Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

How long until .ch domain dropps?

K.Meier

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a company domain which is a .ch domain (Switzerland). 3 days before it expired (25.April), I transferred it from Moniker.com to GoDaddy.com, unfortunately something went wrong and by the time it arrived at GoDaddy, I had only a few hours left to renew the domain but I missed the deadline, so the domain expired.

I was told by GoDaddy support that there is no way to get the domain bacl, because there is no redemption nor grace period for .ch domains, and they can't even get the domain back. All I have to do is wait until the domain dropps so that I can re-register it.

I remember I let a .ch domain expire once, and it took only a few days until someone else re-registered it (about a week I think). Now with my company domain, its been 3 weeks already and it still is not available, nor can it be registered.

Anyone familiar with the drop duration for .ch domains?

akropolis

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi
Til the end of 2014, there was 14 days drop time.
Now, it is about 40 days.
If you tell me the name, i can try to catch it..

K.Meier

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer. Oh this is such a pain, especially because it's a company domain, that is only used for emails (website is offline for years).
It's not a popular domain name, plus it has zero backlinks and PR of 0, so I doubt that anyone else would try to catch the domain upon drop. I will try to register it with GoDaddy as soon as it drops.

Ahh.... what a pain!

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I think Moniker is just a reseller for Key systems when it comes to ccTLDs...
On the other hand Nodaddy is an accredited registar for .ch domains: https://www.nic.ch/reg/en/cm/partner-list/index

First step: check the whois record for your domain name:
https://www.nic.ch/reg/en/ds03/whois/index

Make sure that Nodaddy is indeed the current registrar. Then I advise you to contact the registry to sort this out.
In general, .ch domains, like .de or .at domains, are automatically renewed and invoiced to the billing contact, as long you don't request an end to the registration.

Is there a period of notice?

There is a 30-day period of notice for domain names. A request to delete a domain name must be made 30 days prior to the end of its subscription period at the latest, otherwise the next subscription period will be invoiced and this amount will be due even if the domain name is subsequently deleted. It is the date on which the deletion request is submitted that is decisive.

Deleting a domain in the course of a subscription period does not entitle you to any form of refund.
https://www.nic.ch/reg/cm/wcm-page/faqs/accounting.jsp#termination

If you let the domain drop, there is a real risk that it will be snapped by somebody or something.
Don't take a chance.

PS: Don't use American registrars for ccTLDs. As you can see, they don't handle ccTLDs well and they just drop the ball anything goes wrong.

I think this is unacceptable and you shouldn't allow them to brush this off.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom