Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024
Status
Not open for further replies.

italiandragon

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hola,

I`m sorry but y no habla espanol.

I`m trying to understand if the spanish domains has changed lately with those special characters:

á, é, Ã*, ñ, ó, ú and ü

I wonder for example if espana.com would be not worth anymore as much as before and the most valuable would be españa.com ?

Same for all other main words....how do you write "noticias" ?

And I`d really appreciate if anyone would point me to a list of Spanish top generic names.

Also If the special characters are now required, I`d love to know where to check the spanish grammar.

Thank you :)

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can get España.com - I tried with a few domains that required the ñ but couldn't get it (I tried with two registrars). I think it has to be a cc.tld (.es?).
This could be interesting if someone needs to register something like venteyunoaños.com (21 years, but venteyunoanos.com means 21 anuses...).:eek:

IMO - there will be a market for the 26-characterized domains, it may not be as big as España.es, but espana.com would get a lot of English (USA, UK, Australia etc..) traffic which right now is still the largest dempgraphic.

IMO - there is (or will be very soon) demand for spanish.com domains as that demographic grows, especially in the US (go to Miami (Hialeah more specifically) if you don't believe me. ;)

Mediamarket

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello,

España.com is already registered - For international characters they are registered using the puny code equivalent, in this case it would be xn--espaa-rta.com. If you try to put them in with accents or ñ then they won't be recognized.

I think it will be some time before we see mass use of the latin characters but I am a believer that spanish names will be hot in the future - sure don't seem to be know though and especially not IDNs.

Cheers

Mediamarket

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What I meant was that the characters aren't recognized when you try to register them at your registrar but when you put them in your browser they convert to the punycode and so there are many names out there using them.

The ones I have get very little to no traffic even for good names.

Cheers

mibworld

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Most spanish people are used to type url's with the 26 characters of english alphabet, so they would most likely type espana.com than españa.com. Also, there are many spanish speakers in countries like usa where they don't have (easy) access to keyboards with ñ and accents. I don't see a strong demand for IDN for spanish words, but of course it could change in the future.

therunner

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree with you mibworld, some of the Spanish speaker don’t have the idea to use and change the English keyboard. The right thing could be to spell and write the right Spanish word and register it but the big problem you could face is this: the email; it is not the same when we memorize an email address with regular characters than puny code; for example [email protected] is much easier than [email protected]. Imagine to spell and say to a no Spanish customer this address:?: With the time, this will be fixed, but time and business are money :eek:k:

HomerJ

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
2-3 years on from this discussion, has anything changed, or are things the same? I would expect there to be more access to the keyboards with special characters now (i know there are in other languages). Are most Spanish speakers using keyboards with spanish characters now, or still typing in the standard western alphabet?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom