Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

If Cigarettes were invented today, do you think they would be legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They should all be legal but have high tax's. Cigs tax's need to decrease because I spend to much on a pack. NavySeals has no idea what he's talking about. /thread

Salient

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually, I see it as thought-provoking. Just as Ashaw likely felt when posting this thread. You wont catch me fighting about any topic.

I am, however, padding my post stats and might be accused of spamming in short order. :::ducks out:::

NavySeals91

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So Yall want cocaine and heroin to be legal? I'm out...this forum is becoming drugee galore.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Canada just kills me because they want to legalize marijuana but outlaw cheeseburgers (not literaly, but you know what I mean).

I'm not one for legislating morality, I just ask for consitency. In the U.S. a woman can have an abortion because of "right to privacy" but she can't take drugs or get paid money to have sex. Shouldn't that same supposed "right to privacy" apply there? And the group that feels strongest about her abortion rights don't think she should have the right to own a gun. It's kind of like "we're for all your personal rights...as long as we agree with them".

Like I said, I don't much believe in forcing Morality through legislation, I would just like to see a little consitency from Conservatives and Liberals alike.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Like I said, I don't much believe in forcing Morality through legislation, I would just like to see a little consitency from Conservatives and Liberals alike.

I would tend to agree...I don't care what my neighbor is doing, assuming he is not harming me or anyone else. If he wants to shoot up in his own house, that's fine. If he wants to hire a women who agrees to pleasure him for an agreed upon price, that's fine.

Am I supporting drug use and prostitution? No. I am saying we must give fellow citizens the option to make their own decisions and live with the consequences.

I don't do drugs and I don't drink all that often, I find it rather pathetic some people need chemicals to feel good...but anyways that's their problem and they should have to deal with it.

But thanks for confirming my view NavySeals that you are nothing more than a misguided, ultra-conservative who insults others first and does his research after.

NavySeals91

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But thanks for confirming my view NavySeals that you are nothing more than a misguided, ultra-conservative who insults others first and does his research after.

Guess I care for people and would rather see them not exposed to this shit rather than saying too bad, your fault. Persecute me for having a damned conscience.

(Drugee galore...like drugee heaven which means in the way I meant it, y'all support drugs to death.)

NavySeals91

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
However, there is not point in arguing this hence America will never fall for this crap...legalized drugs will never happen in America...nor do I think they will follow through in Canada.

insomnia

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow NavySeals, you have huge misconceptions about drugs.

Theres a great episode of Penn & Teller: Bullshit, where they investigate marijuana. There has never been a death attributed solely to marijuana like other drugs. It is not a gateway drug. Marijuana doesn't make people violent out of their mind.

Furthermore, if your nation is truely free, shouldn't you be allowed to put whatever you want in your own body as your own choice?

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As far as cigarettes are concerned. Yes they are bad for you. Just as bad as alcohol and other drugs are. I'm a smoker and my dad is currently in the middle of being consumed with cancer due his years of smoking. Now ofcourse I don't want to see this happen and I should quit aswell but I haven't as of yet.

Is it your or anyone else's business if I do continue to smoke? No.. I'm a respectable smoker. I smoke outside when at home and don't smoke in public places (except for bars) . Which brings us to another isssue. The governments putting bans on smoking in bars in various cities/states. I spent many years in that business and I can tell you first hand that smokers are the best clientel. They are the ones who will likely run up their tab on drinks and they are generally the best tippers.

There is a little neighborhood cafe not too far from me. They decided to be a non-smoking establishment. So now what you have on any given night is about 5-10 people standing out on the side of the street smoking cigarettes. Before I realized this a friend and I went to there to have a drink. We go to light one up and were told we have to smoke outside. Being the smokers we are, we left and went to a place where smokers are welcome. It's that simple. As a non-smoker you should accept that in a bar there's going to be smoke. If you don't like it go somewhere like the above. As a smoker, cigs and alcohol go hand in hand literally. A beer in one and a cig in another. If I can't smoke in a bar there's no reason for me to go there..

NavySeals91

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess my misconception is a fact I will not sway from, drugs are deadly (However, marijuana can't kill you by smoking in your basement...unless you are playing with loaded guns or swords. DWS is deadly, pure THC is deadly). Various people I know started smoking petty stuff, then moved on to oxys and X. So people strive for more highs once they are addicted. Do I care if people smoke pot? No, some of my best friends do the stuff. Do I get concerned when their life is centered around it and it changes them? Who the hell wouldn't?

Can this forum thread sway politicians minds about drugs? Hell no. Are drags bad for your braincells and overall health? Hell yes. Am I a moralist? Maybe, but doesn't everyone have a way of living they go by, I mean cmon people ridicule morals but that is the reason why they can live without fear. Who would want to worry about someone not liking them, killing them, and no retrobution for it? Laws are based on common sense, morals, and personal safety. Am I a health freak? You bet I am, all this fast food crap and drugs just hinders physical and mental performance.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is a little neighborhood cafe not too far from me. They decided to be a non-smoking establishment. So now what you have on any given night is about 5-10 people standing out on the side of the street smoking cigarettes. Before I realized this a friend and I went to there to have a drink. We go to light one up and were told we have to smoke outside. Being the smokers we are, we left and went to a place where smokers are welcome. It's that simple. As a non-smoker you should accept that in a bar there's going to be smoke. If you don't like it go somewhere like the above. As a smoker, cigs and alcohol go hand in hand literally. A beer in one and a cig in another. If I can't smoke in a bar there's no reason for me to go there..

Canadian cities heard this same type of argument when they stopped smoking in bars and restaurants - that their business would go down. In fact, their business went up. There are far more non-smokers than smokers. And smokers being the addicted types still want to eat and drink and will comply with regulations that push them outside or into special rooms to smoke while doing so.

The side-effect of banning smoking in public places is that rates of smoking are slowly going down across all age brackets.

I still think people should be allowed to do whatever they want to their own bodies. It's a classic Libertarian thought, but it makes sense - we must adhere to people's personal freedoms.

As for the whole morality of what people can and can't do and what the government should be doing about it - as long as others aren't being harmed, the government should have no say in it beyond taking their cut in taxes. A former Canadian Prime Minister said it best - “The state has no business in the bedrooms of the nation.” :nod:

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying the bars will shut down. I personally would rather sit on my front porch and drink a $6 six pack and smoke my cigarette rather than going somewhere and spend $6 a beer only to have to go outside to smoke. It just won't happen while I'm a smoker. If/When I do quit mabey. But if I quit smoking I'll also likely quit drinking so therefore there will be no need for me to go to a bar. Restaurants are a different thing altogether I don't smoke in them anyway atleast not in the dinning area. The bar mabey.

As far as business increasing I would love to see the factual figures on that. I honestly don't see how the link could ever be factually proven. More or less I don't believe it. My experience is coming from being in the restaurant/bar business and dealing with smokers and non-smokers. Smokers are going to drink and are likely to have after dinner drinks along with thier after dinner smoke in turn increasing their tab. They are likely the ones who will move over to the bar and have additional drinks and are also generally better tippers because they are accustom to being in that enviornment and to tipping.

typeins

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If they could tax them, then yes they probably would be legal.

Althought far less people would smoke them in my opinion.

NavySeals91

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Therefore they will seek illegal dealers.

NavySeals91

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
pretty interesting, I am watching right now.

NavySeals91

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Navy, a particular line you should really absorb... "drugs should become legalized because of their dangers not because their safe".

Further in, it says how marijuana increases schizophrenia. Also it increases laziness and it realesses the chemical dopamine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom