Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

I have been asked for some information about a domain sale...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterMan

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was contacted by someone about a domain name that I had sold a while ago. There was some other information about the name floating around online and that is how the person contacted me. I told them that I no longer own the name and they were wondering if I would give them the information about the person/organization that bought the name. The whois for the name is private. Is it a big deal if I tell this person who I sold the domain to? I am leaning towards not telling them because of the private whois but I am curious if this is a "legal" issue?

Thanks!

PeterMan

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Legal or not, I would assume current owner want to remain private.

Yes I agree and that is why I have not given out the information, just looking for opinions... Thanks!

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would not tell this guy who I sold the domain to as it's unprofessional. On top of that your buyer added whois privacy so it's up to the new guy to find a way to get in touch with the owner.-

- Had your buyer not made his information private then I'd have no problem telling this new buyer how to check the whois database or giving him my buyer's email address so long as it's the same one showing on the whois.-

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They could be looking to buy the name themselves.
If you do have the contact info for the person that bought it from you, you might consider telling this enquirer that you can pass along their information and reason for their inquiry to the owner and let the current owner decide for themselves whether to engage with the party or not.
That would be the proper thing to do.
If the party contacting you for this info finds that arrangement unacceptable, wish them a good day and break off communications entirely with them.
You have no obligation to provide them with anything, but you might consider (as a courtesy), passing along the message as stated above.
Like I said, if this is about them wanting to purchase the name (which is likely is), you'd be doing your buyer a favor by giving him the heads up.
That's what I would do. I certainly wouldn't give up your buyer's identity without their permission though.

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Legal or not, I would assume current owner want to remain private.

Exactly. None of their business.

However, if you can confirm the person you sold it to still has possession, consider passing the contact info along to them, and let them make their own decision as a professional courtesy. If it has changed hands since, probably better to leave it alone.

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They could be looking to buy the name themselves.
If you do have the contact info for the person that bought it from you, you might consider telling this enquirer that you can pass along their information and reason for their inquiry to the owner and let the current owner decide for themselves whether to engage with the party or not.
That would be the proper thing to do.
If the party contacting you for this info finds that arrangement unacceptable, wish them a good day and break off communications entirely with them.
You have no obligation to provide them with anything, but you might consider (as a courtesy), passing along the message as stated above.
Like I said, if this is about them wanting to purchase the name (which is likely is), you'd be doing your buyer a favor by giving him the heads up.
That's what I would do. I certainly wouldn't give up your buyer's identity without their permission though.

Sorry, didn't read the whole thread first. Exactly.

PeterMan

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great advice, it is appreciated! thanks!

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'd assumed this new person most likely wanted to buy the domain from the present owner but there may be other reasons why he wants to contact him and some may not be good.- All the more reason not to provide this guy with any information as it's no longer any of the op's business as the seller of the domain some time back.-

I agree with the posts.- I'd also assumed the op's buyer is still the owner but he might not be.- There's whois privacy so the op has no way of knowing who that is even if he wants to help.-

Would agree with Cartoonz and his idea to contact the buyer you sold the domain to and if it is still him who owns it then let him decide if he wants to contact the new guy.-
But I would not go beyond that even if I thought the sale of the domain would benefit the current owner. - Might upset the op's buyer and he may no longer want to buy from the op.-

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators