• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

For Sale Has anyone used DNSnap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TooMuch2AM

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2003
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
This is a novel idea:

http://www.dnsnap.com/

But does it work? Has anyone 'snapped' a domain using this tool?

How does it work? How can this program running on one PC compete with the likes of SnapNames?

Thanks in advance!
Mike
 
You could probably make a little money chasing domains and catching some of the lower end ones. Charge $15 or whatever per catch and you would make a decent little profit.
 
It's a new program. I have tested on enom's testing enviroment with checking speed of over 2,000+ domain names per minute. It was tested under only a P3 Machine with 256MB RAM. With a faster machine, I have no doubt it can check faster.

Problem is, you need to find a registrar that will allow you to check that fast.


At eNom, on live account, you can only check 2-3 domains per second (120-180 domains per minute). So I think DNSnap will have trouble competing for the best of the domain names, but IT is certainly better than checking it manually. And who knows, you might get lucky!
 
gariben - so you wrote this? If you only support Enom, and Enom live account will only allow 2-3 checks per second then why does it say 2000 per minute when no one would ever be allowed to run it that fast? It's great that you can run it that fast in a test environment but you are marketing that number and anyone looking to purchase it is going to think they can run it that fast live. I still think it's a really nice product and I will probably buy it myself once you add another registrar on there.

Jason
 
I put it on the bottom that you should run it at 2-3 checks per minute. I placed that information several times in website including the forum.

I'm contacting other registrars now to see if I can use their resources. Most likely i'll get something back from them. But I would assume that it won't be free.

Anyways, when I find out, i'll post it in dnsnap's forum, http://www.dnsnap.com/forum/
 
I am currently using DNSnap and its a really good tool. I'm working out some bugs on my side (getting in-sync with eNom with the Reseller API) but all is good. I haven't registered all my IP addresses for the reseller account, so I missed out on BushSucks.net today. It said it that I purchased it, but there was an error because eNom didn't have the correct IP address in their files. Oh well ... but it does work and works well. It might not get those big namers (i tried bushsucks.com, mont.com today to name a few) but it does its job.

And its only like $40, which is a steal for a backup way of getting names if the Snap is taken and NW bids are too high or if you just want to make sure you get the name if you already own the snap and high NW bid.

Those are my two cents ...
 
these bugs you are talking about..have they been updated on the software available now or only you have fixed those by yourself? also have you gotten any names so far that you can perhaps share it with us so we may get a rough idea of its success? thanks
 
The bugs aren't in the program, rather in myself ;) I just wasn't setup correctly at eNom with my reseller account .. so far, no problems at all. The last name I would have successfully caught was BUSHSUCKS.NET, but since my IP wasn't updated at eNom it went to someone else.
 
looking at the screenshot it seems there is no place to put the ip address of the live enom server?
 
Please forward all the questions to me at [email protected] or post your questions to the forum or alternatively you can use MSN Messenger to ask any questions. "[email protected]"

http://www.dnsnap.com/forum/

To get your ip, click on http://www.dnsnap.com/ip.php and then Login in to eNom, click on Help. Then click on eNom Support Center and finally clicking on "Request Help" Write to them that you want the ip address included in your reseller account.

thanks
 
Garibean,

So have YOU actually gotten names with this tool? I know the top of the line names aren't really gonna work for this but have you caught some lesser names that still had small bids etc?
 
I am also using ExpireFish which uses Enom. And, I would assume they have worked out a better checking rate with Enom.

Additionally, Enom computer crashed a couple months ago when someome continuously kept checking names. So, they put a limit on the amount of names you can submit thru the site. And, if you noticed, they have reduced the watchlist from being potentially a long list down to pages of 25 names. To reduce the pressure on the computer system.

So, will they block this service in the future?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom