slim slim chance.

alabama.realestate
alaska.realestate
arizona.realestate
arkansas.realestate
colorado.realestate
connecticut.realestate
delaware.realestate
georgia.realestate
hawaii.realestate
idaho.realestate
illinois.realestate
maryland.realestate
indiana.realestate
iowa.realestate
kansas.realestate
kentucky.realestate
louisiana.realestate
maine.realestate
massachusetts.realestate
michigan.realestate
minnesota.realestate
mississippi.realestate
missouri.realestate
montana.realestate
nebraska.realestate
nevada.realestate
newhampshire.realestate
newjersey.realestate
newmexico.realestate
northcarolina.realestate
northdakota.realestate
ohio.realestate
oklahoma.realestate
pennsylvania.realestate
rhodeisland.realestate
southcarolina.realestate
southdakota.realestate
tennessee.realestate
texas.realestate
utah.realestate
vermont.realestate
virginia.realestate
washington.realestate
washingtondc.realestate
westvirginia.realestate
wisconsin.realestate
wyoming.realestate
baltimore.maryland
la.california
homes.realestate
job.directory
land.realestate
bottled.water
car.sale
custom.builders
free.tools
popup.blocker
american.baseball
american.hockey
canadian.hockey
cuban.baseball
canada.hockey
business.report
hot.chick
hot.topics
anti.spyware
computers.free
electronics.free
laptops.free
chili.peppers
fast.downloads
hard.rock
my.downloads
oldies.music
rap.music
software.downloads
stocks.business
yours.free

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Think about it! What is there to stop half the members on this forum setting up a similar service. You need a half decent server to host a web-site. Web site must be able download you a script and act as a referencing database. Browser pluggin in simply sends you automatically to host site, where searched domain is cross-referenced to IP. IP number is then sent to browser which uses it to resolve site.

There is absolutely nothing to stop hundred of companies doing this and using the same web addresses over and over again. The only thing that is holding everybody back is that there is no commercial mileage in it. It has been tried and shown not to work. If it did work for a while the number of new entrants would soon create choas. The market would never extend beyond blogsphere, as companies are too conservative. Come to think of it, even bloggers are too savy for this!

italiandragon

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hey Dave, why don`t you do that in IDN.IDN so they will go even more happy :D

mikesherov

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
To those registering these names and providing arguments as to why it "could" work, I have a bridge in brooklyn I could sell you.

The email addresses associated with these "domain names" aren't email addresses in the normal sense, specifically because you have to use dotworld's software to send it. What makes an email address an email address is that anyone who uses the universally accepted protocol can send mail.

This same reason is why the domain names aren't domain names... they can't be reached just by doing the typical, universally accepted lookup.

These names require proprietary software. And the reason they CAN'T succeed has also been stated above... what if I decide to make a company that does the same thing? Whose .usa is the real one?

If you download dotworlds app, you'd get their "whatever.usa", and if you downloaded my app, you'd get my "whatever.usa". The reason addresses are addresses (in the physical world and internet) is that they specify one location... imagine giving different directions to the same house based on what car you drive... or worse, imagine winding up in the wrong place by traveling to the same address based on what car you drive.

It' not a lack of vision that I say this won't work... it's actually a pie in the sky hope and lack of seeing the technical setbacks that people say it will!

With that said, expect me to come out with my own registrar. What I'm gonna do is allow you to register all the taken .com's for a nominal fee of $.20, then all you have to do is download my proprietary, non-universally accepted software to view them. Imagine, you could own Sex.com for $.20!
And don't worry if you can't get the first or second sex.com, I'll just make another proprietary piece of software, and you can register sex.com then, except maybe the reg fee will $.30 then!

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
italiandragon said:
hey Dave, why don`t you do that in IDN.IDN so they will go even more happy :D

Because the Chinese Government have already effectively tried it and they are struggling to make a go of things, without being part of the World Wide Web. That is why I understand the inevitable logic behind the impending failure of this project. The worrying thing to me though is not whether the system works or not but the apparent security risks that it seems to present.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators