Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

How is the Santa Clara Traffic conference going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JuniperPark said:
Some of you are totally missing the 'address bar' issue, so I'll restate it:

Microsoft would offer free high speed wireless internet (not dial-up!), and it would fire up a browser initially without an address bar, just links to what they want to send you. Remember, nearly all computers today are sold with wireless installed, so you would connect OUT OF THE BOX, the VERY FIRST TIME, on FIRST bootup, nothing to do at all. That's far different from having to dial up an ISP or SMS where you have to buy a phone.

Benefit to MS: All of the PPC revenue for these users would go into MS's pockets, there are no typo's or easy way to navigate out. MS already has 1) the cash to do this and 2) already embarrassed that MSN search is terrible and needs a home run to beat Google.

--------

Now - the other possibility is Google could do this, but they would have to launch their own browser, which launches only to Google.com of course. They have a lot of cash and are known to have separate teams ALREADY WORKING ON THIS for the nay-sayers. They really want to push Google Local, and this would do it because the wifi broadcast can certainly give absolute location data, so this makes sense.

-----

Benefit to users: Savings of $300 - $1,000 year in ISP costs, no ISP subscription hassles, possibly faster than existing setup. People will go for this IN DROVES.
No amount of money will provide the bandwidth required to offer fast, free wireless internet access to the entire populace. Anyone with an engineering background will tell you it just isn't possible - there isn't enough spectrum. Terrestrial delivery will beat wireless hands down every time, by a factor of 100:1. Current wifi works because it's short range, and is backed up by terrestrial networks. Unless Google is going to install a WAP in every second house and back it up with a cabled network, it isn't going to happen.

sasquatch said:
Yes but your Google bar by far and large even today is surrounded with tons of other search results, adlinks etc. That's an awful lot of temptation to get "lost". Especially when numbers of potentialy lost souls is measured in gazzilions, where even the fraction of that gazzilion is huge for "them".
But most people already use Google as their homepage, so the temptation is already there when they type "www.ebaumsworld.com" in their address bar...

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JuniperPark said:
Some of you are totally missing the 'address bar' issue, so I'll restate it:

Microsoft would offer free high speed wireless internet (not dial-up!), and it would fire up a browser initially without an address bar, just links to what they want to send you. Remember, nearly all computers today are sold with wireless installed, so you would connect OUT OF THE BOX, the VERY FIRST TIME, on FIRST bootup, nothing to do at all. That's far different from having to dial up an ISP or SMS where you have to buy a phone.

Benefit to MS: All of the PPC revenue for these users would go into MS's pockets, there are no typo's or easy way to navigate out. MS already has 1) the cash to do this and 2) already embarrassed that MSN search is terrible and needs a home run to beat Google.

--------

Now - the other possibility is Google could do this, but they would have to launch their own browser, which launches only to Google.com of course. They have a lot of cash and are known to have separate teams ALREADY WORKING ON THIS for the nay-sayers. They really want to push Google Local, and this would do it because the wifi broadcast can certainly give absolute location data, so this makes sense.

-----

Benefit to users: Savings of $300 - $1,000 year in ISP costs, no ISP subscription hassles, possibly faster than existing setup. People will go for this IN DROVES.

a) last time I checked wireless penetrarion in US and EMEA runs above 75% of population i.e. fully mature market - so your point about convenience out of the box w/out having to buy a phone is funny to say the least

b) nobody misses your point -- several responded why we don't believe it would work

c) If MSN where to implement your "strategy" to counter their embarassment for being #3 then Microsoft is indeed in a very serious trouble

I will also challenge you to provide me a link or reference to ANY walled garden approach that ever took off en mass and is as disruptive as your scenario

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JuniperPark said:
Microsoft would offer free high speed wireless internet (not dial-up!), and it would fire up a browser initially without an address bar, just links to what they want to send you.

Even China doesn't have such restricted surfing rules. It's like saying yes you have "free" internet, but you can only surf your own backyard. Who in their mind would want such a ridiculous service?

I have a 125MBPS cable connection that gives me unlimited broadband access at a flat fee of one night out with the guys at the pub. And I buy a ton of stuff on the Internet.. maybe this service may attract a small bunch of curious onlookers at the start (if it ever starts), but as they say, once you've tasted wine...

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I keep thinking of a scenario where I want to check my bank balance online, but I can't because "Free Internet Co" only takes me to winfreestuffforlikefreeandstuff.com

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Beachie said:
I keep thinking of a scenario where I want to check my bank balance online, but I can't because "Free Internet Co" only takes me to winfreestuffforlikefreeandstuff.com

why don't you check with your sea monkeys? :cheesy:

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Now one think I forgot to add where I disagree with Beachie is the ability to do National US broadband deployment.... working for a Tier-1 Telco myself I can tell you that several cities in the next 2 years will be going fully broadband via WiMax...

There's also something known as Wireless Mesh networks and that allows you to blend & roam between WLAN/WiMax and traditional WiFi or Cellular networks... HSDPA just launced by Cingular is being let down by the fact you use Cat 10 devices with max bandwidth 1.5MBps (in reality I get 812Kb/s downlink).

HSUPA/HSOPA including CDMA RevA (DoRA) will offer TRUE wireless broadband touching >16Mbps..

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
smarouli said:
HSDPA just launced by Cingular is being let down by the fact you use Cat 10 devices with max bandwidth 1.5MBps (in reality I get 812Kb/s downlink).

HSUPA/HSOPA including CDMA RevA (DoRA) will offer TRUE wireless broadband touching >16Mbps..

say what?

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
smarouli said:
Now one think I forgot to add where I disagree with Beachie is the ability to do National US broadband deployment.... working for a Tier-1 Telco myself I can tell you that several cities in the next 2 years will be going fully broadband via WiMax...

There's also something known as Wireless Mesh networks and that allows you to blend & roam between WLAN/WiMax and traditional WiFi or Cellular networks... HSDPA just launced by Cingular is being let down by the fact you use Cat 10 devices with max bandwidth 1.5MBps (in reality I get 812Kb/s downlink).

The problem is it's shared bandwidth. I have a wireless card that gives me 1Mbit via 3G - it's fine right now while I'm the only person who has one, but when 800,000 people in my city want to play Counter-Strike when they get home from school it ain't gonna look so pretty. Please don't make me do the maths on why 800 Gigabit wireless isn't possible... And why would I want 1Mbit at home when I can have 100Mbit via terrestrial for next-to-nothing, and have the convenience of my own personal Wifi to let me roam around the house. Wireless is a convenience when I'm on the road, but it's not ideal.

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Beachie said:
The problem is it's shared bandwidth. I have a wireless card that gives me 1Mbit via 3G - it's fine right now while I'm the only person who has one, but when 800,000 people in my city want to play Counter-Strike when they get home from school it ain't gonna look so pretty. Please don't make me pull the maths on why 800 Gigabit wireless isn't possible... And why would I want 1Mbit at home, when I can have 100Mbit via terrestrial for next-to-nothing. Wireless is a convenience when I'm on the road, not because it's ideal.

lol ... I hope your maths won't include dividing theoritical bandwidth by number of subs... and who talked about 800Gbps...

what you refer as 3G is commonly known as EVDO (CDMA world) or UMTS/HSDPA (GSM world)... if you get 1MBps right now I'll take my hat and eat it..seing you're in Australia I'd like to assume you're a Telstra sub and you're referring to their CDMA/EVDO network which FYI will be replacing with HSDPA soon..

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
smarouli said:
lol ... I hope your maths won't include dividing theoritical bandwidth by number of subs... and who talked about 800Gbps...

what you refer as 3G is commonly known as EVDO (CDMA world) or UMTS/HSDPA (GSM world)... if you get 1MBps right now I'll take my hat and eat it..seing you're in Australia I'd like to assume you're a Telstra sub and you're referring to their CDMA/EVDO network which FYI will be replacing with HSDPA soon..
I talked about 800Gbps. However you want to cut it, you can't supply an entire population with more wireless bandwidth than you can with terrestrial.

And you'd better start eating your hat, because guess what I'm doing right now - although I'm not getting a full 1Mbps, which is exactly my point..

http://www.chilli.net.au/wireless-broadband.htm

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Beachie said:
And you'd better start eating your hat..

You from Texas, smarouli? :-D

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dallas, TX is an interim location ;) but yes.. hopefully not for much longer moving to SunnyVale, CA next 2 months...but to your point not affiliated w/Cowboy culture yet LOL

Beachie - I would eat my hat if you were getting 1MBps I get 821Kbps... In the lab we get 16MBps ;) I was referring to commercial.. As for the entire population yes you can not 5.5bn but definately a highy % of urban areas...

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
smarouli said:
Dallas, TX is an interim location ;) but yes.. hopefully not for much longer moving to SunnyVale, CA next 2 months...but to your point not affiliated w/Cowboy culture yet LOL

Beachie - I would eat my hat if you were getting 1MBps I get 821Kbps... In the lab we get 16MBps ;) I was referring to commercial.. As for the entire population yes you can not 5.5bn but definately a highy % of urban areas...
Darn, I was looking forward to seeing the photos of your hat. I think Chilli use TDMA, so not strictly 3G, although I think "Three" offer similar speeds.. :)

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
And how was Santa Clara? :)

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Steen said:
And how was Santa Clara? :)

It was a half a million worth of analysts and thats just what domainers paid. I wasn't even there and I can tell you that. Do the math and then wonder.

Gabriel

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just a quick message to remember the audience that 10 years ago users were forced to type "http://www.domain.com" in the address bar.
After some years it was not necessary the "http://", only "www.domain.com".
Today we know that a well configured domain name doesn't need to type the "www.", only "domain.com".
I am afraid that soon the users will only need to type "domain" as I make sometimes by mistake.
Remember also that some years ago appeared the "keywords" by Realnames.com, offered by some registrars as Enom.com and others, but Bill Gates thought "...No, that's a really good and billionaire idea.", then stopped supporting the "keywords" offered by Realnames.com, that were only working with IE.
Just image how easy it would be popularized to type only "domain" instead of "domain.com". Who of you type "www.domain.com" yet?
Comments?
--
Gabriel P.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
People dont want what the advertiser pays for. They want the best price. It's the reason why netsol and register's registrations are dropping like flies on horse shiznit.

AOL does the keyword whatchamacallit but there are only so many keywords. What happens when the keywords are gone? It wont take long for everyone to decide limits don't fly.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow, this is the sci-fi area of domaining...

I think what will really happen will fall somewhere in between the 2 main points of view in this thread.

Will domains drop off the face of the planet in 1 year, 2 years, 5 years, probably not.

However, it makes sense that much of the general public will get weened onto Google, MSN and Yahoo for pretty much everything they want online (because this brings in billions more for these public companies). I think eventually type-in traffic will start to decrease, as more and more people (who dont know better) are more or less forced into using search engines by the big corporations.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
gpinchev said:
Just a quick message to remember the audience that 10 years ago users were forced to type "http://www.domain.com" in the address bar.
After some years it was not necessary the "http://", only "www.domain.com".
Today we know that a well configured domain name doesn't need to type the "www.", only "domain.com".
I am afraid that soon the users will only need to type "domain" as I make sometimes by mistake.
Remember also that some years ago appeared the "keywords" by Realnames.com, offered by some registrars as Enom.com and others, but Bill Gates thought "...No, that's a really good and billionaire idea.", then stopped supporting the "keywords" offered by Realnames.com, that were only working with IE.
Just image how easy it would be popularized to type only "domain" instead of "domain.com". Who of you type "www.domain.com" yet?
Comments?
--
Gabriel P.
Excellent point. My take is the future will be focused on the keyword rather than the extension. Contents reign as King will be acknowledged with the pure ad based ppc pages going poof. The search bar will replace the address bar. Major TM or Popular site Typos will mostly be eliminated as an error and a "did you mean" message will offer the real destination. PPC will go almost exclusively to PPR. ccTLDs (like .US) will take a big bite out of .com as geographical consumer targeting evolves. US metro areas will all provide free WIFI (were most of the Net revenue originates from anyway) and advertising revenue will (via all media types) be Local (location) focused to bring in the majority of the industry Ad budget from the 60% of American small biz that is yet to participate in any significant way.

DomainTurn.com

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yep,

It is really common sense.

The google's and msn's of the world will try and exploit there services and

an apple or other massive business worthy of quick and speedy take down

will rise and defeat these companies at there own game. Believe me there

are other bill gates and they just need the door to open a little. Domain

names divide the internet between states and countries and bring a complete

access to weather, news, sports, gambling ,banking, etc... With one address

bar to control this is like saying you have to buy this yellow car. The yellow

paint is the only color that we make so if you want to drive then yellow is

your color. It sound's stupid right. That is what your saying. I can promise

this there will be changes The one's you'll see will come from the one's

you can't see. Architectural design's. The buliding of dream searches.

"voice search" say dnforum.com and im there. or bank.com and im there

no longer wondering through google's ppc field or msn's ppc field of fraud

clickster's. and the branding of a domain name will become the way to wealth

From the start they told you the short memorable names have the value.

and bogue typo's will become worthless. Brandabilty is the only way to say

in the game. wonder if there be spell check with voice search ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom