Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

HUGE STORY ON DOMAINS - Business 2.0 on Kevin Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuccessClick

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't know who Kevin Ham is?

Biggest domainer in the world. The respected business magazine "BUSINESS 2.0" does an indepth interview of the elusive super-domainer.

Check out the preview version of the article by Jay Westerdal on the domaintools blog: http://blog.domaintools.com

Jay provides info and graphs for the article.

Again, Paul Sloan brings the domain power reality to the business community, and outs an unbelievable strategy (some might say devious) about making money with domains. A MUST READ FOR DOMAIN PROS.

In the long run, this just entices big business to look at our domains closer, and big money, big buyers, and investors will hopefully push our domain values upwards from demand. TIP: Keyword domains.

:cool:

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't know who Kevin Ham is?

Biggest domainer in the world. The respected business magazine "BUSINESS 2.0" does an indepth interview of the elusive super-domainer.

Check out the preview version of the article by Jay Westerdal on the domaintools blog: http://blog.domaintools.com

Jay provides info and graphs for the article.

Again, Paul Sloan brings the domain power reality to the business community, and outs an unbelievable strategy (some might say devious) about making money with domains. A MUST READ FOR DOMAIN PROS.

In the long run, this just entices big business to look at our domains closer, and big money, big buyers, and investors will hopefully push our domain values upwards from demand. TIP: Keyword domains.

:cool:
Stephen, it's right that the article will be read by many investors from outside the domain industry. But wouldn't you agree that the article is rather negative? It portraits domaining as a get-rich-quick scheme and talks in length about how one can make millions of dollars from typos. The CNBC On The Money clip is even more negative for the domain industry, talking about nothing but typosquatting.

Rarethings

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yun ye is finally revealed :)

(just kidding)

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Very good read, even if it is rather long ;)

I don't know what is more shocking, the fact that this is the person who owns God.com, or that he is behind .cm

CLB

Ladies Love Big Domainers
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Will this mean that thousands of newbies will jump into domaining?

Didn't that happen about a year and a half ago when Business 2.0 had a lengthy article about Rick?

tonyfloyd

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Didn't that happen about a year and a half ago when Business 2.0 had a lengthy article about Rick?

yeah..lol

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've read through part of the article due to time constraints, and have the rest to read, but what I read exposes some of the good in domains (generic word type ins) and some of the not so good (the Cameroon thing). As a domainer it seems pretty balanced that way, i don't know how it will come off to the average person. I do think it could spur a lot more newbies to get into domaining over the next few weeks/months, so it could make domain sales interesting. With stock markets up and real estate cooling, people need to diversify their recent profits, and the internet/technology is starting to look good again.

bensd

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

I cant wait for more of this in the appraisal section:

find-the-cheapest-loans-here.com

What do you think x,xxx xx,xxx ???

:lol:

GAMEFINEST

PURE SAVAGE
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
scary hitfarm. despite the .cm, they even wanna grab Colombia (.co), Oman (.om), Niger (.ne), and Ethiopia (.et) etc.
booking my flights to Africa now!

They can have them :asleep:

tonyfloyd

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I cant wait for more of this in the appraisal section:

find-the-cheapest-loans-here.com

What do you think x,xxx xx,xxx ???

:lol:

like u never asked those ?'s when u first started??...lol...:)

DomainBuyerBroker

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised by all the positive comments this article is getting.

If you ask me, I don't think Kevin Ham is a great poster boy for the domain industry.

He's an admitted domain taster, .cm squatter and typosquatter. Not that this is really anything wrong with any of those but it does get into the sleazy side of the business.

And, this makes the cover of the magazine.

NOT a great day in domain history if you ask me.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure domain tasting is all that bad, and it's perfectly legal, just a loophole in the system. Sure the .cm thing is not good, I'll agree. I don't mind articles that show the good and the bad sides, it's more balanced. Most people have made mistakes with TM typos and so on, especially early on during the wild west days of the internet (late 90's). I'd rather read an article like this than one that's just all positive - these are real issues domainers talk about all the time. You've got to give him credit for being so candid. I just wonder why when you have such a good portfolio of generics, is it necessary to do the Cameroon thing, and plan the same for other countries? Is it all about the money?

H2FC

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The first question that comes to my mind is why aren't the people of cameroon enraged with their government selling out their rights to the .cm extention and if they are why can't they sue and put a stop to it? Don't those people have any rights over there? Heck, if their government wanted to do something like that why do they need a private partner to split the income with? I don't understand it. What if the United States tried to do something like that with the .us extention? I'll bet they wouldn't get very far.

bensd

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The first question that comes to my mind is why aren't the people of cameroon enraged with their government selling out their rights to the .cm extention and if they are why can't they sue and put a stop to it? Don't those people have any rights over there? Heck, if their government wanted to do something like that why do they need a private partner to split the income with? I don't understand it. What if the United States tried to do something like that with the .us extention? I'll bet they wouldn't get very far.
The way i read it, you can still register .cm domains.

It is only un-registered .cm domains that are re-directed

companyone

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I think its a great article and can only help the market for generic keyword domains. It does show a bit of the negitivity of typos etc...but it also shows that market is drying up and TM holders will and are going on the offensive.

I think it shows that "tasting" and "typos" is not the way to go...but he (Ham) like many others including some today use this method as a "stepping stone" to help self fund themselves to bigger and more "ligit" domain activities. This method is just becoming way to "problematic" today and will and is slowly die out.

All and all the article is very positive for the domain industry.

Peace,
Dan

BTW: Is John Berryhill just all over the "domain planet" or what...LOL Way to go John!

RustyK

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Oh well just another day in domain land. Great news and there's we can do about it but just keep on buying. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators