Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld HST/GST and Domain sales for Canadians

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Let's say you sold a domain for $30,000. Do you add HST to that price, or do you cover it yourself out of the proceeds?

Does it matter if you sell it to a Canadian or not. What if the sale takes place through Sedo, or totally within Canada through a Canadian registrar?

Just wondering if there are any clear answers on these kinds of situations for big money sales in Canada.

Domain summit 2024

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't have any clear answers but i know when deal with the former gst, it only had to be paid on sales to canadians.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Add GST or HST, according to the location of the buyer. If the buyer actually is outside of Canada and qualifies to own a registration, no HST or GST applies.

Do not trust Sedo - the fine print will say that you owe the HST or GST even if Sedo advises you that no HST or GST is payable. The key is the buyer and where the buyer is located; Sedo is not the buyer, only the middleman.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I think it doesn't matter right now, as Canada has no government currently :D

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It has not had a proper one for quite some time.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Another thing I've heard and want to check out - does HST/GST only apply if you are doing over $30,000 in business? meaning if your revenues are less, you don't need to do hst/gst?

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Another thing I've heard and want to check out - does HST/GST only apply if you are doing over $30,000 in business? meaning if your revenues are less, you don't need to do hst/gst?

That is sort of true. You have the option to not charge GST/HST on any sales or services until you reach the threshold of $30,000 in revenue. After $30,000, you are obligated to register and you have to charge GST/HST and collect it from any buyer in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators