Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

ICANN new transfer policies take effect Nov. 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Personally I like that extra level of security. It’s nice to have that human verification stage rather than just leaving it totally down to automated processes. For this reason all of my best names are at Moniker. As John put it…

“When I want the domain names to stay put, they do, and when I want the domain names to be transferred, they are.”

- Rob

Reaction score
Bidawinner - of course we are going to follow the policy, we own ICANN Accredited registrars. We do have a way to still protect the domains from fraudulent transfer requests. If you read the rules in this thread, fraud or suspicion of fraud are grounds for NACKing and we will NACK if we do not receive pre-approval by our customers to transfer the domains. We already have our new system in place to accomodate the new policy. Our customers will understand how to move names out of our system and in.

The good news is that very few leave, most stay. Our retention rate is the highest in the industry - 89%. Industry average is only 62%. This means that we only look at a handful of transfer outs anyway on a daily basis.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mcahn said:
.....If you read the rules in this thread, fraud or suspicion of fraud are grounds for NACKing and we will NACK if we do not receive pre-approval by our customers to transfer the domains.......

So it seems like you are saying after Nov 12 you plan to simply claim all transfer attempts may be fraud so you will continue to deny the transfers, right? Is that what you are saying Monte?

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mcahn said:
Bidawinner - of course we are going to follow the policy, we own ICANN Accredited registrars. We do have a way to still protect the domains from fraudulent transfer requests. If you read the rules in this thread, fraud or suspicion of fraud are grounds for NACKing and we will NACK if we do not receive pre-approval by our customers to transfer the domains. We already have our new system in place to accomodate the new policy. Our customers will understand how to move names out of our system and in.

The good news is that very few leave, most stay. Our retention rate is the highest in the industry - 89%. Industry average is only 62%. This means that we only look at a handful of transfer outs anyway on a daily basis.

Umm..wasnt me talking to you..

and as far as your retention rate goes..well that hilarious ..of course yo have a great retention rate..you make it a pain in arse to transfer out :laugh"

I've got work to do and you probably have hostages you need to release ..

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
TISSCA said:
Personally I like that extra level of security. It’s nice to have that human verification stage rather than just leaving it totally down to automated processes. For this reason all of my best names are at Moniker. As John put it…“When I want the domain names to stay put, they do, and when I want the domain names to be transferred, they are.” - Rob

Yes, agree the extra security is indeed great IF YOU REQUEST IT, and it is especially good for John Berryhill as he must make sure names are in lockdown that he has in escrow. It's also good for big corporations never needing to do transfers and wanting top security.

The point is if someone does NOT want the hassles and never agreed to accept a total lockdown how can Monte still impose it on you? Plus what about dealing with the poor communications, as told by many members?

Also, when calling support I was told to send another email and also that I need to tell them exactly why I wanted to transfer the name! To be blunt, that is none of their business. Perhaps I may volutarily say why but do not want to be *forced* to give my reasons and likely have a confrontation over the reasons, or have them perhaps match or beat my lower price or free redirect offer, or whatever. I just want to move the name, end of story, no discussions wanted or needed.

Reaction score
Well you guys are starting to sound so much a like.

There will be a procedure in place to pre-approve transfer requests as part of our procedure. If the procedure is not followed, names will be NACKed. We will not only be in ICANN Compliance, our procedures will probably set a new level of security in the industry under the new policy that good registrars will follow.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
RealNames said:
So it seems like you are saying after Nov 12 you plan to simply claim all transfer attempts may be fraud so you will continue to deny the transfers, right? Is that what you are saying Monte?

RealNames, that's pretty unfair, don't you think? He'll be hard-pressed
to prove all transfer attempts may be fraud.

If he can't prove them, ICANN will definitely force him to move those
domains away and impose heavy penalties for this, even revoke his
accreditation.

If you think about that, no one in his/her right mind would do such a
thing, especially with how much the owner invested in putting up such
a business.

You may or may not have heard, but NetSol recently notified their
customers they're turning on their "Domain Protect" lock feature on a
certain date in anticipation of the new transfer rules. The notice adds
that customers can log inside and turn it off afterwards if they still
want to transfer.

If I were in a registrar position, I'd do the same thing: notify the
customers first, lock the domain names later on, remind the customers
they can log inside and turn it off if they wish, and apologize for the
move.

I won't relish doing those, of course. But given the implications these
new rules pose, coupled with the reality that many customers don't
understand how the whole thing works (much more care to take the
time to learn how), I won't take chances with my customers losing
their accounts and their calling me to complain why I let this happen.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
davezan1 said:
RealNames, that's pretty unfair, don't you think? He'll be hard-pressed to prove all transfer attempts may be fraud.....

That sounds like exactly what he is planning to do, in His Own Words he say's nothing will change after Nov 12 as far as denying the transfers are concerned if based on suspicion of fraud. Monte can you confirm this, as requested earlier?

Originally Posted by mcahn - ........you are going to have to follow our policy....even after November 12th. ........If you read the rules in this thread, fraud or suspicion of fraud are grounds for NACKing and we will NACK if we do not receive pre-approval by our customers to transfer the domains.....

Reaction score
That's OK Davezan1, we will know what a fraud attempt is and if the process was not followed.

In any case, I have explained this one to death and I have a hurricane to prepare for. I will check in later.

Take care.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
RealNames said:
That sounds like exactly what he is planning to do, in His Own Words he say's nothing will change after Nov 12 as far as denying the transfers are concerned if based on suspicion of fraud. Monte can you confirm this, as requested earlier?

Sorry about that. I edited my post after some new thoughts came to
mind. :undecided

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
RealNames said:
Just wondering what the name of your registrar is Dave?

Currently it's Go Daddy. But I'm transferring to Omnis.

Go Daddy's fine. But their approach to certain sensitive issues is
too strong a comfort for me, which is why I'm moving away.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
davezan1 said:
Currently it's Go Daddy. But I'm transferring to Omnis. Go Daddy's fine. But their approach to certain sensitive issues is too strong a comfort for me, which is why I'm moving away.

I am also with GD so wondering what you mean as it sounds a bit alarming?

BTW, never heard of Omnis?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
GoDaddy is ran by an illustrious president - there are several threads about GD's censorship antics.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RADiSTAR said:
GoDaddy is ran by an illustrious president - there are several threads about GD's censorship antics.

Have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. What censorship? When you say that kind of stuff and make such allegations you need to go into some detail about it.

As far as I am concerned GD is far and away #1, that is also reflected in their very credible local (see DNJ) and national stature, and high registration numbers as far as their immense popularity goes.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The bottom line is, everyone has their favorite registrar :-D

GoDaddy can lock your account if someone tells them that you allegedly sent them spam from your domain, even if your DNS is not with GD. Also GD has deleted domains that were deemed inappropriate or provocative - much like in the old days when Network Solutions would not register domains containing "4-letter" words.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RADiSTAR said:
The bottom line is, everyone has their favorite registrar :-D GoDaddy can lock your account if someone tells them that you allegedly sent them spam from your domain, even if your DNS is not with GD. Also GD has deleted domains that were deemed inappropriate or provocative - much like in the old days when Network Solutions would not register domains containing "4-letter" words.

Really? that is all news to me and been with them for 2 plus yrs. Theo. Perhaps you should return to DS :-D after all, that is where all the GoDaddy haters hang their hat, a very small but also vocal group, who's main complaint is often navigating thru the several up-sell screens to find the shopping cart checkout page.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I have no intention to 'return' to DS - not after it repeatedly proved to be ran by spineless mods.

Back on-topic: I don't hate GoDaddy, I just choose not to use them. I used GD since 2000 and I was nice enough to help them patch a security hole that revealed customer data by means of cookie manipulation. I did the same service with Stargate - one of my favorite registrars, along with Enom, NameCheap and 000Domains.

For the controversy on GD's tactics you can search online for pending lawsuits or begin at http://www.godaddysux.com

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RADiSTAR said:
I have no intention to 'return' to DS - not after it repeatedly proved to be ran by spineless mods.

Of course, that was only a joke and do not want anyone to go back to DS, instead stay with the #1 forum DNF, who has DS beat by a mile.

Regarding GoDaddy complaints and that website, most all firms will eventually get their share of complaints, as every once in a while things will go wrong and prove impossible to satisfy the customer. That's all I can say about that. My support from GD has always been top notch.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
SEDO advises against having to get approval from your register to transfer your domains:

"You can also place a registrar lock on your domain. This can help prevent it from being transferred, modified, or deleted by a third party. It is also important that you make sure your registrar gives you the ability to unlock your domain at any time without having to call or email them. Otherwise, when you sell a domain name you will have to wait for someone at the registrar to process your request, and then the transfer will take more time, and importantly, it will take more time for you to receive your payment."

Couldnt agree more..this is a fast pace business people want control over their names..

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators