Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

closed (IDN single character) .com

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello. (If you cannot see this IDN correctlly goto VIEW, ENCODING, Greek(win) in your browser )

I would like your appraisal for the domain Σ.com (upper case) ,σ.com (lower case).

Σ (sigma) = Greek alphabet character (letter)

[It is an IDN domain with encoding xn--4xa.com]

[to view this in your browser use Mozilla firefox here ]

[Or until IE 7 comes out .. view this in your IE browser download this]

Thanks

Domain Summit 2024

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well I can't really give a market value as such a thing doesn't really exist just yet. All we can do for the time being is give a minimum value that you should accept, due to the near-future potential of these domains.

I would say that these are amongst the most valuable of the Greek Letters and that Greek Letters have special conatations because of the role in education especially mathematics. They also have a role in the Greek Market.

Google Scores are 10M each, which whilst modest by IDN standards are massive compared with the Mylifestorydomainnames.com that appear on this forum.

Overture Score is 260 which is not huge.

I would say that to let them go for less than $1,000 would be foolish and less than $2,000 each, very unwise!

If you have problems getting meaningful appraisals here, I would suggest you try at link deleted.

[mod]You are not allowed to post links and/or URLs to other domain-related forums.[/mod]
Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

T

tekz999

dwrixon said:
If you have problems getting meaningful appraisals here, I would suggest you try at *

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

:undecided

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Fredo said:
Are those letters on the greek keyboard ? Market will be very limited, basically limited to the number of people that have the letter on their keyboard...

Well that would seem logical, but then somebody must have them to have generated 10 Million pages.

Alternatively, could be bloody handy way of making sure you don't get unsolicited email:-D

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

none

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I echo Fredo's opinion. Do most greek users use conventional european Qwerty keyboards?

I'm very bullish on IDNs where there's a large population of users who routinely type in their native characters.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Don't think this is going to be a major issue. You can get drivers that allow you to easily generate the phonetic equivalents, overlays for a few dollars and a full bilingual keyboard is only about $50. I would think that anyone who wants one, would just go out and get one!

Best regards
Dave Wrixon

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't see how these have value? Maybe with the old IE 6 I am using I am limited to visit any of these names. Who knows, they may be worth something overseas. Especially when you have a square that means cash in some language.

none

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I hear you... but I don't want to rely on people to have to go and get a special keyboard overlay. I'm interested in whatever is the default keyboard option for the majority of users, whereever they may be.

Mathematica power-users excepted of course ;-)

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
jdk said:
I don't see how these have value? Maybe with the old IE 6 I am using I am limited to visit any of these names. Who knows, they may be worth something overseas. Especially when you have a square that means cash in some language.

Upgrade to Firefox. Download and install in minutes. Change your life for good! Thunderbird the email server is even better!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I see limited use for single character.
Novelty item IMHO.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
sdsinc said:
Novelty item IMHO.

Well Yahoo obviously don't think so as they have applied for International Trade Marks on Y.com which still IANA reserved!!!

Six Categories. Course what do they know???

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

ctc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well.. Let me clarify some things from my point of view.

1. Yes. Greeks do have keyboards with Greek characters (greek alphabet on them).

2. Language Characters in Greek, and other languages, are easily installed on every computer, and you can swtich between these intalled languages, with ("Atl" "Shift") . No Need for "special" keyboards.see this..

3. Single characters like these are easlily remebered and are after all single character dot coms..

4. Since there are No English single character dot coms (minor exceptions), the next best thing are the single Greek character dot coms.
Why? Because they are recognised and used everywhere in the world (China, USA, Europe etc). In Science, Medicine, Law, Business etc.

5. Even with the IDN market the way it is now, I get a lot of type ins for this and my other ones.

6. When IE7 finally arrives, the IDN market will finally get the push it was waiting for. Lets be honest, it is the most used Browser.

7. If you are thinking of IDNs from the Angloamerican point of view, then you do not understand IDNs and will not fully appreciate their use.

8. Last but not least.. The internet, believe it or not is not only used by English speaking people :-D .

sdsinc said:
Novelty item IMHO.

If I had a company called hmmm.. lets say delta..I would KILL to have Δ.com ..

After all, how many people or companies do you know, that have a recognizable single character dot com that fits their image, name or brand...

I only know two.
But thats just me..

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Way to go!

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ctc said:
If I had a company called hmmm.. lets say delta..I would KILL to have Δ.com ..
Obviously. If that company is Greek and catering to the Greek market.
But the French, the Germans, the Americans, in fact most of the Internet users don't have the Δ symbol on their keyboard. Do not expect a lot of type-in traffic. Except from the Greek of course.
OK you tell us you have some type-in... would be interesting to see where it's coming from.

I don't want to sound US- or even Euro-centric but one has to recognize that the ASCII alphabet is used worldwide. Examples: passports even from Russia or other countries have the name of the holder printed in Latin alphabet. Same goes for credit cards: name is embossed in Latin characters. Even if it's a Japanese or Korean card.

Obviously the reverse doesn't hold true.

IDNs are fine but you have to keep in mind that Greek is not a major language.
Unlike Japanese or Chinese for example.
I don't believe it's much spoken outside Greece and Cyprus.

My point is that Δ.com may be difficult to market globally. This could be a nice name, in addition to a another, primary domain (eg. delta.com).
Just trying to provide some insight.
I stand by my opinion.
But I wish you well. I really hope you will make it in DNjournal top sales :eek:k:
Let us know how it goes.

none

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's hard to find fault with ctc's points; they're very persuasive.

That said, I do agree with sdsinc, when he states that Δ.com will be 'difficult to market globally'. It may be easy to alter your keyboard layout, but most traffic will be derived from default keyboard layouts.

What I'm trying to say is that IDN traffic will be a function of their respective domestic market. I know... obvious.

In smaller markets, major domains, like Δ.com, will probably do well, simply because they're prime real estate. On the other hand, domains on the long-tail of quality probably won't do as well as they do in the US.

ctc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your comments so far.
More of them are welcome.
I think is great getting so much points of views.
If we dont share our opinions we will never know the truth.
:)

silverdom

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i wouldn't keep this name , but would sell to some company with Sigma in their name.

Bramiozo

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The comments on the obvious lack of type-ins are not to be dismissed just like that but it shouldn't be regarded as funest, the (obvious) added-value of these symbols is their uniqueness, their recognizability and their general connotation.
The power of these symbols off course lies in their marketing potential, if you want to say anything useful about the value then this should be adressed properly, that and the precedence of sales.

If you say, "it's a novelty item" then your stuck in 2000, update yourself to 2005, it's mighty refreshing I tell ya.

You all seem to be forgetting that most traffic comes from links and search-engines, if type-ins were as important as you suggest, the acronyms would plummet in value.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bramiozo said:
You all seem to be forgetting that most traffic comes from links and search-engines, if type-ins were as important as you suggest, the acronyms would plummet in value.
Absolutely agree. But if you have a name that most Internet users cannot type in it's a bit problematic IMHO. On the other hand I would assume most web users, even in the Far East or elsewhere, can switch to ASCII keyboard layout when needed (because Latin characters are sometimes needed: a Japanese presumably goes to yahoo.com just like anybody else), so IDNs are still at a disadvantage.
Now if the company is Greek, has a website in Greek and does not care about the rest of the world and other languages it's OK (ie. for national use).
Well I know IDN debates are often heated but there are sensible views here :cheesy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom