Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Got me confused...

redfrog

Level 1
Reaction score
I am transferring a domain name from one domain host to another. It's a .xyz name. The price for the first year where I am transferring to is advertise for all .xyz names, $4.99. It's $11 a year thereafter. When I went to pay for the name at the new domain host, the charge was $11, instead of $4.99.
I brought up their chat help and was told this:

"These are the estimated payment fee which can be charged by your credit card issuer or the payment processor. If your credit card issuer does not charge the fee you can proceed with the payment and the amount will be credited to your account."

Huh?? I've been a longtime customer of this particular domain host and have never had a problem. If a domain was advertised at $10, that's what I was charged.

A credit card fee? I asked them to explain why I have always bought domains with them and the price advertised was the price. Never answered me back in the chat...waited, and then they disconnected.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You are not registering the name...you are transferring it.
The $4.99 cost is almost always for new registrations only.

Been there many times. I will sometimes take advantage of a promotional registration rate that a registrar is offering.
When it is time to renew I will transfer it to my preferred registrar. And even though the preferred registrar I am transferring to is offering a cheap price on the registration of the extension I am transferring it is still the regular price as I am transferring not registering.

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What jaydub said.. But it is curious that chat chose to tell you its a cc fee. Just goes to show how little they know.

redfrog

Level 1
Reaction score
Yeah, this is my first time transferring a domain name. Your right, the $4.99 is for a new domain, not a transferred domain. I only found this out by actually contacting the domain host by email. The person running the chat must have been new. Thanks for the help folks.

redfrog

Level 1
Reaction score
Well, now for the latest. I went to complete the transfer (paying the $11) and the domain host I'm transferring to said there is an "error" in the "auth code". So I contact the domain host that currently has the domain and the lady in the chat said, yes, there is an error and she will escalate the problem to be solved within 24 hours. She assured me that even though my year is up today, I wont lose the domain name. Is this normal? I checked with the host I am transferring to and he said sometimes the auth code expires, and the host the domain is with now will issue me a new one.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some registrars will but many won’t give you an Auth code once the domain has reached it’s expiry date.
You haven’t lost the name... you can still renew it with the existing registrar usually for 30 days after expiry, they just don’t issue an Auth code after the expiry date. This is not unusual, so you will have to see what your existing registrar does.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators