Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

closed [IDN] .com, .com

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

none

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I should point out that Firefox currently resolves IDN and IE does not -- that's why it works for you, and that's why we're all waiting for IE7 to finally debut.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, they work unless you are stuck on IE 6.0.

IE 7.0 will support them!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

none

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
P.S. and about the Russian domains, they are performing the best for us right now. Seem's quite a few major russian sites are gearing up and promoting their urls as idns.

Sarcle, where are you parking your russian domains?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
vtrader said:
I was about to ask the same question :eek:k:

BTW for the unfortunate souls who are still stuck with ie
I use Opera and IDNs are supported. IDNs are also supported by Netscape, Mozilla, Firefox and other browsers...
In fact I assume 'alternate' browsers have about 10% market share and growing so I would expect more IDN traffic. I doubt ie7 will in itself truly kick off IDN usage. IMO it will take some time.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
vtrader said:

I have mine parked at Namedrive presently.

sdsinc said:
I assume 'alternate' browsers have about 10% market share and growing so I would expect more IDN traffic. I doubt ie7 will in itself truly kick off IDN usage. IMO it will take some time.

Yes, they have 10% of US market share, I have no idea what it is in Asia, or Russia.

But I have several Russian domains that are getting 6-10 a day.

Let's assume that that's roughly 10% for argument sake, which I'm sure it's not in asia, and middle east.

That number would be roughly 60-100 a day with full market share, then you have to realize that most people don't realize that they can now type-in their native language so that number would increase even more. The sky will be the limit really.

If you get those two scenerios, then you understand the dragon that will be unleashed with IE7.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sarcle said:
I have mine parked at Namedrive presently.

Yes, they have 10% of US market share, I have no idea what it is in Asia, or Russia.

But I have several Russian domains that are getting 6-10 a day.

Let's assume that that's roughly 10% for argument sake, which I'm sure it's not in asia, and middle east.

That number would be roughly 60-100 a day with full market share, then you have to realize that most people don't realize that they can now type-in their native language so that number would increase even more. The sky will be the limit really.

If you get those two scenerios, then you understand the dragon that will be unleashed with IE7.

Absolutely correct! Once IE 7.0 is released the big corporates will soon recognise the need to rebrand to IDN, once that happens then the traffic will feed off the content and the content will feed off the traffic. It will be the domaining equivalent of a fission chain reaction. Furthermore, the size of the cake will grow with greater accessibility.

No one five years ago was really seeing what would happen to ASCII domains today, just as most cannot see where IDN is going. They cannot see that within 10 years (possibly as little as 5 years) China will be the biggest economy on Earth. They discount Price Purchasing Parity measures of GDP preferring to look a the actual dollar figures. What is being forgotten is that not only is China' economy growing between 15% to 20% in domestic terms because the new industries are being under-accounted, but that progressiverevaluation of the Yuan against the dollar will add another 10%. Furthermore, similar scenarios are unfolding in India and Russia. With increasingly scarce oil resources the Arab world will also become much more influential.

The days when America was the all dominant economic power are drawing to a close. The new powers will reasert their own cultural indentities and the term IDN will be completely forgotten, because for most they will just be domain names. Hell they type them into the browser and they resolve. The fact that all this involves an extra layer of technological complexity will escape the majority of users. Few people really understand how the system works now. All they care about is whether they get to where they want to go. IDN will achieve that for three quarters of the globe where ASCII cannot. What we quaintly refer to as IDN will become the new Lingua Franca of the Internet!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators