Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld How Are You Doing In .ca's In 2014?

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How is everyone doing with their .ca sales and enquiries so far in 2014?

Been fairly slow for me since the new gtld's started rolling out, don't know if there is a correlation or not, but many potential buyers don't want to pay much and imo would go for a new gtld at a decent reg fee. But I'm not seeing a lot of end user use of gtld's either. March to June were pretty slow, but things have been picking up in July.

What kind of year is everyone else having?

With all the new gtlds that will be out, it makes me wonder how scarce (or not) domains will be in the future. Will people really pay a premium for a .com or cctld in the future? The sales reports are still good but you have to wonder.

rmacdon

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Definitely feeling quiet. I think many sellers remain hopeful but between new gtlds and Facebook etc very saturated. I also that that IDNs seem to have completely died. Domaining has been good to me though and writing down inventory is okay with me - possibly develop a few names send the odd offer but sellers haven't come down yet.

ianccc

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
been slow for me, haven't sold anything significant since July, I don't think it is the Gtld's causing the issue, I figure it is
that the big .ca sales go un-published, so until the big guys are done shopping don't expect .ca to go mainstream, we need a blockbuster sale 1m+ and
a front page story to get mom-pop business waking up,

ALSO: Cira has 8,000 domains dropping a week, time for them to spend some of that "marketing budget"

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I thought good domains in general would be much more in demand in 2014 than they seem to be. Most people still wanting to buy a good domain for <$200. Many getting by with social network pages and accounts, not needing their own domain for a website. I wonder if there will ever be that big wave of people needing domains, or it will just continue as is, status quo.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I sold more domains in the spring than ever before. Once the hype for the new tlds dropped down it cooled down. So far july has been spotty and june was bleah!

I think a lot of investors looked at the new domains and then opted to buy something established.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Igal (MrsJello) summed it up well in an interview and the same holds true for ccTld's w/in their own country IMO.

These new domains will cause confusion and bring back value to the likes of .com...Toll free numbers work like domains in some respect. When there was a need to expand from 800, to whatever it was 888 ? The price went down 30%, when the next number 877 or something came it lowered the prices again. But when the next one came out all the prices went back up for the original because there was too much confusion. 800 is 800 and .com is .com, people will revert back to what they really know.

Candomain

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
sold a few .ca for a xxxx each.
More inquiries this year but I think investors have to reach out to end users rather than waiting for an email. I think Adam Dicker mentioned in one of the sherpa vids that 90%+ sales are from him reaching out to end users.
Another article I read mentioned that most deals close between 5-9 contacts. How many of us contact someone even 2 times.
Time to roll up the sleeves, contact end users and educate them why .com and cctld actually make sense for business use.

as for idn's. They still bring in lots of natural traffic. Chinese idn.com and Russian idn.com bring in the most. Arabic idn.coms are not far behind.

You know what they say, when everyone is selling you should be buying.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great to hear others are having success in 2014! My experience is its been a slow year, especially the March to June period, but July has started picking up. The domain sales reports still seem to show good numbers from DNJournal. I guess it is either hot or cold with domains, and you never know what's coming tomorrow. I'm still not convinced one way or another how the new gtlds will play out, especially when the better extensions like .web get released.

mmose

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How's everyone doing for 2nd half of 2014. Not much movement for us - thinking of reaching out to the potential buyers Spring of 2015. Any thoughts?

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Still status quo for me, offers come in but most in xx or xxx range. There are now lots of new gtlds for buyers to choose from, but the best keyword new gtld combinations get taken fast and have high aftermarket prices (similar to good .com's and .ca's), or are registry reserved or have a high annual renewal fee. I don't know if new gtlds are really giving the general public domain buyers more options, because the good ones are still hard to get and costly. We'll see more as the year plays out.

Dr. Anthony

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I sold a 5L .ca name. Can't discuss the name, but sold for mid-high x,xxx
purchased it as a drop 1.5 years ago for $35. :) This sale was my biggest .ca thus far.

Used that money and bought 2 premium .ca names to hold until the perfect offer comes along.

Candomain

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
April saw 3 offers in the low xxxx range for a CCC.ca and 2 product names.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom