Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

ICANN new transfer policies take effect Nov. 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
jberryhill said:
I have to say, yet again, that the general impressions folks seem to have of ICANN's policy processes are beautiful in their innocence.

Ignorance is bliss? :cheesy:

Well, it's live now. Here we all go! :eek:k:

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
jberryhill said:
.....I have to say, yet again, that the general impressions folks seem to have of ICANN's policy processes are beautiful in their innocence.

Not sure what that means John, please explain in a bit of detail if you wish. Thanks.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
trader said:
Not sure what that means John, please explain in a bit of detail if you wish. Thanks.

They don't really know.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not sure what that means John, please explain in a bit of detail if you wish.

It means that the ICANN policy process is more like selecting a Pope than anything in which public input is meaningful. The transfer policy which was recently published took about 3 or 4 years of mind-numbingly stupid deliberations to get where it was. The entire point were complaints circa 2000 that NSI was arbitrarily denying transfers. Changing ICANN policies is like having a glacier rodeo.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mcahn said:
ron,

sorry, it does not work that way. we do not delete the name. it is moved into a disputed account and the real registrant has already been contacted well before that would even happen...

After how much time ... you won't answer that simple question? That alone doesn't inspire confidence.

And when you move the domain(s) into a "disputed account" ... what exactly does that mean...

-is the registrant unable to make changes at that point?

-is the registrant name and/or DNS changed by your company?

-is the domain(s) suspended?

-after how much time would your company delete / resell the domain(s)?

I can't understand why registrars seem to care so little about registrants.

Lastly, some folks have suggested that I shouldn't worry much, since one could sue their registrar if "bad" things happened (ie. change of registrant, dns change, suspension, deletion, etc) to a domain due to a bogus Whois Data Problem Report being filed ... but how likely is such a lawsuit to succeed?

Ron

Reaction score
Ron - I am not sure what you are getting at, however, it is because WE DO care about our registrants/customers and that is why we have this policy - ask any one of them here on the forum....or have you not been reading all those that believe in it or have been turned around to beleive it now?

As I mentioned, the decision to move domains into our disputed account depends on circumstances. As regsitrar/registrars, we follow and abide by the policies laid out to us (not much choice there). As a company that has its first priority to serve its customers in every way it can (lots of choices here), we balance policy and process.

The fact is that not one name has been removed from our 4 registrars and set "free" that should not have been. Believe it or not, that is not very easy to do when you manage close to 1 million domains….however, we do feel we are doing it right. I do not claim to satisfy every one….just the super majority of those that work with us.

To answer your questions - Yes domains are moved to disputed account when it is determined they need to be. They are suspended when they need to be and DNS cannot be managing if a domain is removed from ones account. We do not resell domains that are involved in disputes.....I think I covered all of your questions but feel free to email me at [email protected] if I have not.

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
jberryhill said:
Changing ICANN policies is like having a glacier rodeo.
I like that reference John - "Glacier Rodeo" - HA HA - Steve

deter

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
jberryhill said:
Ron,

Monte has taken a load of flack over his transfer-out policies.

Rightfully so.. the Idea that it is for security is a joke and lets make it clear you represent Monte.. just so everyone is clear on that

mcahn said:
Hey gang,

A lot of you are emailing and IMing me about this so I thought I would let you know where Moniker.com stands on this.

We are treating all transfer out requests as fraud unless we have heard from you - to protect your domains here. Besides locking all of your domains by default, I and my staff look at each transfer out request and make sure it was authorized. We have yet to loose one name due to this high security policy.

[mod]Advertising only in the appropriate forum please.[/mod]

That's FRAUD.. because you know damn well that they are not fraudulent request..

you havent lost any names becauise YOU are the hi-jaker !

Reaction score
Deter - Just so we do make something very CLEAR for you before you loose credibility as others have fighting this issue....John does NOT represent Moniker or me. We do manage many of his clients domains here for very good reasons.

I won't even comment on your other point - not worth it.

deter

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
mcahn said:
Deter - Just so we do make something very CLEAR for you before you loose credibility as others have fighting this issue....John does NOT represent Moniker or me. We do manage many of his clients domains here for very good reasons.

I won't even comment on your other point - not worth it.

Well since you have absolutely no credibility anyways I'm already ahead of you.

Everyone already knows your sleazball tactics to retain names

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
deter said:
Well since you have absolutely no credibility anyways I'm already ahead of you. Everyone already knows your sleazball tactics to retain names

I think the Mods may warn you about what you said to Monte as I think it possibly violates the member TOS as far as attacking members go.

Even when I had past disagreements with Monte I never thought he was a 'sleazeball' but just disagreed with policies (mostly his automatic transfer rejections), and some misc stuff.

Now with the stupid new icann transfer policies I am actually seriously thinking about moving names to Moniker myself.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
where do these people come from?
deter, did you join this forum just to attack Monte?
Where you a member here, perhaps (I am speculating) and maybe you were kicked out and now you are back with a mission?
Get real man.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
deter said:
Rightfully so.. the Idea that it is for security is a joke and lets make it clear you represent Monte.. just so everyone is clear on that

Have you ever considered what it's like working on the side of the registrar
itself?

Believe me when I say it's NEVER easy, especially when trying to balance
accomodating customers' requests while maintaining the security of the
domain names themselves.

All it takes is just one determined hijacker to attempt to exploit a weakness
in a registrar's processes or a domain name's registration. If that happens,
it'll create problems no one wants to be in.

Not the registrar, not the registrant. No one wants those problems.

Been there, done that, don't want to go thru it but found the experience
worth learning.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
right...

Reaction score
John,

Since I have all this "time" on my hands traveling, I wanted to update you that we have had 16 fraudulent transfer requests since the new policy. This is slightly higher than average so it would be interesting to see how the other registrars are fairing.

deter

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
seeker said:
where do these people come from?
deter, did you join this forum just to attack Monte?
Where you a member here, perhaps (I am speculating) and maybe you were kicked out and now you are back with a mission?
Get real man.

I could care lesss about a secnd rate register like Moniker. But I also happen to know these people and think their ethics are sleazy. That's my personal opinon if you dont like then read something else .

Like they say "a fool is born every minute" dont blame me because thats Montes Market

davezan1 said:
Have you ever considered what it's like working on the side of the registrar
itself?

Believe me when I say it's NEVER easy, especially when trying to balance
accomodating customers' requests while maintaining the security of the
domain names themselves.

All it takes is just one determined hijacker to attempt to exploit a weakness
in a registrar's processes or a domain name's registration. If that happens,
it'll create problems no one wants to be in.

Not the registrar, not the registrant. No one wants those problems.

Been there, done that, don't want to go thru it but found the experience
worth learning.

Have you ever had Monte Con screw you over ?

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Unacceptable post Deter - Warning Point issued - please obey the rules on respect toward other members.

deter

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Mr Webname said:
Unacceptable post Deter - Warning Point issued - please obey the rules on respect toward other members.

We arent allowed to post when we have been screwed over by other members ? ?

Dont you have a warning area for Registers to be careful about ?

I would want my fellow domain members to warn me of compnies and members that treat them like crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators