• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

how would you aquire a domain you want that is not for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdrianM

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2006
Messages
174
Reaction score
1
I am interested to aquire a domain for one of my business. Curent site on that domain is not making any revenue and I asume the owner would be interested to sell.

Should I just go and contact them myself or better to use a broker that can give more trust to the seller? If so anyone you recommend? I don't want to end up with a broker having the domain I want and knowing that I want it.

The domain is not worth more then 100$ by itself, but it would fit my plans
 
Just contact them directly through whois.
 
You're not likely to convince a seller to part with a name for $100 that he doesn't want to sell. For most people, a $100 sale wouldn't be worth the hassle, regardless of if they wanted it or not.

Offer what it's worth to you, not what you perceive the value to be. Offer direct via the admin email listed in whois. Don't just send a "I offer $XXX for whatever.whatever" type email. Send a detailed email introducing yourself, what your plans are for the name, along with a sensible offer.

No guarantees though, some people just won't sell, at pretty much any price – you just have to accept that sometimes.

Good Luck

- Rob
 
i won't offer 100$ of course

the idea is that if he wants to sell won't I end up at a broker service anyway? that's the reason I was thinking to use one from start

this domain makes no use to anyone else so I won't be afraid of an auction for it.
 
Keep it simple. Not everyone knows there's a domain industry out there let alone brokerage services for it. I personally would just do it as Leading Names mentioned. Simplicity is the new spice of life. Good luck!
 
If me and him agree what do you suggest as best way to do the transaction?
 
I concur with others here ... for a low-dollar domain, it's likely best to contact the owner yourself, and keep the purchase inquiry simple.

Personally, I'd suggest not mentioning much about what you plan to use it for unless you already know a lot about the owner's situation / personality - often best to downplay what future use one has in mind. Otherwise you run the risk of the owner seeking the moon for it.

If email doesn't go well, try talking voice with the owner - that alone often can make the difference.

If after all that, the owner won't budge, seeks the moon, etc ... then that's the time to consider getting a broker involved.

Ron

p.s. escrow.com is good, but if relatively low dollar domain it may add more hassle than anything ... so if you have some trust of the seller, just send the money first via PayPal, Western Union, Money Order, etc ... then have the owner transfer / push it to you when payment clears.
 
Personally, I'd suggest not mentioning much about what you plan to use it for unless you already know a lot about the owner's situation / personality - often best to downplay what future use one has in mind. Otherwise you run the risk of the owner seeking the moon for it.

Very good point you make I agree 100% It's like handing over your business plan to a stranger.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom