Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Got a $6K bid on sedo for a .me, need ur advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makis77

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
I recently got a $6K bid on sedo(now its at $6.5) for speedtest dot me and I want to ask you if you feel it worths more because I do.
With minimum development and no promotion I got $400 from adsense alone these last 12 months.

I m willing to sell it since I want to invest that money elsewhere but I feel it worths a bit more based on past keyword .me sales.
I got other offers in the recent past directly from the sedo marketplace since this domain has a website running so they didnt find me from there, highest was at $5K 2 months ago.

I'm also thinking to start an auction from $6.5 which is the current bid and see how it goes from there.

Your opinions are welcome.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if you don't ask for what you want....you will never get it.

:)

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'd push it to auction. You could do a lot with 6.5k.

barrysanders

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think the offer is a good price. It is not a premium like date.me or buy.me. How many other people might pay $6.5k if this transaction doesn't happen?

Makis77

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the answer(and pm's too).

i was thinking of an auction since I belive it really worths more and could be used like date.me or buy.me. I mean it may not be the same size but this keyword fits well with a .me and can be branded into a competitor of the .net :)

Makis77

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I did counter back and the guy that is responsible for the bids wrote me that he was told not to go higher than that so I know what their limit are.
I guess its either sell or auction :)

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you think it'll fetch higher on auction, go for it. I see a lot of 1 bid $XXXX go for their initial bid. However, it'll take you 7 days to roll that dice as opposed to money in your account the next day... :)

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Makis - You're lucky you've done well with this .ME domain and you're luckier than you know to have gotten such a high offer. Don't push your luck. Had I seen this thread earlier I would've told you to send it to auction on Sedo immediately (remember, the auction will end 7 days exactly (down to the minute) from the time the buyer made the last offer, and NOT 7 days after you send it to auction, many people don't realize this, think too long and later end up with a one or two-day auction, considerably less exposure. Send it NOW

And that the guy even responded with a higher offer was great (he could've sensed you were being greedy and walked away), that was risky what you did. I've been there, I got greedy after having a superb offer in my hands and threw it all away by countering higher, the buyer got mad and left. My thinking was there was more money where that came from, I still remember that stupid move and no one will offer me that $ again for such lousy name (he already offered $6,500 after the initial offer of $6,000, now all you have to do in send it to auction !) You're a lucky guy indeed in more than one aspect in this deal, the risks you took were big IMO (it's a .ME after all, think about it) ...Good luck anyway

Last edited:

Makis77

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Angle69 I understand what you r trying to say, I ve been there once before too.

Thing is that this domain had a nice value for me from the beginning thats why I spent several hours developing the speed test flash application that you see on the website.
This same website gives me $400 per yr only with adsense and if one of you ever worked with affiliates can understand he can make more if he is an enduser or wants to target the affiliate market.

At the moment I'm doing just fine in another niche so I just left the website as is.
I never planned to sell the domain alone since I'm already making some money out of it without updating it or promoting it.

ps: He counter offered $6.5K and I didnt accept it yet neither I replied back.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I would not give Sedo a dollar of commission. If they are indeed interested, they will email you directly in which case use Escrow.com and have them pay the fees.

Makis77

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Theo I dont have their contact address.
I believe that they found me through sedo itself since they didnt visit my website because they would see its "developed".

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
At $400 per year, it will take you 16 years to make $6500. Unless you find a way to make more income off the site.

Speedtest looks to be registered in most all top extensions. I don't know much about the speedtest market, so no advice there.

You could take that $6500, invest in the stock market, or buy a better domain (maybe even an LLL.com or a couple good NNNN.com) that will hold their value.

It is a good offer unless you don't need the money, or have some attachment to the domain/site, or think it will increase in value for some reason. But getting that 16x revenue all up front now would be pretty nice!

Makis77

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
$old!
Buyer is probably ookla.com No1 developer for speedtests and owner of speedtest.net ;)

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just saw this thread. Congratulations on the sale! Is the website you had designed still up somewhere? I'd be curious to look at it.

Have to agree with other people here that the offer probably should have been pushed to auction or accepted early on, but I understand your reluctance to let it go if it was a project you'd personally invested time in. It's a good price for the domain, and I'm glad it didn't fall through for you. Cheers!

Makis77

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUZvsQ0vX7A

I entered that niche with my older project: adslspeed.com which will be active again after that sale.
Revenue and traffic back then was too good to be true so when .me went live I thought I'd buy speedtest.me if it was available.

So I did :) I've developed a custom speedtest application and created a simple landing page, I didnt care to develop it further since I have too many sites running atm and I couldnt support a real website on SpeedTest.me.

I m happy about the offer but I certainly I didnt feel like "taking the money and run" ;)

Just saw this thread. Congratulations on the sale! Is the website you had designed still up somewhere? I'd be curious to look at it.

Have to agree with other people here that the offer probably should have been pushed to auction or accepted early on, but I understand your reluctance to let it go if it was a project you'd personally invested time in. It's a good price for the domain, and I'm glad it didn't fall through for you. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators