Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Hubble's New View

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LtlPhysics

NASA Unveils Images From Hubble's Newest Camera

By Deborah Zabarenko
Reuters

WASHINGTON (April 30) - NASA unveiled images of a galactic tadpole, a pair of monster mice, a nursery for newborn stars and a giant pillar of dust on Tuesday in the first batch of pictures snapped by Hubble Space Telescope's newest camera.

All four detailed images of the distant universe were produced by the Advanced Camera for Surveys, which is operating superbly after its installation in March, according to the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.

As spectacular as the central subjects of the photographs are, the background is of critical importance to astronomers.

What appear as jewel-toned pinwheels, ovals and diamonds on the blackness of space are actually faraway galaxies. The sharpness of these images will allow scientists to study the furthest reaches of the universe.

''We are looking back across 90 percent of the age of the universe,'' Johns Hopkins University astronomer Holland Ford, the lead investigator on the project, said by telephone.

''We are seeing galaxies that we estimate formed within 1 billion years of the birth of the universe. What a happy surprise to see these galaxies stretching back almost to the beginning of time,'' Ford said.

Many scientists believe the universe began with a monstrous explosion, called the big bang, some 14 billion years ago.

Hubble, launched 12 years ago at a cost of about $2.2 billion, has looked back in time before, notably in a famous image known as the Hubble Deep Field, which was like a visual core sample of the universe made in 1995. But the advanced survey camera has extremely high resolution and is examining a patch of sky with twice the area of the Hubble field.

Ford said each of the images released has nearly 17 million pixels, compared to 5 million pixels it would have had if taken by a high-end consumer camera.

TURBO-CHARGED TELESCOPE

Looking at a tiny area of the sky -- the size of two grains of sand held at arm's length -- the new camera has captured astonishing views of galaxies with a 10-fold increase in efficiency over previous Hubble instruments.

''This is like putting a turbo-charger on it,'' Garth Illingworth, an astronomer on the project, told Reuters.

One image of a galaxy 420 million light-years away in the constellation Draco was dubbed ''The Tadpole'' because of its long streaky tail that stretched more than 280,000 light-years.

Its distorted shape was caused by a hit-and-run interloper:
a tiny blue galaxy that slammed through the larger galaxy and is now shown leaving the scene, NASA said.

A light-year is the distance light travels in a year, about 6 trillion miles (10 trillion km).

A couple of other long-tailed galaxies some 300 million light-years away appeared to be warily circling one another, so astronomers nicknamed them ''The Mice.'' More than celestial rodents, these two galaxies are destined to merge into one massive galaxy, NASA researchers said.

They may also foretell the eventual fate of the Milky Way galaxy, which contains Earth. Computer simulations indicate the Milky Way is likely to collide in several billion years with its nearest galactic neighbor, the Andromeda Galaxy.

The new camera also captured images of what looks a bit like a nightmare sea monster, rearing up out of red waves. In reality it was only a massive pillar of gas and dust known as the Cone Nebula, a relatively nearby feature at 2,500 light-years' distance.

A star nursery at the heart of the Omega Nebula, some 5,500 light-years away, was also displayed.

Reut13:01 04-30-02

Should this link not work the first time, just give it a few seconds and try it again. It goes straight to the new pix.

http://hubblesite.org/news_.and._views/pr.cgi.2002.11

Domain summit 2024

Originally posted by LtlPhysics
NASA Unveils Images From Hubble's Newest Camera

By Deborah Zabarenko
Reuters

WASHINGTON (April 30) - NASA unveiled images of a galactic tadpole, a pair of monster mice, a nursery for newborn stars and a giant pillar of dust on Tuesday in the first batch of pictures snapped by Hubble Space Telescope's newest camera.

All four detailed images of the distant universe were produced by the Advanced Camera for Surveys, which is operating superbly after its installation in March, according to the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.

As spectacular as the central subjects of the photographs are, the background is of critical importance to astronomers.

What appear as jewel-toned pinwheels, ovals and diamonds on the blackness of space are actually faraway galaxies. The sharpness of these images will allow scientists to study the furthest reaches of the universe.

''We are looking back across 90 percent of the age of the universe,'' Johns Hopkins University astronomer Holland Ford, the lead investigator on the project, said by telephone.

''We are seeing galaxies that we estimate formed within 1 billion years of the birth of the universe. What a happy surprise to see these galaxies stretching back almost to the beginning of time,'' Ford said.

Many scientists believe the universe began with a monstrous explosion, called the big bang, some 14 billion years ago.

Hubble, launched 12 years ago at a cost of about $2.2 billion, has looked back in time before, notably in a famous image known as the Hubble Deep Field, which was like a visual core sample of the universe made in 1995. But the advanced survey camera has extremely high resolution and is examining a patch of sky with twice the area of the Hubble field.

Ford said each of the images released has nearly 17 million pixels, compared to 5 million pixels it would have had if taken by a high-end consumer camera.

TURBO-CHARGED TELESCOPE

Looking at a tiny area of the sky -- the size of two grains of sand held at arm's length -- the new camera has captured astonishing views of galaxies with a 10-fold increase in efficiency over previous Hubble instruments.

''This is like putting a turbo-charger on it,'' Garth Illingworth, an astronomer on the project, told Reuters.

One image of a galaxy 420 million light-years away in the constellation Draco was dubbed ''The Tadpole'' because of its long streaky tail that stretched more than 280,000 light-years.

Its distorted shape was caused by a hit-and-run interloper:
a tiny blue galaxy that slammed through the larger galaxy and is now shown leaving the scene, NASA said.

A light-year is the distance light travels in a year, about 6 trillion miles (10 trillion km).

A couple of other long-tailed galaxies some 300 million light-years away appeared to be warily circling one another, so astronomers nicknamed them ''The Mice.'' More than celestial rodents, these two galaxies are destined to merge into one massive galaxy, NASA researchers said.

They may also foretell the eventual fate of the Milky Way galaxy, which contains Earth. Computer simulations indicate the Milky Way is likely to collide in several billion years with its nearest galactic neighbor, the Andromeda Galaxy.

The new camera also captured images of what looks a bit like a nightmare sea monster, rearing up out of red waves. In reality it was only a massive pillar of gas and dust known as the Cone Nebula, a relatively nearby feature at 2,500 light-years' distance.

A star nursery at the heart of the Omega Nebula, some 5,500 light-years away, was also displayed.

Reut13:01 04-30-02

Should this link not work the first time, just give it a few seconds and try it again. It goes straight to the new pix.

http://hubblesite.org/news_.and._views/pr.cgi.2002.11

let's go to the moon LtlPhy! i'm ready..

L

LtlPhysics

Wow msMay, you quoted the entire article!

I'm ready too, but a trip to the moon, that's peanuts. Let's check out the observable Universe! All we need is a spacecraft capable of warp gig.

Warp factors are cubes, so warp 1 would be 1x1x1(c), the speed of light, warp 2 would be 2x2x2(c), 8c, eight times the sol, warp 3 would be 3x3x3, 27c, 27 times the sol, and so on, 4 to the third, 5 to the third, etc.

Warpgig would be a billionxbillionxbillion or 1,000,000,000 x 1,000,000,000 x 1,000,000,000(c) which is off the wall fast. There's no way that we could check out everything, that would take lifetimes, but if we want to leap from point to point we would need warp gig in our pocket.

I'll bet there are some people here who could calculate how long it would take for a constant thrust vehicle to reach just under light speed at an acceleration of 1g.

let's do it LtlPhy..
let's do it

I'LL GO

i'm packed N ready

yes sir

let'
s go

Wow msMay, you quoted the entire article!

I'm ready too, but a trip to the moon, that's peanuts. Let's check out the observable Universe! All we need is a spacecraft capable of warp gig.

Warp factors are cubes, so warp 1 would be 1x1x1(c), the speed of light, warp 2 would be 2x2x2(c), 8c, eight times the sol, warp 3 would be 3x3x3, 27c, 27 times the sol, and so on, 4 to the third, 5 to the third, etc.

Warpgig would be a billionxbillionxbillion or 1,000,000,000 x 1,000,000,000 x 1,000,000,000(c) which is off the wall fast. There's no way that we could check out everything, that would take lifetimes, but if we want to leap from point to point we would need warp gig in our pocket.

I'll bet there are some people here who could calculate how long it would take for a constant thrust vehicle to reach just under light speed at an acceleration of 1g.

you are soooooooooo SMART

i love it !

M

mike

(serious question)
If they reference distances in space by time i.e. light years, How do they reference time?

(serious question)
How fast do you have to go for time to stand still?

(tongue in cheek questions)
Finally, do you think any domain buyers will visit us from other planets? Can we e-mail them? Has ICANN approved a new TLD for them yet? Can I get on the waiting listor something?

Originally posted by mike
(serious question)
If they reference distances in space by time i.e. light years, How do they reference time?

(serious question)

Finally, do you think any domain buyers will visit us from other planets? Can we e-mail them? Has ICANN approved a new TLD for them yet? Can I get on the waiting listor something?

ltlphysics
has ALL THE ANSWERS

and i think this man i s
profound

gotta love ltlPyh
4srue
i do

L

LtlPhysics

Venusian, a member of dvdtalk.com has better images;

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=204040

I added the dialogue to it, to get an idea of the scope, how distant, how large, etc.

(serious question)

The speed of light and the speed of time are the same. That's why we're stuck here.

(serious question)

You have move at the speed of light for time to stand still. Photons do not experience time, they are timeless samples from the past.

The odds favor me selling coolhost.ws(tongue stuck in nose).

Venusian, a member of dvdtalk.com has better images;

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=204040

I added the dialogue to it, to get an idea of the scope, how distant, how large, etc.

(serious question)

The speed of light and the speed of time are the same. That's why we're stuck here.

(serious question)

You have move at the speed of light for time to stand still. Photons do not experience time, they are timeless samples from the past.

The odds favor me selling coolhost.ws(tongue stuck in nose).

let's go babe.. let' s go

L

LtlPhysics

We need a vehicle first, babe.

capt.1020184416.hubbles_new_view_wx104.jpg

capt.1020184280.hubbles_new_view_wx103.jpg

capt.1020184233.hubbles_new_view_wx102.jpg

capt.1020184115.hubbles_new_view_wx101.jpg

capt.1019693221.age_of_the_universe_la114.jpg

1019679410.2214592536.jpg

1019217709.4026925118.jpg

For whatever reason, I am not getting the collection of images, just the individual sources. At any rate, these pictures look great, but without the script you don't know what you're looking at.

We need a vehicle first, babe.

capt.1020184416.hubbles_new_view_wx104.jpg

capt.1020184280.hubbles_new_view_wx103.jpg

capt.1020184233.hubbles_new_view_wx102.jpg

capt.1020184115.hubbles_new_view_wx101.jpg

capt.1019693221.age_of_the_universe_la114.jpg

1019679410.2214592536.jpg

1019217709.4026925118.jpg

For whatever reason, I am not getting the collection of images, just the individual sources. At any rate, these pictures look great, but without the script you don't know what you're looking at.

I'll bet Cheetah would build the vehicle..

Where there's a will.. there's a way..

Go... the way of the WillN! "-)

you know more then just a 'lil' physics.. :)

L

LtlPhysics

Great, it works, just scroll down. I love that picture of the bass player and child.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators